4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2012 5:13 PM by chakkarinen RSS

Setup issue or slow internet issue?

Drew345

I switched to AT+T DSL the day before leaving the country, bad scheduling, but that’s life.

I set up my slingbox for internet viewing before I left using http://setup.slingbox.com/ and it configured the router and said everything was ready for internet viewing. I had done this before and was pretty confident that I did it correctly. In fact, it may not have even been necessary, since I changed the modem (from comcast to AT+T) but kept the same router.

I did a speed test on my AT+T DSL High Speed Internet before leaving and found that the upload speed was a dismal 250 KBps upload, compared with my old Comcast which was about 2.5 MBps.

I tried connecting to my slingbox on my way out of town at various places and now I am in South   Korea. Sometimes it connects for just a second, maybe just long enough for me to turn on the cable box (with the IR blaster) and see about 2 seconds of video, then it looses connection. In fact, 9/10 times it just says “Unable to Connect”.

I am not sure if I should start with trying to setup the slingbox again to reconfigure the router again (someone at home could maybe help), or if I should start with trying to upgrade my abysmal AT+T upload speeds.

If I made a mistake configuring the router (even though the slingbox setup clearly said I was ready for remote viewing), would I still be able to connect for a couple of seconds like I do? If the remote viewing is not properly set up , is the error “unable to connect” , or is it another error?

If really slow upload speeds is the problem, does that create the case where I can see for 2 seconds and then drop connection, followed by “unable to connect”?

What do you think? Slow internet problem or connection problem?

Thanks, Drew

• Re: Setup issue or slow internet issue?
          Drew345

I am the OP again.

I just connected for 30 seconds, but the slingbox speed would only go up to 40 KBps. Then dropped and "cannot connet". So it seems it is not a setup issue, but a really slow ATT interenet issue. They told me it was 3Mbps download and upload when I ordered it, I guess that wasn't right.

I used to get 2MBps slingbox connection here in Korea with Comcast, now 40 kbps with ATT. Darn, I made a bad move.

Any ideas for what to do about 40 kbps upload speed from ATT , thanks,

Drew

callanish Apprentice

Sorry for hitting you when you are down, but as long as you have that dismal ISP upload speed from AT&T, you won't be able to use your slingbox. That 40kbps is just pathetic. What's the advertised upload speed from AT&T before it gets to Korea and you end up with that 40kbps? There's no other way around it, you need to either drop AT@T and go back to Comcast or find out through AT@T if there is such a thing as a faster upload package, because you've got nothing to work with when you're receiving a stream speed that would struggle with audio alone, never mind audio and video.

Drew345

I checked my internet speeds again and got 300 KBps. I called AT+T and 300 kbps is the upper spec for my area.

I can kind of see some TV with my slingbox, as long is nobody is moving on the screen.

Oh well, guess I need to wait until AT+T gets uverse to my area, they have faster speeds.

Thanks