11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2010 3:46 AM by eferz Branched to a new discussion. RSS

How to configure your Slingbox on your home router

jlchillin23

Hello-

I'm having trouble configuring my Tuner Slingbox to my D-Link router.  I checked my Slingbox and I don't have any blinking lights; they're both solid.

Please help!  Thanks in advance!

• Re: How to configure your Slingbox on your home router
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi jlchillin23,

I checked my Slingbox and I don't have any blinking lights; they're both solid.

That's really good news.   It means that your Slingbox should be working normally with a good connection to your router.

Some extra information would help a lot:

- What computer operating system are you running ? (Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Win XP, etc.)

- Have you already tried running Setup ?  If so, can you watch your Slingbox at home ?

It sounds like you just need to run the Setup Assistant.  Start by going to setup.slingbox.com from a computer at home (on the same network as the Slingbox).  That's a good place to start and might fix it for you.  If not, post back with more details and we'll see what we can do.

Good luck !

- Az

jlchillin23

Hi ArizonaSackbut-

I tried connecting to my slingbox from my Windows XP latop and my MAC OS X laptop; neither worked.

I tried running the setup and when the wizard searches for a Slingbox on the network, it says that it can't find one.

I'm not that familiar with routers, but I was thinking the problem might be how I setup the configuration in my router admin screens.  I have a DI-624 router and what I did was add Slingbox to the Virtual Server and to the Applications.  Once I did that it automatically appeared in the Firewall settings as always allowed.

Do the router steps above sound correct to you? Do you know if there's away to ping the Slingbox on your network?

I'm stumped....

Thanks!

Hi jlchillin,

Sounds like you're on the right path.  Don't worry about the router, firewall and all the port forwarding stuff yet.  You need that for remote viewing, but your computers should be able to see and configure the Slingbox from inside the LAN without that stuff being set up yet.  Once that's working and you can run Setup Assistant, then we can deal with your router.

Have you done a hard reset on the Slingbox yet ?  That'll clear all settings and force the Slingbox to start fresh with the router and ask for a new IP address.  A solidly lit power and network light says it's found the router and has an IP, but your computers aren't seeing it.  This usually happens when the Slingbox has a static IP that's not valid on your network, or something goofy has happened with your Slingbox settings.  Hard reset fixes both.

Here's a support doc on that if you're not sure how to do it:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000038.html

Do you know if there's away to ping the Slingbox on your network?

If you know it's IP, sure.  The "-c" / "-n" flags say how many pings to send...

Mac:  Use Terminal and enter this command:

ping -c 10 ip.address.of.sling

If you're not sure where Terminal is, do this:

Picture 2.png

Win:  Use Command Prompt and enter this command:

ping -n 10 ip.address.of.sling

You can get to Command Prompt like this:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

I'll look up some stuff on your router.  In the meantime, try these suggestions and say how it goes. 

- Az

jlchillin23

Thanks! Reseting the Slingbox worked.  Now I'm trying to set it up for internet viewing and of course I'm stuck again.  I let the setup assistant try to automatically configure my router, but it wasn't able to.  Then I tried to manually setup, but the assistant is still not able to pick it up.  What i did was 1)assign a static IP address to my Slingbox 2) apply the configuration settings in the Virtual Server menu, but it still didn't work.  Any ideas?

Cool, looks like you're almost there.  If you can now sling in and watch over the LAN, you're ready for the last step.

As long as you successfully assigned a valid static IP to your Slingbox in the Setup Assistant- and you kept the default port 5001- here's how to configure the DI-624 router...

Sounds like you've gotten to know your way around the router's config screens, so I'll skip writing out the steps.  Make your rig look like this, then click Apply:

Picture 3.png

(Click to Enlarge)

That should do it.    Finish up and test remote viewing from outside your home network.  I've got a cold, foamy beverage here that says it'll work.

Good luck !

- Az

jlchillin23

I set the static IP then setup the virtual server using the static IP  and I also manually configured the slingbox to point to that IP in the slingbox internet viewing setup assistant; still no luck.  I checked and I can ping the static IP but for some reason the slingbox wizard doesn't pick it up.  I'm not sure what I'm missing here.  Any ideas?  Thanks again for all of your help.

