6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2012 9:41 AM by aabs RSS

Pro HD over LAN

aabs

Got my Slingbox Pro HD working perfectly over WAN (slingbox.com watch) but due to strict data limits by ISP,

I require a solution where I can stream my Satellite reciever to Tv's in other rooms in the house within my local network. (LAN)

The full house is network so it would be an ethernet solution and not wifi streaming to DLNA enabled Tv's and Pc`s around the property.

I have had a look around slingbox.com but I cannot find any software downloads for which appear to enable this function for the UK.

Please help as the main purpose of the slingbox was to stream satellite channels to Tv's in other rooms in the house and not to Tv's in other cities.

Hope I have managed to explain my problem clearly in the hope that someone can help me set up my slingbox to its potential quickly.

• Re: Pro HD over LAN
          shaysfn Novice

Hey aabs,

Thanks for using our Answers Forum.  I understand that you are wanting to stream your Satellite receiver to other TV's in other rooms in your home, using the Slingbox, and your local area network.

In order to watch your Slingbox, you have to have an internet connection, both for streaming and watching.

If you have further questions and would like to speak to one of our awesome representatives, Contact Sling Media Support, tells you how to get in touch with us anywhere in the world.  Since you are in the UK, you can just call (020) 7294-0157.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team

aabs

Hi Shaysfn,

In response to your reply I need to confirm I have understood your response correctly.

So the slingbox HD cannot stream through a local area network and requires to be connected to the wider area area network in order to pass through your software instead of allowing users to download the software to avoid totally avoidable data usage with my ISP. If this is correct would you please kindly confirm so that I can exchange from a product from another vendor that would allow me to stream via my LAN and not force my data onto the WAN in order to achieve such a simple task.

If this is the case I believe slingbox have a potential problem as ISP become under pressure to restrict excessive data usage.

shaysfn Novice

Hey aabs,

Thanks again.  That is correct at this time, you must have the Internet in order to view your Slingbox on Watch.slingbox.com.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team 

aabs

Thanks Shaysfn,

Thanks again but not the answer I was hoping for as my ISP will only allow 10gb so I won't be getting much use out of my slingbox if I choose to stick with it.

On a second note the uk model has built in DVb-t tuner to view uk freebies channels. I haven't been able to work out how to access the the free view channels from the inbuilt tuner using watch.com. I also cannot find any documentation with details on how to use this function and yes the antenna is attached.

shaysfn Novice

Hey aabs,

Thanks again.  I am not familiar with the setup in the UK, I would recommend that you call UK support for any questions regarding that.

The number is (020) 7294 0157, their hours of operation are 9am - 8pm GMT.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team

aabs

Thanks,

I tried customer support but was directed through to reception as there is a technical problem with the phone lines there. The person on reception agreed that the customer support which I was receiving was unacceptable but could offer nothing more than an apology.

Managed to get the answer from other users on a general AV forum but still very poor service from slingbox.