85 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2013 10:00 AM by gliese RSS

IOS 6

djjchapman

Just upgraded my iPad and the sling player app has immediately stopped working - get about 60 seconds max, then a blank screen whilst it reconnects for about 15 seconds.

Can't be my Internet connection since iPhone on ios5 works perfectly - any ideas?

• Re: IOS 6
          jblangston

If youve done a iPad backup in iTunes, can you restore downgrade?  I had this concern and was waiting for a message that sling was compatible with the new iOS before allowing the upgrade.

jakemjones

Having same problem.

djjchapman

Alas don't want to jailbreak my iPad so I can't restore ios5

djjchapman

Any chance of somebody from slingbox replying to this?

mcullinane

Same here.  Help with fix guys??

mcullinane

Ok, I played around with ipad slingbox settings, and found my slingbox will work if I change from HD to SD quality. 

Not the best fix, but works for now.   Significant decrease in quality of image.  

cwrich50

I am having same problem after upgrading iPad to iOS6!!  Come on SlingBox, get it figured out!!

djjchapman

Tech support have contacted me and are working the issue. Will post any update when I have it.

perrymurphy

I had similar problem after upgrading my iPhone 4s to IOS 6. I have two slingboxes, on old Slingbox Pro from 2007 and a newer Slingbox Pro HD from 2011. My iPhone could connect and stream to the old Slingbox Pro with no issue. However, when I connected to the Slingbox Pro HD, I just got a spinning wheel for 5 minutes and it could never connect. After seeing this post, I changed my streaming on the Slingbox Pro HD from HQ to SQ. Now, it will at least connect and stream. So there does appear to be a problem streaming HQ video after the IOS 6 update. Will check this forum to hopefully see news of a fix later...

esliwinski Newbie

Same problem here.  Work in SD but not Auto or HD on my iPad 2 with iOS 6.  Please address ASAP.

Hoamer

I have the exact same problem, and when I called Slingmedia yesterday with my suspicion of iOS 6, they claimed no one else had called with the same problem or suspicion.

Seems ok if I "downgrade" to standard quality, but I didn't pay almost $300 (between the slingbox and slingplayer) to watch in SD.

I changed every variable in the equation: I swapped out the modem, the router, and the Internet connection on my iPad.  Still got the same symptoms.

How long will it take for slingmedia to address the issue/ update the player for iPad? For a ****** $30 app, it better be fast.

johngg Newbie

Ah yes -    Exactly the same for me sd works fine on my iPad 2 but not on auto and hd!         Don't  expect a quick fix it took them a year to improve (not perfect). The sound issue with last update -     John

jfish303

I take back my problem about netflix.  Just watched transformers on netflix on the same network that I use at work for slingbox.  As with others slingbox only works in SD.  An acknowledgment that a problem exists and that it is being investigated and worked on would be a good first step as far as I am concerned

alanrichey42 Master

What no-one here is saying (apart from the previous post, which wasn't there when I drafted this post ) is whether they are experiencing problems with viewing locally or if it is just remotely.   That is very important for Sling to know if they are monitoring this forum and trying to track down the problem.

Personally i am having no problem accessing my pro-HD on my LAN in Auto or HQ.   Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a fast enough upload speed at my remote location to test HQ so it happily connects to that remote box in SQ.

BTW, there is some incorrect terminology creeping in as well that might confuse people.  The selections are High Quality(HQ) and Standard Quality (SQ), NOT High Definition (HD) and Standard Definition (SD).   Sling have never claimed to stream pure HD over a remote link, just a better quality picture.

jfish303

They should be able to replicate and troubleshoot on their own. Mine happens on the remote network. Have not tried locally

mcullinane

If I am not mistaken, the excerpt below does claim to offer HD (1080i) remotely, does it not?  

