8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2012 2:28 PM by stoners79 RSS

On screen remote control keeps changing?

stoners79

I have a Tivo, series 3 and Slingbox PRO-HD.  I access using the slingbox/watch function in my browser. 

Over the last week or two, my remote keeps changing.  I go into setup and change it back to the proper Tivo remote, but then it changes to a WRONG Tivo remote.  The wrong one has the "grayed" out buttons that others have mentioned and is not fully functional.  I change it back to the proper remote and it is find for a day or two, then all of the sudden, it is back to the wrong remote.  I've changed it back to the right remote 4 or 5 times so far.  Any ideas?  I have used the Slingbox for the last 3 years with no problems, but this keeps popping up over the last 2 weeks.

• Re: On screen remote control keeps changing?
          alanrichey42 Master

Windows or Mac ? (Please say Windows, it is much easier )

stoners79

Windows is much easier!  I'm Windows all the way!

Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 19:16:19 -0700

To: bstoner79@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - On screen remote control keeps changing?

Slingbox Answers Forum

On screen remote control keeps changing? reply from alanrichey42 in On screen remote control - View the full discussion

Windows or Mac ? (Please say Windows, it is much easier )

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in On screen remote control at Slingbox Answers Forum

alanrichey42 Master

OK, and easy solution would be to use a Custom Remote, but first we can try and solve the problem properly.  Have a look in the C:\ProgramData\Sling Media\Slingplayer\2.0\Remotes\ folder (You will need to select "View Hidden Files and Folders" to see the C:\ProgramData\ folder.

This is where the image files are stored.  As well as DEFAULT.SPR I guess you have 2 types of TIVO.SPR ?   Try deleting them and then rerunning the player.  It will take a few seconds, but it should download just the correct one ?

stoners79

Thanks for the info!  I have been using the Web based player.  I did download and install the stand-alone slingplayer.  I found the remote files.  I have the default remote and the TIVOS3 remote.  No extra remotes listed.  I wonder if someone else that tunes in to my Slingbox has the double file?  If that's the case, what should I do?  I suppose I could change my password so no one else could log in and use it.  Not a big deal to cut others off! 

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 05:14:21 -0700

Slingbox Answers Forum

On screen remote control keeps changing? reply from alanrichey42 in On screen remote control - View the full discussion

OK, and easy solution would be to use a Custom Remote, but first we can try and solve the problem properly.  Have a look in the C:\ProgramData\Sling Media\Slingplayer\2.0\Remotes\ folder (You will need to select "View Hidden Files and Folders" to see the C:\ProgramData\ folder.

This is where the image files are stored.  As well as DEFAULT.SPR I guess you have 2 types of TIVO.SPR ?   Try deleting them and then rerunning the player.  It will take a few seconds, but it should download just the correct one ?

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

alanrichey42 Master
                          Thanks for the info!  I have been using the Web based player.  I did download and install the stand-alone slingplayer.  I found the remote files.  I have the default remote and the TIVOS3 remote.  No extra remotes listed.  I wonder if someone else that tunes in to my Slingbox has the double file?  If that's the case, what should I do?  I suppose I could change my password so no one else could log in and use it.  Not a big deal to cut others off! 

No, it's nothing to do with that.   When you installed the device during the setup the Binary file is downloaded to the Slingbox and in your case, having selected The TIVO S3, it probably called it V1111 (The Tivo S1 is V0618 and the Tivo S2 is V1718).   And it installed the SPR Image file that is linked with that code, it TIVOS3.SPR I guess.

Now, that should never change, but you reported that it occasionally displays a different image ?   That can happen only if Sling change the Binary/image link (unlikely, ot every S3 owner in the world would be complaining) or your Slingbox is playing up and and corrupting the Binary code.  And then a second SPR file would be downloaded and displayed.

Now, the ocation I gave you is for the standalone Slingplayer.  The equivalnet location for the Web player is  C:\Users\..<User>..\AppData\Roaming\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer\Remote   Maybe you have duplicate SPR files there ?

stoners79

That's it!  The .spc files are here.  it has DEFAULT, Tivo and TivoS3.  Should I delete the Tivo one?  Should I delete the Tivo and TivoS3?  Should I delete all 3? 

I'm amazed at your knowledge!  I tried to find this stuff out just be reading the posts.  I'm really glad I actually made a post and really appreciate you're excellent responses!  So detailed!

Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 13:20:06 -0700

Slingbox Answers Forum

No, it's nothing to do with that.   When you installed the device during the setup the Binary file is downloaded to the Slingbox and in your case, having selected The TIVO S3, it probably called it V1111 (The Tivo S1 is V0618 and the Tivo S2 is V1718).   And it installed the SPR Image file that is linked with that code, it TIVOS3.SPR I guess.

Now, that should never change, but you reported that it occasionally displays a different image ?   That can happen only if Sling change the Binary/image link (unlikely, ot every S3 owner in the world would be complaining) or your Slingbox is playing up and and corrupting the Binary code.  And then a second SPR file would be downloaded and displayed.

Now, the ocation I gave you is for the standalone Slingplayer.  The equivalnet location for the Web player is  C:\Users\....\AppData\Roaming\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer\Remote   Maybe you have duplicate SPR files there ?

alanrichey42 Master
                                  That's it!  The .spc files are here.  it has DEFAULT, Tivo and TivoS3.  Should I delete the Tivo one?  Should I delete the Tivo and TivoS3?  Should I delete all 3? 

You can't so any harm by deleting them, they will be redownloaded when you start the player (takes a few seconds).  But I would try deleting just the Tivo one and see what happens.

I'm amazed at your knowledge!  I tried to find this stuff out just be reading the posts. 

Intellectual curiousity.  I used to be a hacker in my younger days so I guess it never goes away.  Basically I had 2 unsupported boxes so I leant how to build Custom Remotes.  Then I got annoyed with the mistakes in the default remote so I worked out how to build my own 'remote image' and install it.  The rest follows on naturally....

stoners79

Deleted!  Hopefully that works!  If it doesn't, I'll delete everything and let them re-download.  Custom remotes sound fantastic!  I use a SlingCatcher and wish the SlingCatcher had a better interface.  I have a Harmony One remote I use for the Slingcatcher, but it's limited to the SlingCatcher remote's original buttons.  They are LAME! 

Thanks again for everything!

Robert

Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 14:02:52 -0700

Slingbox Answers Forum

You can't so any harm by deleting them, they will be redownloaded when you start the player (takes a few seconds).  But I would try deleting just the Tivo one and see what happens.

I'm amazed at your knowledge!  I tried to find this stuff out just be reading the posts. 

Intellectual curiousity.  I used to be a hacker in my younger days so I guess it never goes away.  Basically I had 2 unsupported boxes so I leant how to build Custom Remotes.  Then I got annoyed with the mistakes in the default remote so I worked out how to build my own 'remote image' and install it.  The rest follows on naturally....