1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 25, 2013 10:28 AM by Lynsey RSS

using your slingbox as a second reciever in your home

udornbound

hello all

heres the problem

just moved house saterlite reciever downstairs with slingbox and intermnet connection

have a tv upstairs no antenna or satelite box etc

so if i connect a my laptop to the tv and connect to the slingbox via my wireless router to watch satelite tv

so the question is would it

a) send the signal out to my internet provider and bounce it back through my router to my upstairs laptop (burning data alowance)

b) relaise the laptop is on the same router and not send the signal over the internet (save me the cost of installing a new antenna or buying another saterlite box)

any techie people help me through this issue

• Re: using your slingbox as a second reciever in your home
          Lynsey Newbie

Hi udornbound,

Sorry for the late response. Sp what I am getting from your post is that you want to know if it is possible to stream from within your home network without using your Internet allowance and stream on your LAN. If this is correct, I am pleased to inform you that yes, this is possible!  If you have the desktop SlingPlayer for your Windows or MAC PC and you view your Slingbox using that SlingPlayer, you will be able to stream on your LAN. If you're viewing through our web site then you can view in the 'POP UP" window and this also allows you to view over you LAN. You can completely disconnect your PC from the Internet when viewing in the pop up window and you will still be able to stream your Slingbox. Below is a link to an article that has some useful information about streaming over your LAN as well.

I hope this helps and please feel free to respond with any further questions that you may have.

Thank you ,

Sling Media Moderation Team