But I agree with you, the setting buttons are HQ and SQ, not HD and SD...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slingbox PRO-HD

Features

Tech Specs

Connections

Compare Slingboxes

FAQ

PhotoMovie

Get Adobe Flash player

Take your entire high-definition (HD) home theater with you wherever you go with the Slingbox PRO-HD.  Connect to multiple A/V sources and tune into your favorite TV shows, sporting events and special programming in stunning, true-to-life 1080i high definition. The PRO-HD gives you the same features and ease of use as the Slingbox SOLO plus a high-quality HD viewing experience—anywhere in the world.  Easily connect up to three of your A/V sources to the PRO-HD and take your entire entertainment center with you—on your laptop, tablet*, smartphone* or connected device.

EASILY CONNECT EVERYTHING

Connect to up to three A/V sources, such as your DVR, digital cable set-top box and DVD player/recorder.

TAKE CONTROL

Take complete control of your home theater via the web with the comprehensive and easy-to-use on-screen remote control and Electronic Program Guide (EPG).

TUNE IN TO 1080i HD

Watch your favorite shows in stunning HD over the Internet on Mac or PC laptop, tablet, smartphone or connected device—from anywhere.

*Download sold separately

alanrichey42 Master

It does doesn't it ?   Although if you read it carefully they don't actually promise 1080p remotely, just an HD experience

And as far as I know the resolution used on the iPad Slingplayer is just 640x480, so they can't display real HD on that anyway.

mcullinane

Well, that may be, but here is the wording from Slingbox's site, re the  Slingbox HD:

"Watch your favorite shows in stunning HD over the Internet on Mac or PC laptop, tablet, smartphone or connected device—from anywhere."

Interesting.   

But more importantly, when will the Slingbox ProHD play HQ, again ?!?

trwinbm

I'm having the same problem.  I can watch TV on my IPAD, but get a lot of buffering outside my wifi connection; problem started with I06 update.  This problem with slingox need to be address. 

adam437

Doesn't work on either video setting it just keeps spinning

JimCallinan

I can connect on Standard Quality, but not high.  This is over both my LAN and over Verizon LTE.  Tried with both an iPhone 5 and iPad 3.

esliwinski Newbie

Jim is just more proof. He had the latest OS and hardware. This is an iOS 6 issue with Slingplayer. They need to address this.

tip123

Worked great on IOS 5 on HQ.  Occasional stutter, but very rare freeze or disconnect.  Now with IOS 6 constant recurrent dark screen with spinning gear on HD.  On IOS 6 with SQ, marked degrade in resolution.  While SQ on IOS 6 has less dark screen than HQ on IOS 6, there is still more stuttering and disconnect than with IOS 5 on HQ.  Now similar performance problems as slingcatcher.  IOS 5 and HQ was so much more reliable.

Since apple will not allow downgrade back to IOS 5, Sling needs to address this immediately.

TheDudica

Same here. Verizon iPhone 5 and iOS 6 (obviously). I can watch in SQ, but not HQ.

nhtracker

I am also posting on this issue to bring awareness of it to the folks at Sling. Like everyone else, I too have a slingbox pro HD and had been using slingplayer on both my cell phone and iPad just fine using iOS 5. After upgrading to iOS 6, Slingplayer seemed to work fine using  "auto" or "HD" mode while at home on my LAN. However, I left home in Phoenix a couple days ago and tried using slingplayer on both devices in Washington, DC. Like everyone else, slingplayer now defaults to standard quality when it connects. Manually forcing it to auto or HD mode causes freezing and the endless rotating "buffering" gear on the screen. In other words,  auto and HD mode via the Internet are rendered useless when using iOS 6 with proper bandwidth on both ends. Furthermore, unless you force it back to SD mode, you will get an error message and subsequent disconnect. From DC I have since traveled to Belgium and I have the exact same issues here in Belgium that I did in DC as well.

I sincerely hope the folks at Sling fix the iOS 6 compatibility issue very soon. I'll be honest, I was looking forward to using my slingbox in HD quality while here in Belgium. I don't speak any of the local languages so watching my TV from home made sense. While I can still watch it in SD, I was counting on HD. HD just looks better, obviously.

johngg Newbie

Update using solo and ipad ios 6 back home on lan.

works well on

sd 1 dot max 2072 kbps

hq 3 dots and auto streaming max 4032 kbps

same as ios 5

come on sling manup and acknowledge the problem -  we understand its complicated

and will wait for update no probs.

