10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2012 4:14 AM by ACC629043 RSS

New Router, SlingCatcher can't find slingbox

ACC629043

Hello fellow slingboxers!

I got a question that i am pretty stumped on. So my Slingbox HD Pro is located in USA and I am in Malaysia with a slingcatcher. The other day my buddy where the slingbox is located at had to replace his 2wire Gateway router with ATT Uverse. They supplied him the same brand new router as before (Motorolla 2wire Gateway), everything was hooked up correctly to the router. Now i cant find my slingbox via computer and slingcatcher. So we ran through the slingbox setup assistant and port forwarded "Slingbox 1" for the TCP port for 5001 port and "Slingbox 2" for the UDP port for 5001 port. They show open on the router. I even allowed the standard "slingbox" application to be open as well that was provided in the drop down menu. He now can access the slingbox from his computer no problem. Trying to logon from this side of the world, i still couldnt open up my slingbox. I messed around with the watching configuration online and now i can open it via the internet only. I still cant open it via my ipad or my slingcatcher. Is there anything i am missing why my slingcatcher and ipad cant pick up the slingbox?

Also when setting up the router, there are several differernt computers i can choose from. I have no idea which one to choose? i have attached a screen shot of my router firewall settings. 

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreiated.

Thanks

Jesse

• Re: New Router, SlingCatcher can't find slingbox
          jamesmccourt Novice

So you have 3 Slingboxes connected to the home router?

J.

callanish Apprentice

I don't think you can have two slingbox's with the same port number on the same router. I'd try changing one of them to port 5002. Also, why the mix and match with your TCP / UDP settings? Any particular reason why you don't want a TCP stream on both slingbox's. iPad and catcher need that TCP stream. If you say you can open it through Internet only, I'm assuming you are referring to doing that through a pc or Mac. What kind of stream type shows up when you are running it this way...Snatt, relay or do you actually get a TCP stream?

ACC629043

Only 1 slingbox in use. I followed the below link for the port forwarding. They mention to open the TCP & UDP. Should i just remove the two additional user defined slingboxes and only pick the "slingbox" out of the drop down menu for port forwarding?

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/2wire/2700HG-B/SlingBox.htm

thanks...

callanish Apprentice

"Only 1 slingbox in use. I followed the below link for the port forwarding"

That clears that up. Thought originally you had more than one box running on the same router.

"They mention to open the TCP & UDP. Should i just remove the two additional user defined slingboxes and only pick the "slingbox" out of the drop down menu for port forwarding?"

If the TCP port forwarding is setup correctly, the slingbox will use that for the primary stream, and fallback on UDP if it can't connect through TCP, so that port forwarding setup info is accurate, but the question remain's, have you verified you are actually getting a TCP stream. ( While watching a stream, press Ctrl on the keyboard and click the screen with the mouse or touchpad. The slingbox statistics will show up. Verify that the stream type is TCP. If it's Snatt or relay, then port forwarding isn't working correctly and you're streaming through UDP which will stop the iPad and slingcatcher from connecting.

In the time it's taken me to respond, I'm guessing you've probably attempted to get rid of the extra user defined info and picked the slingbox from the drop down menu and tried the connection again. If you haven't then it's worth doing, but the end goal is achieving a TCP stream one way or the other before you can address any other issues. Find that out and you can either pinpoint the problem on the port forwarding setup of your router or rule it out so you can troubleshoot the problem somewhere else.

thanks...

ACC629043

Ok, i have had my buddy remove the 2 user defined slingboxes that i added for the TCP & UDP ports, leaving only the default slingbox from the drop down menu for the fire wall settings. He did a hard reset on the router as well.

Just checked on the slingbox on the PC/Mac interface and i am getting "relay" on the stream type. Average bit rate is around 750 kbps.

What suggestions do you reccomend to change the stream type from relay to TCP?

thanks...

callanish Apprentice

Something must be blocking the port if you've setup everything correctly. It's a long shot, but you could try port forwarding to a different port. Here's an older article using an ipod touch as reference, but the principle is the same used for the iPad and slingcatcher.

https://community.sling.com/thread/1456

Bottom line is you might have to throw in the towel and let sling take a crack at it because it could be an easy fix (settings related) or you might have a fight on your hands(stubborn router), but if you and your friend have tried everything and you know everything is setup as it should be, but it just isn't working, then you'll more than likely need a fresh set of eyes on the problem and that's where sling might have to come in checking out your settings from a remote connection, because you'll only receive general help with the problem here on the forum.

Failing that, Hopefully someone that has the Motorola 2wire gateway and slingbox can chime in with further help.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about At@t's 2wire gateway's to help you further. Sorry!