20 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2012 11:33 PM by rbl22 RSS

Remote control problem motorola VIP 1853

rbl22

Hello, could anyone help me with my problem?

I have tried to install my slingbox but i can not find a working remote control.

I have a Motorola VIP 1853 set top box from KPN.

I have called Motorola, provider and slingbox people but no one seems to have a sollution...

Help!!!

Thx in advance!

• Re: Remote control problem motorola VIP 1853
          alanrichey42 Master
          Hello, could anyone help me with my problem?

I have tried to install my slingbox but i can not find a working remote control.

I have a Motorola VIP 1853 set top box from KPN.

I have called Motorola, provider and slingbox people but no one seems to have a sollution...

At the moment there isn't an answer.  Do a Forum search on Motorola 1910, Motorola 1960, all of which use the same non-standard IR protocols.   I am working with the expert hackers over on the JP1 forum to see if we can decode it, but after 6 months we are no closer.

As you will see from the search a number of people have found using the Kreatel 1510 works for them.  Worth trying.

rbl22

Hello Alanrichy42,

Thx for your repy. I already tried the one from Kreatel but it doesnt work for me...

If there will be a sollution i would like to hear!

rbl22
                    "How do I request a new Remote Control?

If you cannot find your video source in the Slingbox Setup Assistant, let us know here. We will do our best to get the most requested video sources added to our remote control database.

Here's how it works:

• First, search in this community to see if someone else has already requested support for your device.
                    • If you find it, vote for it by clicking the vote arrows!
                    • If you can't find it, click the Create an Idea link (in the right column under Actions) and tell us about the device your would like to control with your Slingbox.
                    • Be sure to read the Announcement notice above titled "Read Me Before Posting Your Remote" for more details.

We will watch this list and update the idea if we add that remote to our database. If you voted for, or created the idea, you will be notified."

isnt this the world up side down? i think slingbox need to provide all types of remotes which are required...i read now that some people are waiting for months now and they still cant use this hardware, bought for al lot of money from Slingbox!
                    There is just one guy here doing all the "work" for slingox and thats alanrichey42, 6200+ posts and i see he cant fix everything...
                    Alan i hope you are on the payroll at sling...if not you are insane to "work" for such a company!
                    Dont get me wrong, im glad some one replied on my post
                        alanrichey42 Master
                        Alan i hope you are on the payroll at sling...if not you are insane to "work" for such a company!

Afraid not   I just found myself in the same position as so many other people, with an unsupported device, so I did some research and learned how to build my own.   I found it an interesting intellectual challenge to figure out how the whole system worked (without any assistance from Sling I should say) I then realised that by using a Harmony Universal Remote to 'mimic' other remotes I could actually build Custom Remotes for other people.  Unfortunately, with Sling apparently not too bothered about keeping their remote databases up-to-date it seems to have become nearly a full time job   But having retired some time ago and having plenty of time on my hands I find the whole procedure keeps my brain active so I will keep going as long as I can.

Unfortunately some things are beyond even me, but hopefully the experts over at the JP1 forum should have you a working remote soon.

We will watch this list and update the idea if we add that remote to our database. If you voted for, or created the idea, you will be notified."

I have to say I have never seen a single comment in that area from Sling and certainly no notifications of new remotes being created.   If anyone has had any success I would like to know.

rbl22

i still think its crazy that i have to put so much time in this problem, calling the helpdesk, sending emails en there is no one with a sollution.

The guy from support which i have called must get crazy by receiving all these phonecalls all day long!

i would receive some email adress where i could drop my complaint but it seems that i can not send a complaint by email....its all just ****!

Im starting to get ****** bigtime!

When do they take people serious and give them a correct answer? They should make a ist of devises which are good for slingbox and which are not good for slingbox, BEFORE people buy such a devise!

rbl22

Alan,

can you explain to me why its not possible to break this code? or what you have to do to get this done before you can make a working remote?

Is there anything i can do to help?

I hooked the slingbox up on my home tv but we cannot use it separately from eachother...:( i tried it all i think. Sling helpdesk said to hook up another devise to run from...and im nog willing to buy me an extra set...

alanrichey42 Master

I'm probably the last person to be an apologist for Sling support, but in this case they do have a genuine case, and the real culprit here is Motorola. 

When manufactures design their devices they will operate their IR Remote controls in different ways, using different protocols, although the basics are similar.  Using the designated protocol they will send an IR stream that contains a device number (so only the intended box reacts), sometimes a sub-device number as well, then the code for the actual button.

Now, as with everything else, manufactures cannot agree on a standard IR Protocol, although I would say that about 60% of them have agreed to use a protocol we call 'NEC1', which is very well behaved and easy to use and decode.  But other manufactures have decided to use their own, so we have a plethora of different protocols (RC5, RC6, GICable, Nokia32, JVC......) some simple, some with extra parameters and some quite complex ones.    Also, most manufacturers tend to pick one protocol and stay with it for all their boxes. just changing the device numbers.   All well and good, and our (and Slings) software tools can work with these protocols and build the remotes.

Then we come to Motorola    In their boxes that I have looked at they have used NEC1, GICable, Nokia32, XMP-1, TDC-38, GI4DTV and Zaptor 56 protocols.    And now in the VIP 1853 they seem to have decided to invent a brand new protocol that no-one has ever seen before and, of course, it will be proprietary so no details will have been made available.   Go figure !!

So all we can do is go back to basics and try and reverse-engineer what they have done and try and adapt the software tools to use this new protocol,  But that takes a lot of time and effort from, in our case, volunteers.   And I suspect Sling use similar software tools so they face the same problem.

So in this case, go picket the Motorola forums

Make sense ?

alanrichey42 Master
                                    When do they take people serious and give them a correct answer? They should make a ist of devises which are good for slingbox and which are not good for slingbox, BEFORE people buy such a devise!

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000164

Although I accept that they don't publicise it very well.