7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2012 11:31 AM by 255909031088153 RSS

No Remote Control on Sling Player

I cannot change channels on my Pro HD when using Sling Player. The "Remote" is blank on the "Slingbox" drop down window and the remote channel select buttons window does not pop up.  

When I view this same Pro HD Player using my Slingbox Account, then the remote control buttons do pop up and I can change channels.

I believe I have the latest version of Sling Player.

I'm looking for help with this matter.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: No Remote Control on Sling Player
          alanrichey42 Master

I think your terminology is a bit confusing here.   Are you talking about the standalone Slingplayer ?  Windows or Mac ?   What do you mean by ""Slingbox" drop down window and the remote channel select buttons window does not pop up."   I don't have a 'Slingbox' drop down menu on my Slingplayer  and I don't recognise the term 'remote channel select buttons window", do you just mean the virtual remote control ?.

And when you say 'view this same Pro HD Player using my Slingbox Account' do you mean using watch.slingbox.com in a browser?

When I log into my Slingbox account and activate my Pro HD, (see first Print Screen below), the remote control channel selector appears and it works perfectly.      Scroll Down

When I open my “Sling Player” software on my PC and log into my slingbox by going directly to its IP address (see Print Screen below) and NOT USING my Slingbox account on the Slingbox website, note below that the “Remote Control” in the dropdown tab is not highlighted and thus the remote control buttons do not show up.     

My question is: Can the remote control be accessed using the Slingplayer software and going directly to my slingbox’s IP address (like the Print Screen below)?

Is there a way to get the “Remote Control” highlighted so it will work?

Or is the remote control buttons only available by logging into my Slingbox account and accessing my Pro HD via my account (like the Print Screen above)?

Does that explain my question better?   Do you have an answer?   Thanks for your time in advance.

Doug

www.dapcom.com

alanrichey42 Master

OK, first thing to say is that version of Slingplayer (1.5 I think)  is INCREDIBLY old.   Are you using it for a good reason or have you just not upgraded ?   If you aren't using it for a good reason I would upgrade to V2.0.4 (http://support.slingbox.com/go/windows-download-desktop-us). 

Otherwise, as there is no video either on the Slingplayer screenshot are you sure you have the right Input selected ?

If you are using it for a good reason (i.e. not to reply on the Sling servers) then I will install it on my system and see if I get the same problem.

I downloaded the newest version of software & that solved the problem with the remote control.

The remote control now appears and works perfectly J

Now, I still cannot log into my Slingbox from the “Public” side of my static IP address without first logging into my account on www.slingbox.com.

I have port forwarded my router to my slingbox.

I think the problem that is keeping me from directly logging into my Slingbox without first logging into my account on www.slingbox.com is in the print screen (SEE BELOW):

Note how the “For remote connection, I prefer to use the following” is not highlighted.

I can’t find a way to highlight it.

I have clicked on the “Change” button & have gone through the steps several times now. I know my slingbox’s IP address & I know that I have my router properly port forwarded to my Slingbox.

This is how I had my older slingbox set up with the older software & it worked remotely without having to first log into my SlingBox account and access it through there.

Can you tell me how to get that highlighted or whatever else I need to do so I can log in directly to my Slingbox without first logging into my account at www.slingbox.com?

Or, have things changed so you can no longer log in directly and the only way to log in to my Slingbox is to log in through my account at www.slingbox.com?

Doug

www.dapcom.com

alanrichey42 Master

Or, have things changed so you can no longer log in directly and the only way to log in to my Slingbox is to log in through my account at www.slingbox.com?

That's it.  One of the reasons us old-timers didn't approve of 2.0.4.   We warned Sling that relying on their servers was a dangerous method, but they assured us that their servers would never go down.   Since then it has happened 3 times, once for a few days

What you could do is re-install 1.5 along side 2,0,4 and see if your remote problem has been fixed there as well.  Just rename the existing C:\Program Files\Sling Media\Slingplayer/ to something else  (\SlingPlayerNew/ ?) before you reinstall 1.5, otherwise it will overwrite it.

But then my remote control won’t work using 1.5…………………    Hanged if you do and hanged if you don’t I guess .

You did answer my questions & I guess I’ll just have to rely on Sling’s servers!

I like the direct connection due to my need to use slingboxes;

I maintain a number of LPTV transmitters & translators in my profession and have a need to keep an eye on them on a regular basis.

With DTV and my clientele adding sub-channels, this is the essential need to upgrade from the old simple slingbox that I was feeding from a VCR’s tuner to something with an integral DTV tuner and  for the remote control to work.

And because I have 3 Slingboxes and only use them for a minute or so at a time and need to quickly jump to each one, being able to directly connect to them without logging into my account saves a bit of time.

I would think that would use up an extreme amount of bandwidth in & out of their servers with everyone streaming from their Slingboxes through their servers, unless they have a way to have their servers switch a direct connection between your slingbox & PC? Any ideas on that?

Doug

www.dapcom.com

alanrichey42 Master
                                  But then my remote control won’t work using 1.5…………………    Hanged if you do and hanged if you don’t I guess .Doug

Have you actually proved that ?    There is not technical reason why it shouldn't work now you have got a working binary file in the Slingbox and the correct image file loaded on your PC.

I would think that would use up an extreme amount of bandwidth in & out of their servers with everyone streaming from their Slingboxes through their servers, unless they have a way to have their servers switch a direct connection between your slingbox & PC? Any ideas on that?

No, you misuderstand.  It is only during the connection process that the Sling servers are used, looking at your account and displaying the Slingboxes registered to the account, storing the Finder IDs themselves rather than you storing them locally.   Once you actually start streaming it is peer-to-peer, exactly as it was with V1.5.