Octron

... Same for me in Germany ... SQ works with some time-out  ... HQ only spinning ... with iOS5 all went well. Please fix it immediately. Thank You.

drummin82

Same problem here. It stops after one minute and goes to black screen on "auto quality" and "high Quality" on my iphone 4s with ios6. I can, however, watch on standard quality.

tcaradonna Novice

Really pathetic.  I'm getting scores of updates for other apps on on the iphone.  None of which cost $29.

ACC117297

Same issue

djjchapman

Email string from support on this issue, not over reassuring but at least they are looking at it.

Hi Darren,

We’re currently investigating the issue and will provide a fix for it as soon as possible.  I’ll let you know when it’s available.

Thanks,

Winston

From: Darren djjchapman@googlemail.com

Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 10:12 AM

To: Gor, Winston

Cc: Darren

Subject: Re: SlingPlayer issue

Any update on this issue?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 22, 2012, at 12:17 AM, "Gor, Winston" <Winston.Gor@slingmedia.com> wrote:

Thanks Darren.

Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 2:39 PM

Sorry for delay replying

Email

Password

Thanks

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 21, 2012, at 10:38 AM, "Gor, Winston" <Winston.Gor@slingmedia.com> wrote:

Thanks Darren.  Could you provide your Sling account and password?

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 21, 2012, at 5:16 AM, "Darren" <djjchapman@googlemail.com> wrote:

Yes that's ipad3

Tried all picture quality but my default is HQ

And yes this happens repeatedly during a session

Happy for them to access my sling player whenever they want as I will not be using it until this issue is fixed

Thanks

Darren

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 20, 2012, at 11:01 PM, "Gor, Winston" <Winston.Gor@slingmedia.com> wrote:

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the information.  Is that the iPad 3?  Also, what picture quality setting were you using (e.g., Auto, HQ, SQ)?   From your forum posting, it seems that the blank screen happens for 15s and then the video continues?  This happens repeatedly during a viewing session?

Would you mind if our developers accessed your Sling account to investigate?  E.g., between the hours of 1am-5am PST?

Thanks,

Winston

Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:31 PM

Device iPad new and iphone4 and 4g

Using slingbox pro hd details as follows:

Slingbox Info

Slingbox ID: 2CA66C650ED9AE4D8B55BFDB83140B22

Slingbox Software Version: 2.1.350

Internet Viewing

Set Up Complete: Yes

Slingbox Public IP Address: 82.12.136.116

Slingbox Private IP Address: 192.168.0.254

Slingbox Port: 5001

Slingbox Access Info

Activation Date: 01-02-2012

Date Last Accessed: 04-10-2012

Happens every time - all approx 60 seconds in.

Yes still happening (and if you check forum postings it is happening to other users as well)

Using wifi LAN - also tried on other wifi networks as well as my home network - same issue.

Thanks for your help.

Rgds

Darren

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 20, 2012, at 4:40 PM, "Gor, Winston" <Winston.Gor@slingmedia.com> wrote:

Hi,

I’m a product manager at Sling Media, and I understand that you had an issue on iOS 6 and use of SlingPlayer.  I have a few questions:

1)      What device is it?  And generation?

2)      What Slingbox are you connecting to?

3)      How consistently does this happen?

4)      Is it still happening?

5)      Are you accessing on 3G/4G or on wifi?  If wifi, LAN wifi or WAN wifi?

-

Slingplayer had been working perfectly. Just upgraded to ios6 and now I can only get about 60 seconds of viewing time before i get a black screen for 15 seconds whilst t reconnects.  Works fine on my iPhone still on ios5 so it can't be my Internet connection - please advise  Djjchapman@gmail.com

Thanks,

Winston

Starsfan2012

I think this could have something to do with LTE being enabled on the device. I'm using an iPhone 5 on AT&T and disabled wifi and LTE, then loaded the app on Auto quality setting to see if it paused any. It loaded in high quality and worked flawlessly on what AT&T is calling 4G but is really just HSPA+ running. Like everyone else, I have no issue running the app on my home wifi network but did on my work's network, which is a 500 MB network. So, I figured I'd try an experiment tomorrow at work and disable LTE and see how it works on the wifi network there. I will report back with any findings tomorrow on it but it seems plausible that could be at least a factor in the video issue we are experiencing.

tjbinno Newbie

Yup.  Just wanted to reinforce this problem.

