4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2012 10:59 PM by callanish RSS

If my slingcatcher breaks down?

stringer3 Newbie

Hi

I have always assumed that when this happens, I'll be able to buy a boxee box and download slingplayer for attttached devices, but am now told only possible if my slingbox solo is I'm USA.  Is that true, and if so, when will it be available in uk?

• Re: If my slingcatcher breaks down?
          stringer3 Newbie

Any thoughts anyone?

callanish Apprentice

If you are just looking for general thoughts on U.K sling app usage with connected devices, I'll give you my input, but stay with me because it may seem like what I'm talking about has nothing to do with Boxee.

Basically, I'm in the U.S and I purchased a U.S WDTV live box that has the sling app installed on it. I bought it because I was looking to also use it for to access Netflix U.K content using a geo DNS location service ( unotelly or unblock-us ). Because the WDLive TV box is geo location sensitive, it recognizes your location and provides you with the apps for that region, so since I also wanted the bbc iplayer that comes with the U.K version of the box I used a U.K VPN server on my router that tricked the WDLive box to think that I was in the U.K and after that I had the U.K apps on the U.S box including the sling app. So, with the U.K content and sling app on the wdtv live, I accessed my slingbox in the U.K from the U.S without any issues.

The point is that if you purchased a U.K version WDTV live box to use it to access your slingbox remotely, I don't see why you should have a problem since the WDTV Live box in the U.K has the sling app pre-installed on it and should work to allow you to connect to your solo no matter where your slingbox is located.

The Boxee box is also geo-location sensitive and it seems that the sling app doesn't show up in the U.K, so as far as connected devices go, you've got two options or sign up for a service like unotelly to use it with your boxee. The other two are GoogleTV and WDTV live. I've tried them both and this is where the warning comes in. The connected devices so far are unstable and buggy on both GoogleTV and WDTV live and on the boxee, therefore expecting a slingcatcher experience from either of them is a bit of a stretch as my slingcatcher's are rock solid in performance, whereas GoogleTV has a frame rate issue and the WDTV live box kept disconnecting. So, connected devices have a long way to go before they are as usable as the slingcatcher. Hopefully before you have problems with your slingcatcher, the bugs will be fixed out by then on GoogleTV, boxee and the WDTV live hardware.

Bottom line is that from what I'm reading, you will still be able to contact sling if your slingcatcher fails for a replacement, refurbished unit or not, so if you are looking for a back up for your slingcatcher, just in case, then try the WDTV live or WDTV live hub hardware and see if you get a better experience out of it than I did.

If you follow the path that I did with fooling the box into thinking I was in the U.K, you could probably do the reverse with the boxee box making it seem like you are in the U.S allowing the sling app to show up. Check out the unotelly service as it has a setting allowing you to switch the Boxee box ( and WDTV live box ) from U.K to U.S content and vice verse which should then allow you to see the sling app show up under the boxee apps.

stringer3 Newbie

Thanks, Callanish, for your comprehensive answer.  I've heard that the sling software for connected devices is unstable, whereas, as you say, the catcher is rock solid.  Shame they stopped developing it

That does seem like a possible solution, but what I cannot understand is why the software is not officially available in uk

callanish Apprentice

"That does seem like a possible solution, but what I cannot understand is why the software is not officially available in uk"

It's a very good question and one that I can't answer. It would be nice if someone from sling would kindly provide us with the answer because it's a head scratcher on why it wouldn't be included with Boxee hardware in the U.K.