8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2010 8:29 AM by pdjcrawford RSS

Untrusted certificate error when connecting

pdjcrawford

The last week or so I've been getting an untrusted certificate message when connecting using SlingPlayer Mobile (N95-3/1.02(6)). This was not happening in the past. Any ideas as to what is causing it and how it can be fixed? Do I have to locate a new cert and put it on my phone as a trusted cert?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Untrusted certificate error when connecting
          Apprentice

Hi, pdjcrawford.

Thank you for participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum!

That is unusual behavior! You could try uninstalling and reinstalling the SlingPlayer Mobile application to see if that resolves the issue. Make sure to follow this recommendation and let us know how does it work for you!

Kind Regards,
          The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team.

• Re: Untrusted certificate error when connecting
              pdjcrawford

Thanks for your response. After posting this question and not getting a speedy response I set out to figure out what was happening to try to resolve the issue on my own. Here's what I came up with;

The issue occurred when launching SlingPlayer Mobile when I presume that it was logging on to the Slingbox site and my account, but before I would actually select an option to start the service (ie. . The reported error pertained to a certificate (DigiCert High Assurance CA-3) as not being trusted. I looked in the certificate management section of my device (Tools -> Settings -> General -> Security -> Certif. management) and discovered that this particular certificate was not listed under either the Authority or Personal tabs. This led me to conclude that the error reported was due to this absence and a likely solution might be to add the missing certificate(s) to my device.

In searching the Internet I came across 2 certificates from DigiCert and downloaded them. They are;

DigiCert High Assurance CA-3 (https://www.digicert.com/CACerts/DigiCertHighAssuranceCA-3.crt)

DigiCert High Assurance EV Root CA (https://www.digicert.com/CACerts/DigiCertBridge.crt)

I do not know whether I needed both or not but it was minimal effort to get both. I initially transferred both to my device but the device did not recognize them as being certificates. Rather they were treated as if they were text files. After a bit more searching I learned that I had to convert the .cer (text) files to a binary format. Upon completing this with a Windows utility I again transferred the certificates to my device and they were recognized. I was given the option of installing the certificates on my device and allowed to choose 3 different Trust Settings for each. Not knowing which to choose, I selected both "Internet" and "Online certif. check" while not selecting "VPN". Once saved both new certificates appeared under the Authority tab of my certificate management section.

Finally I attempted to launch SlingPlayer Mobile on my device and the error message was no longer reported. I admit to being clueless as to the purpose and function of certificates and I don't know whether their use on the Slingbox site/logging-in process have recently changed. I have used this app without issue for the 2+ years I've had this device and the problem is very recent (inside the last month). I have not knowingly been deleting certificates from my device! But this is a summary of what I found and what I did in response to that. Hopefully someone more technical that I can make sense of what I've written and determine if there is a broader audience that might have a similar issue to what I did and if there is some correctable reason as to why.

Regards.