25 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2012 2:56 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

THR22 -- DirecTV-TiVo -- still no on-screen remote.

edwardpjackman

Yes, I know to use the HR22 in meantime, awkward as it is. The THR22 has been out for many months. The chat tech told me:

"I see, I'm sorry to hear that! What we recommend if you can't find your specific remote for whatever reason (i.e. not in the system or in your case, it's really really new) is to post on our forums. we have a user on there that makes custom remote files for people. so, what I would do is just post a thread saying what model cable box you have and Alan Richey will make you a custom remote. :)"

And now I've done that.

• Re: THR22 -- DirecTV-TiVo -- still no on-screen remote.
          alanrichey42 Master

First time Sling have acknowledged my existence .  Now maybe I should get them to hire me or pay me a retainer

In this case, however, you appear to have solved the problem yourself by using the HR22.   What more do you need ?

barbaraharwood Newbie

Hi edwardpjackman,

Thank you for contacting Slingbox Forum.  I am glad that I caught this Forum!

Just earlier today, I assisted another customer with this same Thr22 remote for the Direct TiVo.  We chose Direct Universal remote and  we were able to control TiVo with the  menu button.  My customer was very happy and tried all the  functions!  Give it a go!

Hope this works for you too!

Have a great day!

Sling Moderation Team

edwardpjackman

This is not a solution -- this is a work around. This is the remote I've

ALREADY been using since the day I purchased the Slingbox. There are

several functions that the TiVo Peanut remote has that this work-around

remote does not.

For example -- say I'm in the "Now playing list" and I wish to delete a

dozen shows. With the TiVo Peanut remote, I simply press "Clear" a once for

each recording. With this "universal" remote: Press "select", wait,

press "down arrow" twice, wait, press "select." 4 clicks rather than one.

Deleting a dozen shows should take 5 seconds. Instead, it takes a tedious 2

to 3 minutes.

Two other features completely missing with the "Universal" remote

that are on my TiVo Peanut:

Slow motion

Thumbs up/down.

alanrichey42 Master

Welcome back    I was still waiting for you to tell me what you needed so I could build you a Custom Remote.  Based on your reply I can very quickly build you one that has all the functionality you need but it will use the default "basic" remote.   Buidling one with a realistic remote might take a bit longer.

Do you happen to know if the Remote you want looks like the Series 2, Series 3 or Premiere TIVO.   Where is the "Slow Motion" button, I can't see one on my TIVO remote.   (Actually if you can take a picture and post it would be useful.

edwardpjackman

There's a "slow" button just below the pause button.

The "clear" button is just below the "7" on the keypad; it's the button

that lets you delete a show with a single key-press.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, this might take a few goes to get right.  First attempt is attached.  Biggest problem I have so far is that there is no code for the TIVO button so at the moment that is blank.   And I think I may have got the thumbs the wrong way round ?  And I don't have a code for Zoom.

Which was the remote you used that gave a working TIVO button ?

edwardpjackman

I'm confused. I don't use a "standalone slingplayer" -- I simply use "

slingbox.com" within a brower. The readme.txt file included with the

binaries says: "To install this remote you need the standalone Slingplayer

(available from http://support.slingbox.com/go/windows-download-desktop-us.

That webpage says that the downloadable standalone player is obsolete and

unsupported. Is that what I have to use to get a remote that works

correctly? Or can I use these attached binaries while acessing my slingbox

from slingbox.com?

This may be moot now, but you asked: Which was the remote you used that

gave a working TIVO button ?

Clicking OPTIONS tells me: Model -- DirecTV Universal Remot

There is no TiVo button; I think it's duty is performed by the MENU button.

alanrichey42 Master
                                    I'm confused. I don't use a "standalone slingplayer" -- I simply use "

slingbox.com" within a brower. The readme.txt file included with the

binaries says: "To install this remote you need the standalone Slingplayer

(available from http://support.slingbox.com/go/windows-download-desktop-us.

That webpage says that the downloadable standalone player is obsolete and

unsupported. Is that what I have to use to get a remote that works

correctly? Or can I use these attached binaries while acessing my slingbox

from slingbox.com?

But you can't install a Custom Remote like this without using the standalone player.   Hence the instructions.   It's only for the installation, after that you can go back to the browser (unless, like me, you find the standalone player much superior )  and uninstall the standalone player.

Clicking OPTIONS tells me: Model -- DirecTV Universal Remot Re: THR22 -- DirecTV-TiVo -- still no on-screen remote.

There is no TiVo button; I think it's duty is performed by the MENU button.

But there is a TIVO button on the Remote image you sent ?  Now I am confused

edwardpjackman

Ok. I'll try installing the standalone player and get back to you.

I'm confused about what we're confused about.

You asked "Which was the remote you used that gave a working TIVO button

?".

To which I replied:

"Clicking OPTIONS tells me: Model -- DirecTV Universal Remot

There is no TiVo button; I think it's duty is performed by the MENU button."

I do not think I've ever had an onscreen remote with a working TiVo button.

I tried several of the onscreen TiVo remotes when I first got the Slingbox.

None of them worked. The DirecTV Universal remote works for most purposes.

It looks nothing like a TiVo peanut and has no TiVo button, but pressing

MENU seems to behave as a TiVo button would.

The photograph I sent was of my actual TiVo remote -- I thought that's what

you were asking for.

