1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 23, 2012 11:31 PM by juanathan RSS

Slingbox connects SOMETIMES on Win 8

juanathan

The slingbox player on google TV was so slow i went out and built a home entertainment PC with Windows 8 Release Preview, connected to the home router on LAN (using slingbox to watch DirecTV in another room).

It worked the first time I connected to slingbox. But now it only works connects 1 out of 10 times. The rest of the times it says "The connection attempt failed. Make sure the Slingbox you are trying to watch is on, set up for remote viewing, and not blocked by firewall/NAT settings."

I also notice on the times it does connect it takes a little longer than my other devices.

Slingbox works perfect on everything else: Laptop with LAN, tablet, desktop PC with Windows 8 Consumer Preview with WIFI, from my office, etc.

I know this does not meet your recommended specs, but at least tell me why it's having problems with Windows 8 Release Preview and not Consumer Preview. And don't tell me you haven't started testing on windows 8 yet, it's coming out in a couple months. Why is windows 8 release preview so different? Or did i not correctly isolate the problem? Is the problem coming from something else? Do i need to do port forwarding? At least convince me to uninstall this version of Win8 because i like it and i don't want to go backwards.