8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2012 1:30 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Slingbox Solo receives less channels since IP went HD

Gibby2u Newbie

My Slingbox Solo is working fine, but I am now getting at least 50% less channels since my Internet Provider (cable co.) went to HD signal.

I have a Panasonic Viera Plasma HDTV (TH-42PX80U) with Toshiba DVD Recorder (DR570) with 1080p Upconversion. Using an S-Video cable to connect the DVD-R to Slingbox Solo. I access this setup remotely over the internet.

Like I said, it works fine, but I get less channels, since IP went HD. Is this expected because I have a Solo? Do I absolutely have to have the Slingbox Pro-HD to overcome this problem? All help appreciated. Thanks!

Gibby

• Re: Slingbox Solo receives less channels since IP went HD
          jesse.sling Novice

Hey Gibby2u,

I believe I may be able to help you. Being that you are using a box that is HD, you may want to try using component cables. S-Video is standard definition. Component cables are the red, blue, and green cables. If this doesn't resolve the issue, try taking a look at this article. Connecting my video sources to my Slingbox SOLO

Let me know if it works!

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

Gibby2u Newbie

Jesse:

I am using Component cables from the Toshiba DVD Recorder (component out) to the Slingbox Solo (component in).

I do not have anymore component jacks leftover on the DVD recorder. I only have a S_Video jack to use if I want (also composite

Should I run another set of component cables from the Slingbox Solo (component out) to the Pansonic Viera Plasma 42"

HDTV (component in)? I had been using a S-Video cable from the DVD-R (out) to the TV (in).

The only oter jacks are available are HDMI (from DVR-R (out) to TV (i).

Note: I do receive ALL stations from the cable tv company (Antietam Cable) when watching TV, I just don't get all of them on my Slingbox. This is true for both TV and DTV channels. For example, I don't get USA,FAM, or CNBC, just to name a few.

Hoping this helps.

Thanks.

Gibby

jesse.sling Novice

Hey again,

I would definitely recommend using another set of component cables going from the Slingbox "out" to the television's "in". Make sure you remove the other cables from the back of your DVR so there are no interferences between the Slingbox and itself. As Alan said, if you still receive the same issue after switching it, it could be a restriction set by your service provider. Let me know how it goes!

Thanks,

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

Gibby2u Newbie

Hi Jesse:

I added the component cables from the Slingbox out to TV in. No difference in receiving the missing channels.

I already had a component cable from the DVDR out to the Solo in.

As I stated, I get ALL the channels that I am supposed to get from my cable provider on my TV, so I can't fault

them. In sum, I can't identify the problem - the one where I receive some TV and DTV channels, but do not get others,

like CNBC, FAM, and USA.

Because I am out of ideas, I wondered whether an IR Blaster would have an effect. It seems to me that I would not receive any channels

if it were bad. Seems to work well.

Appreciate the ideas/solutions you have provided. I guess I'll have to live with what I have.

Thanks!

Gibby

alanrichey42 Master

Have yoiu disconnected the HDMI lead from the DVR to the TV ?  That is CRUCIAL.  

BTW, we keep telling you this is NOTHING to do with the Slingbox, the IR Blasters or anything else.   I am almost certain your TV provider has decided that the full lineup of channels will ONLY be available from the HDMI port and that a subset of channels will be output on the component channels.  You might be lucky in that if you remove the HDMI cable completely then they will transmit all the channels on the component output.

Gibby2u Newbie

Alan:

I do so much appreciate your replies./ideas/thoughts for this is the way that problems are solved.

My cable company, Antietam Cable, does not require that a cable/satillite box be used. For those

that have the modern HDTV's, one just hooks the incoming cable wire to the back of the TV set. No HDMI

cable is used. I'm not using one. Only component is used. For me, I ran the cable TV coaxial into the DVD Recorder, then

out to the TV.

Don't forget: I can view ALL the programs on the TV at home, It's only when I view Slingbox on a computer via internet that I get

less channels provided to me. Before Antietam went to HD broadcasting, I could get all the channels using Slingbox on my

computers.

To me, it seems like my setup is different than what you had in mind. What say you?

Gibby

alanrichey42 Master

OK, that does make a difference.   That shows that all the channels are available from the Coax cable.    So the problem lies in the DVD player.  F|or some reason, the Tuner in that player is only getting a subset of the channels.   Have you retuned it since the changeover ?   Most digital receivers require an occasional rescan to make sure they get all the channels.

Have you got any other device with a built-in tuner you could test ?

BTW, now you have told us that your feed your TV direct from the co-ax cable in the wall(I don' recall you mentioning that fact before), I can rescind my advice about not getting a Pro-HD.   That will help becasue the in-built tuner on the Pro-HD should act like your TV and pick up all the channels.

alanrichey42 Master

It's worth adding that moving to a Pro-HD is absolutely pointless, as it won't help.   And really, this is nothing to do with the Slingbox at all.   The Slingbox simply streams what it is receiving from your DVD Player.   I am guessing if you took the Slingbox out of the loop completely and plugged the DVD player into a TV you would still only get the reduced number of channels.

The problem lies with your provider and your TV Tuner and DVD Player, not with the Slingbox.   Although if your DVD Player does have a component output and you did the same test with the component cables and plugged them in the TV you might get all the channels.    Again absolutely nothing to do with the Slingbox.