Attached are screen captures of the default DirecTV remote that I'm using.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I'm with it now.  I was asking about the 'virtual' remote and you answered about the 'real' remote   I had assumed a DirecTV TIVO would have a TIVO virtual remote.  Right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

I'll hang on until you list the problems with the one I produced and add in the TIVO button on the next iteration.

edwardpjackman

Button             Results on Slingbox.com                     Results in

Slingplayer app

Live TV            Works                                       Works

Info               Works                                       Works

Guide              Works                                       Works

Channel            Works                                       Works

Mute               Works                                       Works

Record             Works                                       Works

Select             Works                                       Works

Key-pad            Works                                       Works

Number-pad         Works                                       Works

Pause              Works                                       Works

Play               Works                                       Works

Slow               Works                                       Works

FF                 Works                                       Works

RW                 Works                                       Works

Volume             Works

Non-responsive

Skip-Backward      Thumbs-up                                   Thumbs-up

Skip Forward       Thumbs-down                                 Thumbs-down

TiVo               Skip-forward (30 second skip)               Skip-forward

(30 second skip)

TV Power           Clear                                       Clear

Clear              Skip-Backward                               Skip-Backward

Input              Non-responsive

Non-responsive

Zoom               Non-responsive

Non-responsive

Thumbs-up          Non-responsive

Non-responsive

Thumbs-down        Non-responsive

Non-responsive

A, B, C and D -- I've never used them and I don't know what they're for, so

I don't know if they're working.

There's no "TiVo" control that I can find. Without that capability, this

remote cannot be used.

Also, on my physical remote, there is a button just below the SLOW button

with a square on it. It stops playing a recording. This button is missing

from the image. It's a fairly non-essential and redundant button.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, better than I expected

Volume             Works    Non-responsive

Ignore that.  The Volume buttons are 'hijacked' by Slingplayer and used to control that volume.  They are never sent to the device.  That is why there are no volume buttons on the 'generic' remote.

Right, we have a slight problem here as on the remote I see the Tivo button at the top is actually disabled, but you appear to have one enabled and sending the Clear command.   Don't understand that.

So we are going to have to do a bit of hacking    You need to go to the C:\ProgramData\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\2.0\ folder (you will need to enable "View Hidden Folders and Files" to see the C:\ProgramData\ folder  (Windows I hope ?)

Open the SNCore.ini file with a text editor and add a line after the first one so it reads:

[Main]
                                                    DebugRemote=1

Now restart the standalone player.   Hover the mouse over the TIVO button and see what the popup shows:  Mine shows TIVO [id.remote.tivo=068] [M] and that code 068 is disabled in my BIN file.   What does yours show ?   And what do the ThumbsUp (064) on mine) & Thumbs Down (063) show ?  And the Skip Forward (066) & Backwards (065).

edwardpjackman

TiVo button:  TiVo (M)

Thumbs up:    Thumbs Up (PageUp)

Thumbs down:  Thumbs Down (PageDown)

Skip back:    Skip Backward (Ctrl+B)

Skip forward: Skip Forward (Ctrl+F)

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I just found the stupid mistake I had made so the mapping was incorrect.   Here is the second draft.   So replace the previous BIN files and rerun the setup.

Better ?

edwardpjackman

Success! I now have a working TiVo remote on Slingbox! I now have 100%

control of my TiVo when out of town. And just as important, everyone else

can use it without me having to explain which buttons do what on the

not-actually-universal-remote.

Thanks so much!

Details:

Button             Results on Slingbox.com                     Results in

Slingplayer app

TiVo               Works!

Works!

Skip-Backward      Works!                                      Works!

Skip Forward       Works!                                      Works!

Clear              Works!                                      Works!

Thumbs-up          Thumbs-down (?!)                            Thumbs-down

(?!)

Thumbs-down        Thumbs-up   (?!)                            Thumbs-up

(?!)

Live TV            Works                                       Works

Info               Works                                       Works

Guide              Works                                       Works

Channel            Works                                       Works

Mute               Works                                       Works

Record             Works                                       Works

Select             Works                                       Works

Key-pad            Works                                       Works

Number-pad         Works                                       Works

Pause              Works                                       Works

Play               Works                                       Works

Slow               Works                                       Works

FF                 Works                                       Works

RW                 Works                                       Works

Volume             Works                                       No response

TV Power           Greyed out                                  Greyed out

Input              Greyed out                                  Greyed out

Zoom               Greyed out                                  Greyed out

==================================================================================

Thumbs up and down -- Strange. Their behavior is reversed, but the debug

pops are NOT reversed. Weird. And completely unimportant.

Key               Debug Popup

TiVo              TiVo (M)

Thumbs Down       Thumbs Down (PageDown)

Thumbs Up         Thumbs Up   (PageUp)

Skip Backward     Skip Backward (Cntl+B)

Skip Forward      Skip Forward (Cntl+F)

Clear             Clear (Backspace)

barbaraharwood Newbie

Hi edwardpjackman,

Thank you for contacting Slingbox Forum again. I am sorry I was not able to get the remote you wanted.

We do have a process on how you can request Sling Media to get that THR22 remote.  This applies to any remote not listed so Sling Media can research information to get them.  Here is the link with instructions on that process:

Hope this helps with your issue!

Have a great day!

Sling Moderation Team