3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2012 6:35 PM by callanish RSS

iPad SlingPlayer does not remember Quality setting

cijcle

When starting the iPad2 SlingPlayer, it always starts up in Auto Quality which in my case always chooses the HQ setting.

Unfortunatley, HQ video is unwatchable due to constant buffering (every few seconds it stops for a second), I guess due to end-to-end bandwidth limitation in my situation (although on a PC SlingPlayer I get over 1000kbps, so maybe there is a bug in HQ that causes constant unnecessary buffering).

When I switch manually to SQ video, the video is at least watchable (at a low resolution of course).

What I really would like is that SlingPlayer remembers the SQ setting, just like it remembers the other settings (Aspect, Airplay on/off).

As it is now it takes a long time to start up and then change manually to SQ mode, and I have to do it every time.

It seems there are two bugs here: first bug is that Auto quality doesn't select SQ in my situation, and second bug is that quality setting is not remembered.

Will there be a new release that fixes these issues?

Thanks!

• Re: iPad SlingPlayer does not remember Quality setting
          callanish Apprentice

So, when you go into your slingplayer iPad settings, choose SQ for cellular connections, SQ for wifi connections, and press connect to watch your slingbox, it still starts in auto quality mode. It works fine on mine. are you auto connecting to your slingbox and not seeing the iPad settings options allowing you to choose SQ as the default setting?

Just for the record, my auto remote connection used to work fine as the player was supposed to find a compromise between HQ and SQ. Now I can only run it in SQ, where as before I could run both my iPad and iPhone slingplayer app in the auto setting. Like you said, there has to be a bug somewhere as I'm on the same network, with the same speed, and everything else works fine with the slingbox ( slingcatcher and p.c ), but the slingplayer can no longer provide a stable stream without being choppy if the settings are on auto or hq.

cijcle

Thanks for your reply! I had completely overlooked the settings! By default, my player connects and the streaming starts. I had not noticed that behind the Disconnect button a full Settings menu was hidden. Maybe Sling should rename the "Disconnect" button to "Options" or something :-)

So you feel too there must be a bug in Auto (or HQ) mode. Too bad that Sling Support in this forum is very non-technical and mainly copy/pastes canned answers based on perceived keywords. Let's hope though that a new version is being worked on behind the scenes and released soon.

callanish Apprentice

"So you feel too there must be a bug in Auto (or HQ) mode. Too bad that  Sling Support in this forum is very non-technical and mainly copy/pastes  canned answers based on perceived keywords. Let's hope though that a  new version is being worked on behind the scenes and released soon."

Yeah, I really do believe there's a bug in the iPad / iPhone apps. Sling's working on and introducing players for so many devices to work with their slingbox, that I think when they fix one bug, it's easy for them to introduce a bug into another platform. It's just strange that I was running the ipad / iphone fine on Auto for a long time and then all of a sudden SQ is now the best I can do. I guess we'll just have to wait and see and hope sling comes through with getting rid of these annoying bugs.

Regards

LTM