8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2012 11:35 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Reliability????

jcarrey

This is the worst product I have ever purchased and the support SUCKS!!!!! It worked for 2 months and then quit and haven't been able to get it to work for the past 10 months!! What a waste of time and money!!!

• Re: Reliability????
          beckifields Novice

Hello jcarrey,

Thanks for reaching out to us in the land of the forums. We do 100% apologize that you are having issues with your Slingbox.  You mentioned that you have not been able to get the Slingbox to work in the last 10 months.  What seems to be going on with the Slingbox?  Maybe it is something that we can help you via the Forums.

With Kind Regards,

The Slingbox Moderation Team

rnjw

I agree... with both things. The reliability of the Slingbox is extremely poor and the customer service is quite awful too (though the latter is starting to get better). I live in an expat community and have met many people with a Slingbox. It's a common trend that noone has consistent success with their Slingbox. I am quite thankful for the growing alternatives.... Hulu, Sports packages, etc.

stevesmith99 Newbie

Here here

alanrichey42 Master

On the other hand I have 2 of the original Slingbox Classics and they are both still going strong.   I don't think Sling's devices are better or worse than any other electrical device.  Some will fail early and the user will assume it is a poor product and complain on the forum.   I've no problem with that, but the other 99% of owners who don't experience a problem never seem to post on the forum "My Slingbox is very reliable".    So I just did

rnjw

Thanks for your positive outlook. 6,714 posts?? That is impressive. I commend you on your dedication to posting in the Sllingbox forums. I'm sure it means a lot to the company to have an "unassociated" advocate of their product. Afterall, someone who would spend that much time must really, really like the product.... Couple of questions for you...

1. Why do you have 2 of the original Sling Classics??? I mean, why would anyone have 2? Since you've never had a problem with them, wouldn't you have only bought 1? Or, wouldn't you have bought a different model the second time? Do you also have 2 cable bills?

2. Since you compare Slingbox to other electronic devices, let me ask you this.... Do you think Sling support is up to par with other electronic devices?Ever since I got my Sling I tried to get support and/or replacement for it and there was no help or advice... Seems to me if I am one of the "few" who's devices failed, they'd want to make it right.... Maybe I got the wrong phone number...

3. Is 99% accurate? If so, Slingbox should definitely step up their support. For example, if you only have 1% of customers who have a problem, why not offer "FREE" support and product replacement? Why not have a free technician review as opposed to one that costs $29?  Why not offer customers the possibility to send their broken devices back in to be checked out (with shipping costs only)? Generally, the companies with the highest "success" rates are the ones who are able to provide better customer service because they spend less time caring for the failure rates. Now that I know Slingbox has a 99% success rate, I'm even more upset in how myself and all the other Slingbox forum complainers and social media complainers have been treated... Maybe I'm reading into this the wrong way??

4. Random Question? With the ease in streaming television these days (Hulu, NFL network, CBS, NBC, etc.), how do you feel about the future of Slingbox? Should I upgrade to the new Slingbox or move on to the much cheaper, reliable and easier streaming solutions? Your thoughts?

Thanks again for your support and willingness to deliver happy thoughts to all of the forum complainers. It really is great to have a group of positive customers who just happen to post a lot.... I mean, 6714 posts is more than I've posted to FB and Twitter in 2 years... Wow! If it were up to me, I'd start paying you or give you some free product or something.

Best wishes, my friend. I look forward to your responses....

alanrichey42 Master
                            1. Why do you have 2 of the original Sling Classics??? I mean, why would anyone have 2? Since you've never had a problem with them, wouldn't you have only bought 1? Or, wouldn't you have bought a different model the second time? Do you also have 2 cable bills?

I live in the UK but have a holiday home in the USA.   Hence I needed 2 boxes.

2. Since you compare Slingbox to other electronic devices, let me ask you this.... Do you think Sling support is up to par with other electronic devices?Ever since I got my Sling I tried to get support and/or replacement for it and there was no help or advice... Seems to me if I am one of the "few" who's devices failed, they'd want to make it right.... Maybe I got the wrong phone number...

No, it's awful.  I was just commenting on the state of the hardware.  If I was commenting on the support it would be much more negative.  I find it incredible that they charge for support calls, they will never acknowledge problems with their servers until forced into it and it is extremely frustrating that the 'official' responses on this forum will only ever point to articles in the Knowledge Base and not give proper tailored answers.  And if the support was better I wouldn't have had to make 6,714 posts

3. Is 99% accurate? If so, Slingbox should definitely step up their support. For example, if you only have 1% of customers who have a problem, why not offer "FREE" support and product replacement? Why not have a free technician review as opposed to one that costs $29?  Why not offer customers the possibility to send their broken devices back in to be checked out (with shipping costs only)? Generally, the companies with the highest "success" rates are the ones who are able to provide better customer service because they spend less time caring for the failure rates. Now that I know Slingbox has a 99% success rate, I'm even more upset in how myself and all the other Slingbox forum complainers and social media complainers have been treated... Maybe I'm reading into this the wrong way??

No, I just plucked that number out of the ether.  But based on the number of complaints I see on this forum compared with the number of Slingboxes sold I guess it might be even higher.  Having said that I agree with everything you say about Company behaviour.

4. Random Question? With the ease in streaming television these days (Hulu, NFL network, CBS, NBC, etc.), how do you feel about the future of Slingbox? Should I upgrade to the new Slingbox or move on to the much cheaper, reliable and easier streaming solutions? Your thoughts?

I still see a future.  From the list you have given I guess you live in the USA   Now, NONE of those options allow people outside of the USA to view their content.  The only way I can watch American content is through my USA Slingbox.  Similarly, when I am in the USA systems such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Player... do not allow me to watch UK TV.   So again, I have to use my UK Slingbox to watch.   So, like all technical questions it comes down to your individual use-case.   If you are never going to want to watch your TV content outside of the USA, or you are never going to want to remotely control your DVR or watch pre-recorded programs then you can probably get away with Internet streaming.  Otherwise you probably need a Slingbox.

Cheers

Al