13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2013 12:30 PM by mosalini RSS

Slingcatcher Remote

tcaradonna Novice

Can anyone shed light on where the slingcatcher remote magically gets the assignments for remotes?  I'm connecting to a set top box with a remote supported by slingbox that functions fine thru SlingPlayer on the web (my model shows up as a standard choice in setup).  On the SlingCatcher, most of the basic features work, but I want to assign the color buttons to, well, the same color buttons on my original remote.  These functions don't seem to exist in the remote options that slingcatcher gives me (I'm talking about the OPT area).  Plus all the ones that do exist have weird names, like EJECT (but there is nothing to eject on my settop box!).  Is there any way of adding or changing these functions and names?  Everytime the remote does some weird action because of a poor label I have to log into SlingPlayer to make sure I safely can correct it.

Otherwise the box rocks.

Thanks guys!

• Re: Slingcatcher Remote
          jamesmccourt Novice

Hey,

I have a box that's supposedly not compatible with the Catcher so the same happened to me. It's really done by trial and error. I went into the guide on my set top box that the Slingbox is connected to. Then, when my set top box required green to move forward an hour (for example) on the guide I went through the various options to customise the colored buttons on the Catcher until I found the right one that moved the guide forward an hour. I went through all possible combinations until the correct colored buttons on the Catcher matched the commands on my set top box. Some double up. For example, now the red button on my Catcher remote can go back an hour on the guide but also acts as a delete button, as it would on the actual set top box.

You can assign the Catcher coloured buttons by pressing the OPT button on the Catcher remote. Then go to one of the unassigned commands like 'eject' for example and press and hold a colored button. Then, that colored button will become the 'eject' command. But, ignore the fact it says 'eject' as it may actually work for one of the missing commands for your set top box.

Does that make sense? if not get back to me with questions!

J.

alanrichey42 Master
            Can anyone shed light on where the slingcatcher remote magically gets the assignments for remotes?

You have to understand how the whole Sling remote system works.   Here's a 'quick' tutorial    (BTW, this is 99% guesswork, based on a couple of years working with virtual remotes, Sling have never confirmed (or denied) any of this)

Sling originally defined 80 commonly used functions, 60 of them are the normal functions (0-9, Channel +/-, Play/Pause...) that you might expect on any remote, and 20 of which they define as 'Custom' functions (Custom 10- Custom 29) that can be allocated to any function not included in their 60 fixed functions.

When you select a device through the setup routine then a Binary file is downloaded into the Slingbox that tells it what the IR signal is for each of the functions that the device supports.   Then they install a Remote Image onto the computer, which may be a realistic remote if their graphic division has designed it, or if not, a default 'basic' remote.   Now, when you tap a button on the virtual remote (or the Slingcatcher physical remote) it looks at which of the 80 functions has been assigned to that button (for example the Power function=1, the Channel +=4, the number '5' is 13....) and sends that number to the Slingbox.  The Slingbox then transmits the appropriate IR signal for that function to your device.

With me so far ? 

Now, for most functions, this is a no-brainer, the numerical buttons are mapped to the numerical functions, the Play/Pause/Rewind...  buttons are mapped to those functions, so as you have seen all the basic functions should also work on any device, including the Slingcatcher.   The problems start to arise when you start using functions on remotes that are not included in the fixed 60 (such as List, DVR, Tivo, Audio, Teletext....).  And, most importantly for you, the colour buttons.  When the 60 functions were originally formulated colour buttons were not that common so they were not included in the 60 'fixed' functions.   So, with early remotes that needed the colour buttons, the Sling designers had to use either 4 of the Custom functions, or some of the rarely-used functions (PIP, PIP Change, Live, TV....).   Unfortunately the designers apparently didn't talk to each other, so the colour buttons varied between devices, with no logical system employed.