Can you watch from inside the LAN ?

Can you watch from outside the LAN over the internet ?

...what happens when you try ?

I'm a little confused.   Earlier it sounded like the Setup Assistant ran okay.  If it did, everything for Local viewing should be set.  Once you opened up the port on your router (the Virtual Server thing), that should've done it for Remote viewing.

I see what you're saying, but I'm not sure how/where the process is breaking down anymore.  Can you give me anymore details ?

Darn, there goes my frosty beverage. haha !

- Az

jlchillin23

Can you watch from inside the LAN ?

[JL]  Yes

Can you watch from outside the LAN over the internet ?

[JL]  I haven't tried this.  I haven't had a chance to watch outside of my network to see if it works

...what happens when you try ?

The assistant complains on the "Setup Internet Vieweing" screen. Everytime I manually configure it and change the IP address to my static IP address, it complains it says "Internet Viewing setup was unsuccessful"; same message apeears even if i use the IP address that the assistant comes back with.  I also, tried letting the assistant automatically configure it and that didn't work either. Yeah I don't get it.  I know it shouldn't be this hard.

Gotcha.

Glad to hear that local viewing is all set.  (Whew !)

Try going to support.slingbox.com, log in, and see if your Slingbox shows up.  Regardless of what Setup is saying, if things worked right- and it seems like they have- you should see something like this:

Picture 1.png

(Click to Enlarge)

If your Slingbox is updating itself with your account, the support site will show details about it.  The area I highlighted in blue is what you're really interested in.  If the details show up and you get Set Up Complete: Yes, you're ready to go.

Here's another way to manually configure your firewall.  I checked, your router is definitely supported with this tool:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/network-assistant.html

Aside from these suggestions, I'd say kick back until you have a chance to test remote viewing.  If it fails, we can start at the top and double check everything.

Take it easy,

- Az

MissTap

I am having the same exact problem!! I can see the slingbox/tv on my computer (both pc laptop and mac laptop) in my home, but the slingbox website keeps saying that remote viewing will not work (just like the other poster above). In fact on that support screen under my account, it has a big red box that says "internet viewing status" warning (that it will not work).

I am no computer / router wizard whatsoever.... but, I managed to figure out how to sign onto my router for the first time in years while I was attempting to set all of this up. I followed the manual instructions exactly. I even tried enabling "remote" on my router. Still no luck. I'm wondering if there is some other setting that needs fixed on my router? I have a linksys wrt54g (a very common router).

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much in advance to anyone that can help!!!

Tiffany

eferz Expert

Once you have the local viewing setup for your Slingbox your done  with its configuration.  The only thing that's preventing you from  remote viewing is your router.  And opening up your network to the world  is a very bad idea, and not to mention isn't going to provide access to  your Slingbox.

Slingbox provides its support through port 5001 (by  default) and that's how you access it from your private network and  public network.  However, your router has certain services to provide  you with a safe networking enviroment.  Unfortunately, these services  are also preventing you from accessing your Slingbox remotely. One way  to allow your Slingbox outside of your network is port forwarding.   Without port forwarding any internet request for port 5001 will be  ignored.  This is because your router doesn't know which of your  networked clients will handle it.

When you configure  port forwarding on your router, you specify port 5001.  This is the port  which the Slingbox provides its services.  So, the next important part  of completing the port forwarding rule is the IP address of your Slingbox.  Once you've completed setting up the port  forwarding rule, all of the outside requests for port 5001 to be  directed to your Slingbox.

Here is a website that  helps people setting up port fowarding, http://portforward.com.  I looked  up your specific model and found the following page,

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/SlingBox.htm

Another alternative is Universal Plug and Play (uPnP)  its a set of protocols that allows to devices to communicate with one  another for configuration purposes.  I noticed your router is uPnP  compatible but its services is disabled by default.  That explains why  the Slingbox Assistant couldn't complete when it started running for  tests for internet viewing.  If you can find out how to enable uPnP on  your router then you can rerun the Setup Assistant to allow the  automated configuration to complete.