16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2010 2:45 PM by billtell Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Can't contect to slingbox remote

uga487

Hi,

I can't contect to slingbox remote. Says "The connection attempt failed. Make sure the Slingbox you are trying to  watch is on, set up for remote viewing, and not blocked by firewall/NAT  settings."

The thing is it was working 2 days ago no problem. Not sure what to do. Being that I am on vacation not near the slingbox. Any help would be great.

Thanks

• Re: Can't contect to slingbox remote
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi uga487,

Since you're traveling, there may not be much you can do unless there's someone at home who can fiddle with the Slingbox or you have a computer running there with remote desktop capability set up. 

Sometimes things just need to be power cycled and restarted, especially if something weird happened to the electricity at your house.  If it worked before and doesn't now, that's probably the case here.

Try going to support.slingbox.com and log in.  You should see something similar to this:

Support Info Block- Remote View Highlight.png

(Click to Enlarge)

If the system is detecting an error, you might see a status alert.  Hopefully that will give you an idea of what's going on back home.

Good luck, and safe travels,

- Az

uga487

Thank you for the reply.

I went to a friends house to try to contect on his computer and it worked. But I can't contect to mine still. Does that mean it is something at my location? Is the router stopping me?

Thanks again.

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

If you can connect and watch on your friend's computer but not yours-- both locations being away from the Slingbox and streaming over the internet-- then there is nothing wrong with the Slingbox or anything else back home.

Since you're traveling I'm assuming your computer is a laptop that gets internet over wifi...

If so, take your laptop and try connecting from a different spot.  Your friend's place, a coffee shop... anywhere but where you're staying.

- If you can not get in, the problem is likely on your computer- check any software firewalls/security software you're using.

- If you can get in, the problem is the network where you're staying.

Any other clues or details ? 

- Az

adbuckster Newbie

This appears to be an ongoing problem for me.  My slingbox is in Texas, and I live in Costa Rica.  My internet connection in Costa Rica is tenuous, at best (a very slow, weak, and cluttered 3g).  It is necessary for my son, back in Texas, to reset the slingbox at least two or three times per week.  We have no idea of whether this is due to my lousy connection, or something on his end, but it is very frustrating, and has made me wonder why I ever bought the **** thing in the first place.  (Have to add that we - in Costa Rica - are subject to many power outages, in addition to the lousy internet connection).  I wonder, though if there might be something else going on.  Does anyone have any ideas?

LDRobinson

I'm not a technical expert, so I can only offer my own experience for comparison. I live in Greece and my Slingbox is in New Jersey. We had a pretty good Slingbox connection at our old house, but then moved to an area where the phone lines were so old that they could not support broadband. We went with a wireless broadband 3G connection for a while, and I could not get a Slingbox signal at all. That was for the last 2 years. They've recently laid some fibre optic cables in our neighborhood and we're back on a wired broadband connection, and the Slingbox connection is fine again. The only problem I have is that it seems to get stuck on a given channel pretty easily - i.e. I pretty much have to have my relatives back home reset it for me every day (sometimes more than once a day), or I cannot change channels. When they first reset it every day, everything works fine. Then after a while I lose my ability to change channels. It's not the placement of the IR sensors, because we've  been through that ad nauseum, so go figure! Just something kooky in the signal I guess. Bottom line, probably a lot of what you're going through has to do with the quality of the internet connection and not so much the Slingbox itself. Good luck!

eferz Expert

I used to have shuttering problems with my slingbox, it turned out to be due to heat issues. I explain it more on this post (https://community.sling.com/message/7401#7401).

adbuckster Newbie

I think it must be my lousy internet connection.  I had already considered heat as an issue, before I ever set up my SlingCatcher, and made sure that it was not on top of anything else, and then, after feeling how hot it gets during normal use, I also placed some small wooden blocks at either end, to raise it for more air flow.  All I know is that we can watch TV for a day or two, and then, the picture will freeze, and attempts to reconnect result in the message that there was a problem connecting with the SlingBox.  The only fix we have any luck with is for me to contact my son, who has the SlingBox at his house, and ask him to reset it yet again.....like, every 2-3 days, we go through this.......it is getting old.....and, no hope for a better internet experience on my end, either.

• Re: Can't connect to slingbox remote
                              adbuckster Newbie

Can anyone address the possibility that my bad experience might be simply due to having only a 3g connection for my SlingCatcher?  Would that explain why the Slingbox has to be reset every couple of days?  Anyone?

LDRobinson

Hi, adbuckster -

I can't really offer anything from a technical perspective (sorry!), but you did say "anyone", so I thought I'd chime in with a little moral support so you don't feel lonely out there!

All I can offer is to say that I've had my Slingbox since about 2006, and I'm pretty sure that when I first started using it here in Greece (at that time I was not living here yet, but going back and forth between Greece and the US and spending a lot of time here), I didn't even have access to a 3G network. My Slingbox operated fine, but I did occasionally have the same problem that I still have today (now that 3G is available here) - I would lose my ability to connect to the remote, change channels, etc. I know it's a slightly different problem than the one you seem to have, but when you say that you "only" have a 3G network, it seems to me that it probably isn't the reason you're having problems, since the technology apparently works on networks that don't even have 3G capability. But again, I'm not a technical person - just trying to use deductive reasoning, which in these instances may be rather useless.

My only consolation in my particular case, since I agree with you that it gets kind of old always asking someone at home to reset the thing, is that I don't really watch too much TV anyway! I tend to leave the Slingbox set to the Cartoon Network for my kids, so even if the remote freezes up, at least it gets stuck on a channel they enjoy!

Best of luck working it out.

billtell

I have been having the same problem. Slingbox does not work the next day unless I unplug and plug the machine in EVERY DAY.

So I bought a time clock and set it to shut off the power at 5 AM then turn it back on at 5:05 AM,

Works like a charm every day.

Hope this helps.

What is it with Slingbox that they have all these issues???

Bill

Altadena, CA

billtell

I have been having the same problem. Slingbox does not work the next day unless I unplug and plug the machine in EVERY DAY.

So I bought a time clock and set it to shut off the power at 5 AM then turn it back on at 5:05 AM,

Works like a charm every day.

Hope this helps.

What is it with Slingbox that they have all these issues???

Bill

Altadena, CA