Now we jump forward to the release of the Slingcatcher  and Slingplayer 2.0.4, and the decision was made to start adding the colour buttons as standard.  They decided to use Custom 22-26  (they added a spare white button as well) as the standard.   Unfortunately, of course, this was not backwards compatible, so all the remotes built before that date had the colour buttons allocated to various random functions depending on the state of mind of the designer.   That is why they had to make the colour buttons on the Slingcatcher Remote programmable, so people could adjust them to match the functions originally mapped to them.   ('jamesmcourt'  has explained how to reprogram them)

Now to your original question, can you reconfigure the other buttons?  Now, on the face of it the answer is no, as the Slingcatcher designer has hard-wired the remaining buttons to the existing 60 functions.  In your example the Eject button has been mapped to the Eject function, which was in the original 60 functions (Code 51 as it happens).   So, if the Binary file that was downloaded to the Slingbox when you specified your device did not have an IR signal associated with the  Eject function then nothing will be sent if you tap that button.

However, there is a solution   Most of my time on this forum is spent buildling  Binary files for people who have devices that are not supported by Sling.  And because of that I have total control over what IR signal is mapped to each of the 80 functions.   For example, I could allocate the Power function to the Page Up button, so then if you tapped the Page Up button it would turn your device on/off.   A pointless example, but hopefully shows what I mean.  So again, going back to your question, I could probably build you a Custom Remote that would actually map a usable IR Signal onto the Eject function so that when you tap on that button on your Slimgcatcher remote it will send that IR Signal to your device.

Finished    Sorry it's so long but its quite a complex subject.  By all means come back if any of that doesn't make sense.

Al            

tcaradonna Novice

You seem to know alot about the remote control setup.  What really puzzles me, is my remote is listed, its the one I use when I use internet viewing (even the graphic is appropriate, not the generic one).  I assume when the bin file loads thru setup, that will be the basis for what I get thru SlingCatcher or other Slingplayer(WD TV Live, iPad App, etd) after all, setup is is the only place to make such selections.  That's why I'd expect to find the functions with decent descriptions on these other players (afterall Sling Media put up the remote so their obviously aware of the assignments).

OK, I'm going to expadn the thread a little more, becuase I found something very interesting today.

I picked up a WD TV Live (the new Streaming Media Player) a couple days ago to compare quality with my SlingCatcher, and I came accross something a possible bug(...or is it?)  One of the cool features of the WD TV is that they put out an iphone app remote.  The remote that comes with the box doesn't have a keyboard (like boxee box), and there is a keyboard you can pull down on the iphone app.  So I was playing with the iphone remote trying to decrypt all the weird buttons on the screen, when I thought, what would happen if I typed in a command with the remote up.  Much to my astonishment, it ADDED a functional button to the menu!  I thought maybe it was there to begin with, so I did it again with another button and it added it too.  Since nothing is written about how to use this app, I have no way of telling if that's the intended.  I would love to be able to customize the screen a little better because the layout completely sucks, maybe with some help I think this bug/feature could be exploited.

tcaradonna Novice

Is there anyway I can see the assignment mappings of the bin file for my remote?  I have a Toshiba Regza D-TR1.

alanrichey42 Master

tcaradonna wrote:

Is there anyway I can see the assignment mappings of the bin file for my remote?  I have a Toshiba Regza D-TR1.

Not that I know of.  Anyway, they would just be binary codes so they wouldn't mean much.   Why would you want to ?

alanrichey42 Master
                        You seem to know alot about the remote control setup.  What really puzzles me, is my remote is listed, its the one I use when I use internet viewing (even the graphic is appropriate, not the generic one).  I assume when the bin file loads thru setup, that will be the basis for what I get thru SlingCatcher or other Slingplayer(WD TV Live, iPad App, etd) after all, setup is is the only place to make such selections.  That's why I'd expect to find the functions with decent descriptions on these other players (afterall Sling Media put up the remote so their obviously aware of the assignments).

The quick answer is yes, but Sling have never adopted the method of actually naming or adding to the descriptions.  To be fair, remember that in the case of most of these viewing systems they have to be designed to cover thousands of different devices, so adding a description for each and every non-standard button for every device would be a monumental, if not impossible, task.

I picked up a WD TV Live (the new Streaming Media Player) a couple days ago to compare quality with my SlingCatcher, and I came accross something a possible bug(...or is it?) 

Can't comment on any of that, never seen the player.  I'll leave that for others

mosalini

Sorry to jump in on this thread guys..

@Al:

Would love to get your help on my thread: https://community.sling.com/message/88622#88622

Any type of help would be greatly appreciated....

Again... sorry to step in on this thread, but my topic is also remote related.

Thank you,

Jason