Have used it regularly remotely for 2 months, both PC and iPad.   2 days ago updated wo IOS 6, of course no change on PC but iPad dies after about 10-20 seconds.  It connects, does something that says it can't connect.

Right now setting to SQ on the iPad seems to bypass the problem.

rydutt

I hope they're working on a fix for this soon.  Once the development patch is made it will have to go through the Apple Store approval process to become generally available.  Additionally, it would be nice, while they're there, to update all the iOS applications to properly support AirPlay.  Currently I get black bars on the top and bottom of my screen.  However when using a proper AirPlay application like Plex it works beautifully.

Sling Media, please, please, please, please update your iOS applications to properly function.  At a $30 price point you should be on top of this!

mcullinane

Airplay from slingbox for ipad does not format onto my HDTV without significant problem w aspect, I.e. unable to fit screen.

Would be wonderful if this was fixed also. 

Please, it is football season and I want to watch my teams play, even when not in home market...!!

johngg Newbie

Not being a cynical type however it might embarras sling into prompt action!

Competition -  weeks for a fix

I'll take 17 weeks

mcullinane

If not fixed by end of October, will have to consider dumping service for something else, like NFL Season Pass or Hulu

jfish303

You think they would at least have someone in commumications that release a brief statement as to what is going on and when they anticipate a fix

Octron

So many money for the hardware and extra software but no direct answer from "slingbox" ... that is very disappointing.

esliwinski Newbie

Unfortunately, this seems to be how they operate. They make a fine product, but their communication is awful and it takes them forever to do any development. I honestly would be surprised if this is fixed before Thanksgiving.

tip123

Hi All.  Like everyone, I have had to drop to SQ from HQ for all to work on my ipad with IOS 6.  Even on SQ now I am having a lot of freezing, requiring "disconnect" and re-"connect" (just like with SlingCatcher).  My slingbox wifi upload speed is 2000, and download wifi to my ipad is 18000.  This freezing was not occuring on IOS 5 with HQ.  Is anyone else now having this new freezing problem on IOS 6 with SQ?  Thanks.

rlp2955

I assume that the issue I am having is related to this as well.  Mine happens over my local wi-fi with a 30MB down and 5MB up connection.  If I stream to my laptop using the Sling website, I get consistent speeds of 5-6MB with a disconnect rarely.  However, using the iPad 3 and the Slingplayer app on iOS6, I usually start out with a connection around 2-3MB in Auto or HQ mode...but then randomly the spinning wheel will start up and it will drop me all the way down to 632kbps out of the clear blue.  It usually takes about 10-30 seconds to start back up...and then happens again within the next 20 mins.

It's hard for me to say whether this is an iOS6 issue as I don't use the Slingplayer on my Ipad a ton but I don't recall having the buffering/stuttering issues previous to iOS6.  It has to be something with iOS though considering I have no issues with my laptop connection to the Slingbox.

cwrich50

I don't even have the option of selecting "HQ" or "Auto" any longer???

Anyone else...

sbar110 Newbie

same issues....just started today.....was working beautifully.

rlp2955

yep, same problem here now.  If I delete the Slingplayer app from my iPad and reinstall, it gives me Auto and HQ options.  If I close it and relogin, it greys out Auto and HQ and defaults to SQ.  Looks like Sling is aware of it from all the other posts.

sbar110 Newbie

Yes….i tried deleting and reinstalling with the same results…

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, by you is strictly prohibited.

v.E.1

hilel757

Me too, since yesterday I think that they disabled the option since those problems

srwillett

I should have read this earlier before I reset everything and checked all my router settings.  I am not using iOS 6 but both my slingplayer apps (iPhone and iPad) no longer show HQ or Auto as an option.  Just started today.  I have a Solo and Pro HD.  Same results on all whether I am local on wifi or remote on 3G or wifi.

tjbinno Newbie

Yup, last night experimented and no Auto or HQ, always SQ.

tip123

Even on SQ setting, are others having problems with frequent freezing of the video that did not happen with IOS 5?

hightower Newbie

This problem also exists on iOS 5.1.1 on 2 iPads (2nd gen) and a 4th gen iPod and an iPhone 4S via WiFi or 3G. So it's not just iOS devices with the new iOS 6.  This problem popped up 2 days ago and just coincided with everyone upgrading to iOS 6.

