12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2012 9:24 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Slingbox Solo need a special tuner? What kind? What brand?

Gibby2u Newbie

With the advent of HD signal being provided by the cable companies, is a certain type of tuner needed

for the SOLO to receive all the channels, especially those that display like 33-2, 66-4, etc.? Currently, I'm

using a Toshiba DVD Recorder, but now I only receive some of the cable channels that I used to get,

but quite a few  have disappeared and some new stations have been added, which I don't get.I've hooked

the DVD Recorder up to two different HDTV's in the house, but it didn't make a differemce in the pro-

gramming. Or, do I need to get a Pro-HD from Slingbox. I hope not.

All help welcomed.

• Re: Slingbox Solo need a special tuner? What kind? What brand?
          alanrichey42 Master

This is absoluterly nothing to do with the Slingbox so don't start thinking you need a Pro-HD, it won't change a thing.   The Slingbox can only display the channels it receives from your TV source via the component/composite wires, so the problem lies in your TV source/ You need to update that so it sends all the channels.   And you can test that by using the output of whatever device you use, to drive a TV.  If the TV recieves all the channels, so will the Slingbox.   If the TV only receives a few channels. so will the Slingbox.

And although the Pro-HD does have a sepearte tuner, that is only for unecrypted, normally over-the-air channels.   Most cable companies now don't transmit them.  If you are plugging your TV directly in the wall then a Pro-HD will get the same channels as that TV.   If you have to use a seperate cable box then the Pro-HD tuner will probably not pick anything up.

So the bottom line is, ignore the Slingbox, that isn't your problem, you need to talk to your Cable Company.

Gibby2u Newbie

Hi Alan:

Thank you for your faithfulness in answering questions. Appreciated.

As you alluded to, the Toshiba DVD Recorder (DR-570) needed to be channel programmed. Now I can get DTV cable channels.

I can also get the TV cable channels, but I need to use the DTV/TV button on the handheld remote to alternate between the two. I

cannot get them all without alternating. However, I do not have a specific button on the new skin remote that you made available for SB,

which I installed, that will allow me to alternate.So, I'm stuck with one, either DTV or TV, until I establish a customized button which

will achieve the mission. Need code, I guess. This part I haven't tried before.

Gibby

alanrichey42 Master
                  However, I do not have a specific button on the new skin remote that you made available for SB,

Not sure what you mean here.  I have no record of making any remote available for this box.    Or are you under the impression I work for Sling and you are talking about the built-in remote ?   If so, nothing could be further from the truth, I have nothing to do with Sling,  I am simply a user like you.  I just happen to know how to build Custom Remotes.

So here is one for your box, and I have mapped the TV/DTV function to the 5th colour button (White).

Any good ?

Gibby2u Newbie

Good morning Alan:

The new skin I was referring to is at the bottom of the page at this link:

https://community.sling.com/message/20743?tstart=0

Question: When using above link, instructions say to create a new file after the "Remote" file, say called, "MyRemote", and then copy all the download files into MyRemote, should there be any subdirectories under MyRemote or should there ONLY be all extracted files? First time I tried it I got subdirectories then had to extract them while in the subdirectory. Hope this makes sense.

Most importantly, I just tried the new file you sent me, "Toshiba DR570.zip" (2.5 K) , and it works great. Solves my problem with the DTV/TV button. I'm greatly appreciative. Your quick responses are another plus.

Thanks again.

Gibby

alanrichey42 Master
                          The new skin I was referring to is at the bottom of the page at this link:

https://community.sling.com/message/20743?tstart=0

Ah, OK got it now.   I can never remember anything from last week let alone 18 months ago

Question: When using above link, instructions say to create a new file after the "Remote" file, say called, "MyRemote", and then copy all the download files into MyRemote, should there be any subdirectories under MyRemote or should there ONLY be all extracted files? First time I tried it I got subdirectories then had to extract them while in the subdirectory. Hope this makes sense.

It does make sense and there should not be any sub-directories.  But be careful of your terminology, there is a big difference between 'files' & 'folders/directories' so be careful not to confuse them.  The folder/directory C:\ProgramData\.......\Remote\MyRemote\  should just contain all the extracted files, .XML and .PNG files

Most importantly, I just tried the new file you sent me, "Toshiba DR570.zip" (2.5 K) , and it works great. Solves my problem with the DTV/TV button. I'm greatly appreciative. Your quick responses are another plus.

Good, glad I could help.  If you need any of the functions presently mapped to the Custom buttons mapped to the 4 colour buttons (presently unused) let me know.