43 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2011 7:26 PM by davynixon Branched to a new discussion. RSS

This slingbox was not originally designed to be used in the usa

selivonik Newbie

I see this message in the first step of the setup assistant. Because of this I can't set up my sling box to control my cable box. Is there anything I can do about this?

• Re: This slingbox was not originally designed to be used in the usa
          BrandonC Novice

This is one you definitely need to call Sling Support on. 877.GO.SLING (877.467.5464)

They are very good at sorting this particular problem out and even though you may get a lot of "suggestions" here since there are several things that could cause this. Sling Support will walk you through each step systematically and determine the problem faster than trying a bunch of different things.

Even if it costs you the support fee it will save you a lot of time!

barbr58@aol.com

I have the same issue. Unfortunaltely, my slingbox is no longer under warrenty and I don't want to pay for support for a product that worked fine until I installed the update. If anyone can walk me through the support steps, I would like to try them. I have already reset the slingbox and purchased a new IR blaster. Is there anything else that I can do on my own?

eferz Expert

I believe the symptoms ans possible troubleshooting are described in this post (https://community.sling.com/thread/3300).

barbr58@aol.com

My issue is more that I can not run the setup because I get the message, "this slingbox was not originaly designed to be used in the USA. I believe that if I can get past that I will be able to run the setup and regain the remote control. Most of what I have read suggests that the box is fried. That seems unusual since it is only 2 1/2 years old and worked fine until the last update. I would like to be able to try other troubleshooting.

dumkopf

I have tried all the options on this thread in this post...

Nobody seems to understand...

1.     This was a working device until the update.

2.     This slingbox was bought in the usa from slingbox directly from their store

3.     now it has the not for USA error.

4.     It has been suggested that an update intended for NON USA slingboxes somehow got on my slingbox.

5.     The box still works audio and video, but when you run setup assistant, it does not offer ANY remote options to chose from at all

6.     When you reach the setup for the DVR there are not remote choices at all and only "Other" is offered, no TIVO and NO remotes.

That appears to be because the box is now recognized somehow as one from out of the USA.

Is that a law that precludes slingbox from offering USA remots and DVR choices if one was out of the USA?

It would be a simple matter for slingmedia to fix this problem by just offer to install the USA update and eliminate the ERROR not for USA.

Please help me, as I have two of these Slingbox PROs that both died around Jan 2009 with this problem at about the same time.

Doesn't seem fair that slingmedia would allow this to happen to so many people and just dodge the issue when a simple fix could be devised to let the slingbox accept a new update to fix it and maybe just bypass the error check and bailout mess...

I did purchase a new slingbox PRO HD but am really ****** off about this whole thing as it seem insensitive by slingmedia to ignore and dodge this issue with so many excuses and misses instead of just offering an update fix for this issue.  I am an engineer and believe me, I understand this problem and how it could be fixed...

alanrichey42 Master
                          Nobody seems to understand...

I think I do.   Sling have never admitted anything but the fact that they have replaced units showing this message leads me to assume it is a known hardware issue and nothing that can be fixed with a software/firmware update,

BTW, it isn't just the USA, I tihnk you will find it won't accept ANY country.

dumkopf

Yes, I called 'em and they were very kind and methodical at testing out the box...

Charge my CC with $29.99 then proceeded to run through some tests.

Eventually agreed to send me a replacement...

Refunded my $29.99 on my card and put a $99 hold on the card...

When I receive the replacement, I put mine in the box and it gets a no cost paid return trip to SB

When they get the return, they will remove the $99 hold...

Seems like they are now taking care of this issue with a replacement...

Thanks...

TripleT

I am having the same problem with a slingbox pro (not HD). I suspect a failed update by slingmedia as mine went south about June 2010 also. I have tried reflashing the firmware which does complete successfully but still no remotes and no configured media devices. Video and audio still present but no control. If anyone has any luck with sling media owning up, I'd like to know. I won't buy a new box every two years if that's part of their marketing strategy, I'll go elsewhere.

barbr58@aol.com

If you would let me know where elsewhere is, I would gladly join you. I too believe that my box was fried either intentionally or unitentionally by the firmware update and I have no knowledge of them ever admitting or taking any responsibility for it. It there is another option for remote viewing, I would love to know about it. I ended up purchasing another slingbox for $150 from walmart.com.

fins1up

If it helps, apparently I'm experiencing the same exact situation.  It was also sometime around the first of summer when

the remote disappeared.  I had not been viewing from outside the house, so I didn't take the time then to check it out.

I just attempted to switch my router from Linksys to Apple Extreme and during that change I

re-set the slingbox pro to it's default settings.  When trying to configure to the new router, I noticed the "not designed... for

USA" stuff.  It's 3 years old and never had a problem before.  Seems un-likely the hardware would start failing on so

many systems at the same time.  Any ideas on a software release bug??

TripleT

To follow up on my previous post, I have received, installed and returned my "defective, out of warranty, slingbox pro" after having paid for the 29.95 support session. No choice on that. They know they have a problem. I have no evidence but if I were to guess, I'm betting they streamed an update that not only disabled the remotes, it also, somehow, prevented them from further updates or fixes. Just a guess. Best advise, play the game, pay the 29.95 and get a new box. Don't forget to return the old one or they'll charge your card for the replacement.

