5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2012 12:01 PM by callanish RSS

Forcing SNATT on Boxee Box?

philh

Is there a way to force SNATT on Boxee Box? I tried to disable tcp box on router where slingbox pro-hd is connected, but now it says "relay" on Boxee Box.

On my Windows client it says SNATT and works very smooth.

TCP is no option for me as ping from EUROPE to US is high and so bitrate is fluctuating.

• Re: Forcing SNATT on Boxee Box?
          callanish Apprentice

Relay is Snatt. When the sling servers are getting slammed, they switch over to a relay server which I believe is using Amazon's servers, but it's no longer a TCP connection. 

As for your distance issue, and TCP latency issues affecting stream speeds, I can relate. If Removing TCP from the router and using SNATT doesn't increase speeds, then I don't know if there is an answer outside of using a proxy server through a paid service like trusted proxies, but I don't know if they are compatible with the boxee. Either that, or try changing the MTU settings on your router at the slingbox end to see if that helps with latency. Just wondering, what's your distance from your slingbox, what is your ISP upload speed on the slingbox end, and what speeds are you getting on your end?

philh

thx for your answer.

I don't think the sling servers get slammed. On my Windows PC I alwys get SNATT, so their servers seem to run fine.  On my Boxee I couldn't manage to get relay.

I utilized the behavior with wireshark. Using my PC an UDP connection is set up to slingbox IP.

On my boxee a TCP connection is set up to a third party server.

At the slingbox on the US East Coast I get 100/25 and here in Germany 100 / 6. Ping is about 150 ms, which makes TCP unstable.

With TCP connection on my boxee I get fantastic 2500-4000 kbps, but suddenly about every 2-3 minutes, speed fluctuates down to 1000 kbps or less and pictures freezes for some seconds.

On my windows pc with SNATT I never experienced this freezing behavior, so I'm still looking for the reason why I don't get SNATT on the Boxee Box.

callanish Apprentice

Sorry for the late reply. Trying to get some issues with my own slingbox, slingcatcher and google tv box solved which is kind of a similar issue to yours. Recently I've been getting some dismal speed numbers when connecting a slingcatcher to my slingbox ( actually using 2 slingcatchers - 1 backup connecting to two slingbox's in the U.K from west coast U.S ), 5mb upload connection to a 20 mb download connection. With TCP enabled and the 6000 mile latency issue that comes with that, I'm lucky if I'm hitting a 1.2 mb stream. Lately, in the last week or so, I've been lucky if I've been seeing 600kbps which is just awful and that's testing both slingcatcher hardware and both slingbox's, plus checking my connection speeds at both ends, but I need a TCP connection to connect to the slingcatcher, So as a test, I remotely connected to my router in the U.K, turned off port forwarding, turned off upnp, reconnected to my windows P.C and I'm streaming at 2mb's through SNATT. Went to my google tv box, connected to the slingbox, and my speeds are lower, and like your boxee, It's always coming up as a RELAY connection, but much better speeds than through the original TCP connection, although still slower than through SNATT.

Originally I thought 'RELAY' was a backup position for SNATT, now I'm not so sure. Went through the forum at placeshiftingenthusiasts.com to see if any info was available. Brandon, the moderator, based on what I think he's saying, seems to think that a re-run of the sling setup is required to see Snatt. Turning off port forwarding and upnp doesn't seem to be enough, so I think, as soon as I have the time, I'll use logmein to remotely connect to a computer at my home, and re-run the sling setup to see if I can force Snatt on to the google tv boxes.

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/general-sling-box-discussions/how-to-force-snatt-udp/

Don't know if any of that will make a difference, but as long as I continue to get horrible speeds through TCP, having a working 'connected device' might be my only option if I want a half way decent stream speed and video quality.

So, I'm kind of in the same boat as you with these connected devices ( boxee, google tv, wdtv live ) that stream relay, offer less speed than SNATT and aren't as stable nor as fast as a windows pc running Snatt.

Would also like to know if anyone that doesn't use the TCP streaming protocol has seen anything other than relay on their connected device?

philh

thank you for your answer.

Originally I thought 'RELAY' was a backup position for SNATT, now I'm  not so sure. Went through the forum at placeshiftingenthusiasts.com to  see if any info was available. Brandon, the moderator, based on what I  think he's saying, seems to think that a re-run of the sling setup is  required to see Snatt. Turning off port forwarding and upnp doesn't seem  to be enough, so I think, as soon as I have the time, I'll use logmein  to remotely connect to a computer at my home, and re-run the sling setup  to see if I can force Snatt on to the google tv boxes.

please keep me/us up to date, if you get SNATT running with your google box