16 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2013 11:33 AM by marlbrook RSS

Connection lost when scanning for channels with internal tuner.

jpenzer

Every time I try to scan for channels using the internal tuner it's gets about halfway through the scan and then I get a message saying "The connection to your slingbox has been lost. Please make sure you slingbox is on and connected to the network. Click close and then relaunch the Setup Assistant".

The setup I have is:

Aerial > Slingbox - ANT in > Slingbox connected to Router via ethernet cable > Router connected to laptop via ethernet cable.

In the Setup Assistant I select ANT In, Antenna (Digital).

It starts scanning for channels and about halfway through I get the connection lost message. I've checked it a few time and everything is powered on and the network connection is fine.

• Re: Connection lost when scanning for channels with internal tuner.
          shaysfn Novice

Hey jpenzer,

Thanks for using our Answers Forum.  I understand that you keep losing your network connection while scanning for channels with your internal tuner on your Slingbox.

Slingbox disconnects while scanning TV channels should answer any questions that you may have regarding this issue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team

hexland

Is there any other fix for this?  I'm experiencing the same problem...  I get as far as 42% and lose connection.

I attempted to yank the antenna cable at 42% then re-insert it, but I get disconnections right up to about about 75%.

If I remove at 42% and reinsert at 75%, it will complete the scan but not find any channels.

I believe I'm receiving broadcasts from the Blackhill transmitter in central Scotland (if that's any help)

jpenzer

It took me a while to fix this. I don't really know what the techincal side is but aparantly it's to do with competing signals and the signals being to strong. It seems most of the channels are at 43% also.

If your's diconects at 75% also I'd pull it out at 42%. put it back in at 44%. Pull it out again at 75% and put it back in again at 77%.

It took me a few attemps of yanking out the aerial cable at 42% and shuving it in again at 43%.I couldn't get the BBC though.Adventually I mannaged to do it quick enough to get the BBC, now I'm frightened to touch it again :d

James

Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 14:38:38 -0700

To: jpenzer@hotmail.co.uk

Subject: Re: - Connection lost when scanning for channels with internal tuner.

Slingbox Answers Forum

Connection lost when scanning for channels with internal tuner.

reply from hexland in Audio/Video Troubleshooting - View the full discussion

Is there any other fix for this?  I'm experiencing the same problem...  I get as far as 42% and lose connection. I attempted to yank the antenna cable at 42% then re-insert it, but I get disconnections right up to about about 75%. If I remove at 42% and reinsert at 75%, it will complete the scan but not find any channels. I believe I'm receiving broadcasts from the Blackhill transmitter in central Scotland (if that's any help)

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in Audio/Video Troubleshooting at Slingbox Answers Forum

marlbrook Newbie

If this was not such a serious matter it would be laughable.

Pulling out the aerial twice during installation does not SOLVE this. At best it allows you to get a fraction of the available Freeview channels in the UK.

This is a hardware/software fault with the Slingbox, and Slingmedia should be doing something about it and keeping their present customers informed.

The Slingbox is no longer fit for purpose, and continuing to sell it in the UK when it cannot scan for and detect ALL normal Freeview channels is a breach of the Sale Of Goods Act, By not addressing and fixing the issue it is letting down ALL the existing UK customers too.

How the Company can mark this and similar questions as 'solved' is beyond a joke.

Read the posts in https://community.sling.com/message/74681

If the above link is removed it is question 74681 in this Forum. Look at the latest posts in particular In the thread the fault has actually

been fully diagnosed, but Slingmedia are doing a very good job of appearing to ignore the issue.

I for one am very annoyed that the Company are not acknowledging that this is a fault with the Slingbox, not telling us what if anything they are doing about it, and continuing to sell the device in the UK when it no longer does one of the key functions they advertise it as capable of.

You will see in one of my posts on the above thread I have said I will start posting all these details on all the appropriate Forums I can find, and even start a Facebook page about it if the Company refuses to take action AND keep us informed. In addition I urge any new purchasers not only to return their Slingboxes for a refund but also complain to Trading Standards. I intend to notify them if Slingmedia do not address the issue AND post something suitable on this Forum within the next two weeks.

If the Company does not come up with suitable answers then all of the Slingbox owners in the UK should really consider doing similar things.

Come on Slingmedia, we are not asking much. This used to be a brilliant product, but not in the UK any more.

ALL you have to do is admit the fault, and tell us what is being done about it.

allmytrials

I just thought I'd post this in case it helps anyone, I had the same problem, but getting stuck at 74%. My coaxial cable is one of the brown ones with the metallic connection at the end i.e. where the bit that screws over the connection is also metal ... on my final attempt, I put my hand on the metal connection as I was going to try the "pull it out then plug it back in" trick mentioned on this thread, as soon as I put my hand on it, the progress continued to 100% ... I now have all the channels.

I read somewhere about the problem being to do with too strong a signal? Perhaps the connection of my hand with the cable interfered with the signal, but whatever happens, after 10 attempts that all failed, 1 attempt whilst holding the connection got me past it. Maybe a coincidence, but worth a try!

marlbrook Newbie

Sorry to have to tell you that you cannot expect any reply, help, or even an acknowledgement from any one at the Company regarding this issue, especially on this Forum.

It is a problem that has been spreading with the SlingBox PRO and PRO-HD for almost 2 years. It is a firmware matter a but despite being fundemental to the advertised properties of the boxes, or perhaps because it is, SlingMedia will not discuss it here.

You will see that they reply to many threads on the Forum about other matters, and must have monitored the threads regarding the Freeview Tuner, but have steadfastly ignored it.

Look at:-

https://community.sling.com/message/93136

In particular look at my last comment, and if you ever hope for the matter to be resolved consider the action I have suggested there.

AND the earlier posts at
                    https://community.sling.com/message/74681

marlbrook Newbie

Someone from SLING has at last posted an acknowledgement.
                      https://community.sling.com/message/93569

and on a few other threads.

Pleased to get some acknowledgement from the Company, after two years.

I wonder if anyone believes it is a total coincidence that this momentous admission comes after the campaign has begun to bring this matter to much wider attention especially to potential new customers?

If, like me, you can see that there is a link, then PLEASE help me keep the pressure up. Having an acknowledgement after all this time is one thing, getting the Company to bother to get the HD and HD-PRO boxes fixed for existing customers is another matter.

https://community.sling.com/message/93136