Good Luck !

gsharpe

I was interested to find this issue reported here since one of my two slingbox pros is suffering from the same problem (yes, after updating to the latest firmware).  It appears to be a very common problem affecting more than just the pro, but the pro-HD and the solo.  It also seems that Sling knows of the issue, but still requires owners to pay for a $30 support call.  I've never had a problem with the boxes until now, so never have contacted support before, but I was also surprised to find there is no free support after 90 days and no email contacts.  Was this always the case or did this occur after Echostar purchased Sling Media?  In any case, since this appears to be an issue directly attributable to a defective update from Sling Media, they should set up a special replacement program to address the problem.  Considering how much everyone paid for these boxes, I would think there would be more of an outrage against Sling Media for the way they have handled it thusfar.  Any thoughts?

lucky7

Same thing happened to me, same time, after several years of working fine.  I'm prepared to call and pay the $30 for support but only if I end up getting a new box.  Did any one succeed or fail in getting SlingMedia to send them a new box (for those who are past the warranty period)?  Thanks.

gsharpe

This is just an update to the problem.  In my case, I have a Slingbox Pro SB200-100 and, after the last update, I lost the remote function then began receiving the error message when trying to reconfigure.  I decided to check out what could be the cause and when I opened it up, I half-expected to see swollen or leaky electrolytic capacitors, but everything appeared to be in perfect condition.  After looking over the board, I powered it up and looked at the power supplies of which there are several.  I determined the problem to be with U21, a TS1117 3.3V voltage regulator.  It was only producing 1.7V.  I removed it, applied 6V to it and it only produced 2.5V with no load.  Temporarily, I patched in an external 3.3V supply and switched everything on at once.  It was drawing 370mA and the regulator was rated for up to 800mA (1A according to some datasheets).  I proceeded through configuration and everything worked perfectly.  Further checking showed that regulator supplied power for at least the tuner(Philips 8275ac1) and the microcontroller (samsung s3c80f9) that is responsible for the IR transmitter.  I had not used the tuner, but it should have been affected as well.  In any case, I found a cross from DigiKey and will replace it with that.  It did seem too coincidental that so many people received this message after performing the update, so perhaps something along the way caused a current surge that took out the regulator even though the regulator should provide current limiting shutdown.  Anyone care to confirm what I found with their system?

jeffhvt

Seems to be a change in Sling's handling of this problem. I went to 'chat', was given some steps to follow and a number to call if they didn't work. The reset procedure did not work. I called the number and was  told that it was a known problem with the 200-100. They shipped me a refurbished unit, with a prepaid UPS return label. They place a $99. hold on my credit card, that is supposed to be released on receipt of defective unit. So far, so good. The replacement unit is working correctly - old unit on the way back! If all goes well, this is done at no charge, even if out of warranty.

jb007nd

Originally purchased my slingbox pro March of 08 and never had a problem with it. All of a sudden this weekend, the my players started missing remotes. I reset the box, updated firmware, updated player software which didn't solve the problem.

I decided to call hoping they won't charge a $30 tech support fee. I explained what happened and the tech said they were going to issue me a new box! No support fee. No replacement fee. Not sure if it will be a refurb or a new Pro. I got an RMA number and they said they will try to fix it remotely first, but it sounded like a new box will be needed.

The tech said this is a known issue with a small batch of users. I asked if it has been resolved with my "new" replacement box, and he said it's not a problem with new boxes. Still not sure though if he meant it's fine for now and this issue will crop back up later. I guess I have another 2 years to find out.

dumkopf

Thanks for your Dec 2010 message...

I saw your message and decided to call...

My treatment and result was the same as yours.

Thanks again.

PS, I originally joined the forum seeking a solution to this issue...

At that time, there was not resolve...  only denial...

Now they are treating us well.

I do note with interests, other messages about a (TS1117 3.3V) U22 regulator problem....

But didn't get a chance to check that on mine because SB has agreed to replace it.

If it's a simple component failure, then I don't see why they would replace the box except for good customer relations..

Thanks again!

Ray

d_sonnichsen

Hi guys

I have had same problem with my slingbox for over a year, I also thought the problem came after a firmware upgrade.

I tried at that time to do a firmware downgrade, but with no luck...:-(

Then now i've thought I would give it a last shot, and saw the message from gsharpe about the voltage regulator.

I replaced it with TS1086 3,3V 1,5A and it worked!

It was suddenly aware of it was from USA!!! Nice

And the IR blaster was also working!

Thank you so much for your help gsharpe!!!!

gsharpe

I'm glad to hear others have had success getting this problem resolved whether by having Sling address the issue or, if out of warranty, replacing the regulator themselves.  Thank you, d_sonnichsen, for confirming the hardware solution with your slingbox.  As a follow-up, I replaced my bad regulator back in November with a 3.3V 1.0A LDO from Digikey, (the part # is AP1117D33LDICT-ND and it cost $ .63) and it has been working ever since.

dumkopf

Well, surprise, surprise, I have been working off and on with these 2 failed "PRO" slingboxes for the past year with no useful help from slingmedia...

Until now,

I see messages here about how slingmedia may replace the boxes.  I have two "PRO" boxes along with 3 "classic" types.

The "classics"  keep on working with never an issue.  I have avoided updates.

Now I bought a new HD PRO and am about to set it up for my new TIVO Premier and noticed these new messages here!

I could probably replace the T1117 3.3V Regulator chips, but checking eBay, there is no listing for that number...

I will pursue getting my two "PRO" units replaced. I would greatly appreciate that.

Not sure I need Six Slingboxes, but what the heck, I would like replacements.

Thanks Slingmedia for finally coming to our rescue and aid on this issue...

Ray Hallman

davynixon

I just got off the phone with Sling and my Slingbox Pro will be replaced and the $30 tech call will be refunded as well. I love this company. Good business practices = continued future business. .... now if they would only let me use either my Slingbox Pro or original Slingbox with the iPad app.