12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2010 6:23 AM by BATCO Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Not getting all the channels!

jwilson03 Newbie

My problem is not quite the same, but I can't find it here. I have a friend who agreed to install my Slingbox, so I can access it when I travel, which is frequent.He has a cable tv box and a splitter, but says he doesn't know how to set it up so I can watch what I want and he can watch the channels he wants. We both seem to have to watch the same channels.

Help!

praglen

• Re: Not getting all the channels!
          Apprentice

Hi jwilson03, I want to offer you a few links that can help figure out this issue.

Some of my channels are missing in SlingPlayer. I can view them the regular way on my TV, so what's going on?

When I change channels on my Slingbox, they also change at home. Why?

Best regards,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderator Team

drive4821

I have the HD PRO, and because my digital cable box does not have a remote in slingbox that works yet, I ran a splitter directly off the coax cable and sent one feed into the cable box, and the other into the slingbox. My cable company ( COMCAST) assured me that I would get all the basic cable channels if I took it directly from the feed, but "mysteriously" I don't get Fox Sports NW, ESPN nor ESPN 2......a 3 channel set ( 30, 31, 32) When I called support for Comcast, they put me on hold while they asked around then came back and said, "We don't support that. We won't give you an answer."  My suspicion is that they are blocking those on their end........the WHOLE reason I bought a slingbox was to get my local college and pro sports stuff while I travel......and I get every other channel just fine EXCEPT the 3 I want.

Can SOMEBODY please tell me how I can get the channels I'm paying for, that Comcast wants to block for some reason?

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Drive4821,

When you asked the CableCo about your missing analog basic channels, they told you this ?!?

When I called support for Comcast, they put me on hold while they asked around then came back and said, "We don't support that. We won't give you an answer."

Ugh, that bites.   Let me take a swing at it...

Here's the deal- Slingbox is a TV.  In all ways that matter your Pro HD is a fairly modern TV without a screen, it borrows your computer for that.  If a regular TV can do it, so can Slingbox.  It really is that simple.

Further, the only way a CableCo can block the channels you want in your current configuration is if they drop them from the analog lineup and move them to encrypted digital channels.  If that's the case here, then a cable box would be required to watch the missing channels.  They can do that, there's no way around it, and it will affect all customers in your market on any TV using direct coax.

If you haven't already, I suggest you connect coax directly to a regular TV (no cable box, hook it up just like you have done with your Slingbox) and see if the missing channels appear.  If they do appear on their expected assignments (you mentioned ch 30-32), there is no block, you are indeed receiving the channels and your Pro HD should be able to grab them.  We may need to check the location/channel scan settings in your Slingbox setup, but you should be able to watch them.

For now, don't worry about your Slingbox since it's otherwise working.  The first thing is to verify if those missing channels are there to begin with.

Re: Digital box... what model do you have ?  If your digital cable box isn't on the Slingbox supported list by name, there may be an alternate from another CableCo somewhere in there.  If not, you might be able to find a custom remote file for your box.  It must be a fairly new model, most Comcast boxes are supported.

The ideal situation would be having both connection types available on your Slingbox.  Then you can choose between analog and digital cable at will from the SlingPlayer.  This is handy if you have other people watching the cable box at home when you want to sling in.

Try the TV test above, see how it goes.  Post back and we can take it from there. 

Good luck,

- Az

drive4821

Thanks so much!  Now I only have one MORE problem......(grrrrrrr) I ran the cable through a DC50X ( I believe it is made by Pace, but it has the Comcast name on it) and there is no remote or code that seems to work........... any ideas?

Thanks again for your help.

drive-

Hi Drive,

I ran the cable through a DC50X

Grrrrr is right.  A lot of people have been having problems with Comcast's DTA "basic digital" boxes.

If you still have real analog cable service coming down the coax, use it and skip the DC50X.  If that's not possible, the only way around it is to find a custom remote file for it and install it on your Slingbox.  Or order a regular cable box that's supported by Slingbox.

The process is not hard as long as the custom remote has already been made.

- Try searching the forum for DC50X, see if anyone else has figured it out.

- If not, look here and see if you find one.

- If you still can't find one, make a new thread and ask if anyone has a custom remote for the DC50X.  One fellow in particular, Alan Richey, has been helping loads of people with custom remotes on the forum.

