2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2013 11:12 PM by stringer3 RSS

Going fibre optic vs broadband?

jamesmccourt Novice

Hey,

I am currently streaming on Orange broadband in the UK and it gives me 750 Kbps from the UK to the West coast of the US and is a pretty stable feed.

I was considering changing to Virgin Fibre Optic for a better upload speed and wondered if anyone had tried this and if the difference in my remote feed will be very noticable? I'm assuming it will as Virgin offers upload of up to 2 Mbps (on their medium package) which is more than double what I have now.

Any advice greatly received!

J.

• Re: Going fibre optic vs broadband?
          jamesmccourt Novice

I'll answer my own question!

With Virgin fibre 60MB plan, streaming from UK to US west coast my streaming speeds have increased from 750Kbps (on Orange broadband) to around 1700Kbps! The difference is pretty huge as I have been able to watch in a much higher resolution and its honestly now the same quality as my US cable TV.

Definitely worth changing up to fibre.

J.

• Re: Going fibre optic vs broadband?
              stringer3 Newbie

Agreed.  Since changing to fibre in uk, my viewing experience via slingcatcher in France has bee improved beyond all recognition

However, this time I am experiencing low streaming from about 3pm onwards to the point where I can no longer use the best resolution in slingcatcher.  Still great in the morning and early afternoon.  Can't understand it