3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2012 2:44 PM by doitt2 RSS

Why will you not update the app to background w/video?

kbcox0327

I have used this app for a long time expecting an upgrade that would allow backgrounding with video enabled. I used to be able do this with a tweak buan ince iOS 5 with the iPhone 4S it has not worked. This function has been available for app developers since 4.0. Why have you not included this? I pay for my data so I can't imagine that slingplayer is trying to protect me from high data usage. The only possible explanation would be concerns for instability. I can tell you from experience that it works fine, even on the iPhone 4. Please put out an update for this. I have already tried setting the "applicationExitsOnSusspend" attribute in the .plist file to false but this doesn't work either??? If you don't plan on updating the app please send me directions to do this myself.

• Re: Why will you not update the app to background w/video?
          sir_kw

I totally 100% agree with this suggestion.  It has been very frustrating why Slingbox has not added this feature in its mobile Slingplayer.  I'm sure a lot of people especially myself would really really really love it if Slingplayer can be enabled to run in the background upon exiting the app. Often I'm watching slingplayer and get emails or text and have to exit to check. It would be an awesome feature if the slingplayer connection can be run in background so I can at least listen to my video when checking emails/text and quickly connect back. Please add this feature!!

kbcox0327

I've given up on SlingPlayer putting out an update that would give this $30 app the functionality that it had three years ago. I solved this problem myself. You need to be jailbroken & have a few packages installed but this is possible. All you really need is an older version of slingplayer. Luckily, I save older versions before updating to new apps. If you're interested I can show you how to accomplish this.

doitt2 Newbie

100% agree with this.  The only possible reason why one would not want this capability is because of data usage over cellular.  So implement this as an easily accessible option to play or not in the background, because when a WiFi is available, there is no reason not to give users background playback.