- Check out http://betaremotes.slingbox.com/ and see if you can make your own using the online tool.  You'll need to try it from a Windows computer.

Good luck,

- Az

Hi Praglen,

The support docs RafaelB linked are useful, give them a read if you haven't already.

Regarding physical setup...

Assuming your friend's Cable service includes analog basic and/or unencrypted digital (Clear QAM), hook up should go like this:

Wall (Coax) ---> Splitter ---> Cable Box ---> TV

|

|

|---> Slingbox Tuner Input

In SlingPlayer, you would then watch the Tuner input.  This is not the only way to set things up, but doing it this way is a simple way to sling in without disturbing your friend.  Again, this requires that your friend's Cable service includes analog or QAM channels.  It won't work if the service is 100% encrypted digital.

Hope this helps,

- Az

tumblindice

My set up is just as listed is before....   I have it "T"'d before the cable (DX50-Comcast). If I do the TV only, then I only get some of the channels but not all of them... so now I have it connected up again and I don;t even see the sling... I get an 0x8007274d error and I've even reset the Slingbox. The sling is defined on my router to be open and using 9001.  I ping the address and it answers. So right now I am lost... before calbe changes it worked great and the set up was terrific... but nothing now...

eferz Expert

It sounds like you got caught up with Comcast transforming their cable service to be pure digital.

The Slingbox Pro-HD is the only one that has a hybrid analog/digutal  tuner.  It supports over the air ATSC and unencrypted Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (clear QAM) signals.  I would contact your television provider and see if they supply compatible signals on their new service. Since, this means the only way for you to maintain your current configuration is to get the Slingbox Pro-HD.

Your only other option is to hook into the new digital cable box with your current Slingbox.  However, as you know that will also affect the viewing experience of the cable box for the TV.

eferz Expert

Hmmm... I just looked up the error, "0x8007274d" and it appears to be  "The connection attempt failed. Make sure the Slingbox you are trying to watch is on, set up for remote viewing, and not blocked by firewall/NAT settings."  I think this might be something entirely different that what I indicated in the previous post.  Can you confirm, verify, or deny more information about your symptoms?

tumblindice

Thank you. I have the red slingbox so I think it is the pro-hd.. I do have an HD connection.  So I reset the slingbox and now when I try to connect ( on a computer I connected from before)  it says I don;t have the right set up string. So it is still in front of the cable box. There are no HD connections on the cable box (DX50) When resetting the slingbox network light goes solid then flashes 5 times. So for some reason it looks like doesn't get an address, but i ping it...

Nothing should be blocking it as far as FW.   I don't see why it is not set up for remote viewing... I have watched it remotely.

eferz Expert

tumblindice wrote:

Thank you. I have the red slingbox so I think it is the pro-hd.. I do have an HD connection. 

Here are the pictures of the Slingbox Pro and the Slingbox Pro-HD.  From your description, I think you have the Pro not the Pro-HD but wanted to give you a visual confirmation.

http://support.slingbox.com/docs/CP/3232/pro-hd-back.png

Slingbox Pro-HD

http://support.slingbox.com/docs/CP/3270/pro-back.jpg

Slingbox Pro

tumblindice wrote:

So I reset the slingbox and now when I try to connect ( on a computer I connected from before)  it says I don;t have the right set up string. So it is still in front of the cable box. There are no HD connections on the cable box (DX50) When resetting the slingbox network light goes solid then flashes 5 times. So for some reason it looks like doesn't get an address, but i ping it...

Nothing should be blocking it as far as FW.   I don't see why it is not set up for remote viewing... I have watched it remotely.

Okay, it sounds like you're getting completely different results than the original post of this thread.  The original person can watch some channels but is missing others.  Your symptoms would elude to the idea that your Slingbox Pro can't get an IP address.  In order for it to be able to participate on the network it will need to be able to have a valid IP address.

Performing the factory reset (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005036.html) wiped out the Slingbox's configuration.  It will need to be reconfigured using the Setup Assistant in order for it to work. However, you cannot configure the Slingbox if it doesn't have a valid IP address.  After the reset, the network lights should blink indicating an attempt to get a DHCP address.  If it gets a valid IP address then the network light will remain solid. At that point, you can reconfigure the Slingbox using the Slingplayer's Setup Assistant.

BATCO

the slingbox pro hd contains a splitter too.

Its coax in-out are pass through AFAIK.