My thinking is SlingBox decided to try and patch the iOS apps at the server level to work with iPhones 5's 16x9 display, rather than update the app itself.  As we all know, somethng has gone very wrong.

sbar110 Newbie

Still no updates from the folks at Sling?  it's been days now, and it would be great to understand exactly what is going on!  Just a brief posting on the website acknowledging the issue, providing an update on status, and an ETA for resolutions would be much appreciated!

Given the magnitude of the issues (all Apple products are experiencing the same issues), I would have assumed that Slingbox would be proactive about communicating to their loyal customers, if not just to reduce the volume of calls to the support line and to keep the negative posts to a minimum.

I hope they have prioritized this as a critical defect and have adequate resources focused on getting this resolved.......ASAP.

Anyone from Sling support out there to provide an update?

shaysfn Novice

Hey sbar110,

Thanks for using our Answers Forum.  I understand that you are looking for an ETA as to when this issue with the apple products and our Slingplayer app will be resolved.

Let me assure you that our engineering team is working diligently on getting this issue resolved.  I do not have a firm ETA as to when this will be resolved, but it is definitely a priority with us here at Sling Media.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team 

Hoamer

If legit, this is heartening.  I've always hated when companies go completely mute on an issue like this; at least they acknowledged that there is an issue and its being investigated.

guidobianchi

The absence of io6 compatibility testing has deeply changed my opinion of Sling company...

To use ipad Slingplayer on ipad in hq mode (not even in hd) i have had to upgrade the Slingbox from pro to pro-hd and to buy a dedicated ipad app.

probertson2

It's not only an IOS 6 problem.  I have an iPad 1(IOS 5) and an iPad 3(IOS 6)  and both exhibit the same behavior.

This only started happening a few days ago, so this probably Slingbox firmware.

isuarez77

I also have this problem since I upgraded to I OS 6. I have uninstalled the app, I have disconnected the Slingbox, turned it off and on, tried resetting the router and still nothing. We all spent good money on our sling boxes and apps, how could they not be prepared for iOS 6 or LTE?

tip123

Even on SQ, is anyone else experiencing frequent freezing that they did not experience before upgrading to IOS 6?

fedolan

i have the Pro HD at my home in Calif but am in Chile for 5 months.   My iPad app was working fine on IOS6 and SQ (I always use SQ as I don't have fast enough wifi in areas where I travel) BUT as soon as I updated to the latest version of the slingbox app on my Ipad a couple of days ago, it will connect on "Auto" but NOT on SQ and I can only watch on SQ so I am very disappointed.   Wish I had a fix for it or i could go back to the previous version of the iPad APP which DID work on SQ... 

GREG@MERILLI.COM

this is happening across all apple devices.  The only way around it is to delete and re-install the app. however, you only get the auto and hq on the first activation of the app.  if you close the app and re-start hq and auto go away.  you then have to delete and re-install the app.

I have been using sling boxes since the first units where manufactured.  ever since Dish bought the company they have only used the technology to improve Dish networks satelite service.  They would probably like to dump the whole slingbox support and only support it through their own Dish box.

I ran a 30 foot HDMI cable just to use the display out on my IPAD(only available through HQ).  Now I am reduced to the re-install method above to watch my slingbox.  Dish is technologically incompetent and should offer slingbox technology back to the original owners.

drhglobal

Reinstalling the app doesn't work with the new i5 and ios 6.

On the phone with Slingbox for two hours today.  Have been using since January 2012.  Using Solo with ios when the whole SB system crashed.  Slingbox sent me a new unit and told me HD would work on my laptop, but not on my apple devices.  Now it looks like you can only input HD devices, but you can't watch HD - only SD - what a waste and faulty/misleading advertizing as well! 

Using ios 5 on Ipad2 had to delete and restart the app - picture is very choppy and pixtelated, but it works.  Same problem with ios 6 on my wife's iphone 4s - eventually got the picture up and running, low quality picture and extremely choppy.  Finally, tried to start up app on my iphone 5 (64gb) and couldn't even get a signal - error said my SB wasn't connected to the internet (same advisory with all of the units) but when I deleted and re-installed the app, I couldn't even get the advisory - just a non responsive screen.  Tech on the phone today told me to stay clear of using IOS 6 for another couple of weeks...was the fourth person I've spoken with in the last two weeks and the first to put an approximate date on the "update".

Maybe it will be fixed in time to watch this year's national championship - go Bucks! (Oh, sorry, my bad, the Bucks are ineligible for a bowl game in 2013 - so it looks like we'll have to wait until 2014 for the new and improved Slingbox and the Bucks in the national championship game in 2014!)

drummin82

They updated the app. Still no auto or hq but standard is much more bearable. It says it will be fixed by the end of October.

djjchapman

Just updated myself - I get HQ but still the same problem with the 60 seconds drop off.

esliwinski Newbie

I got Auto and HQ back on both an ipad 2 with iOS 6 and an iPhone 4 with iOS 5. Auto and HQ don't work on the iPad. They freeze up constantly. SQ works fine. You just can't AirPlay it. On the iPhone Auto was working well. Is it an iOS 6 thing?  Could be, but I am not upgrading my phone to find out. I use a Pro-HD.

tcaradonna Novice

I'm very happy to see new versions of the Slingbox released, but I seriously question SlingMedia's judgement in releasing these product while failing to have a fully functional mobile product to complement it.  The marketing plan is seriously flawed, and communication is seriously lacking.  I'm a big fan of the product, I think it's the best product in the market, but they could be so much better with just a little planning and listening to customers.

Very disappointed.

ACC4709429 Newbie

I am trying to get word out to those seeking an answer and apparently my previous posts are to harsh on Slingmedia so they delete them: So here is a toned down version just so others like me know the problem does exist and its not their hardware:

As an app develepor for iOS - I do know what the issue is and a Slingmedia Rep (Dana) has also confirmed this is correct and they are working on an app update ASAP

The problem is the HLS Protocal was updated in iOS 6 by Apple and up to recently not noticed. So it will take a little bit of time to rewrite around the new protocal to allow full streaming over a cellular connection.

That's the problem and reassurance has been given there will be a fix soon by a Slingmedia Rep (Dana)

isuarez77

Wow, thanks! I was about to call and go irate on their ***'s lol.

Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 11:30:28 -0800

From: answers@slingmedia.com

Subject: Re: Re: IOS 6 - IOS 6 Re: IOS 6

Slingbox Answers Forum

IOS 6

reply from ACC4709429 in Sling Accounts - View the full discussion

I am trying to get word out to those seeking an answer and apparently my previous posts are to harsh on Slingmedia so they delete them: So here is a toned down version just so others like me know the problem does exist and its not their hardware: As an app develepor for iOS - I do know what the issue is and a Slingmedia Rep (Dana) has also confirmed this is correct and they are working on an app update ASAP The problem is the HLS Protocal was updated in iOS 6 by Apple and up to recently not noticed. So it will take a little bit of time to rewrite around the new protocal to allow full streaming over a cellular connection. That's the problem and reassurance has been given there will be a fix soon by a Slingmedia Rep (Dana)

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in Sling Accounts at Slingbox Answers Forum

gliese

After more than one year and seems that this issue is still pending of resolution. I upgrade my ipad 3 last week fromios 5.1.1 to 6 and now i cannot use HQ. For me this is a great problem because i libe in germany but i want to see the tv from my country (spain) so that i had connected the ipad to my tv using a hdmi cable. In SQ this doesn't work and now i only can see tv in the little ipad screen.

Very very disappointed with the slingbox support.