4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2012 7:52 AM by OvCollyer RSS

Slinglink Turbo vs Power Line Network Adapter with 500Mbps

Bluesters

The specs on a Slinglink indicate 85 MBps, would it not be better to purchase a powerline adapter with speeds up to 500 MBps.

• Re: Slinglink Turbo vs Power Line Network Adapter with 500Mbps
          Bluesters

To elaborate, will a different adapter say with 500 Mbps be compatible with Slingbox?

OvCollyer Apprentice

Yes it'll work - I use Devolo dLAN 500Mbps homeplugs for my home network - however if the sole reason you are going to use these adapters is for your Slingbox then you don't need the extra speed, since a Slingbox stream maxes out at 8Mbps anyway.

Be aware, though, that If you do go for the Slinglink Turbo that if you later wanted to expand your network to other rooms/devices and want the faster 500Mbps speed then I don't think the 500Mbps devices on the market are compatible with the 85Mbps devices such as the Slinglink Turbo so you'd likely need to replace the slower ones.

Bluesters

Slingbox only streams at 8Mbps??? WOW, I never would have thought that.

Yes, the only thing I will be doing is streaming Slingbox, so I guess the Slinglink would be best for my needs.

You answered my question, thank you.

I dont quite understand this MBPS stuff.

When a manufacturer advertises at speeds up to 500 Mbps, what does that exactly mean compared to say a 200 Mbps adapter.

I'm confused, they state higher Mbps will stream more effeciently, yet the Slingbox works fine with only 8Mbps?

Or is the higher Mbps more aimed at sharing?

OvCollyer Apprentice

Well, typically the video stream you receive directly to your dish from a satellite for your TV is not that much more - maybe 10-12Mbps for an HD channel, but often less, certainly for standard definition.

Also, you'll most likely only get an 8Mbps stream out of a Slingbox if you are viewing on the same local network as it - or if you are viewing remotely, providing you have good upload bandwidth; nowadays you can get high upload bandwidth via a fibre connection, whereas with a DSL connection you are limited to 1 or 2Mbps.

As for home plug/power line, the number they state is the theoretical maximum Mbps - but you won't get that in practice. As a rough guide to the sort of speeds you might see, of the three 500Mbps devices on my network they are reporting an actual speed of 136Mbps, 161Mbps and 233Mbps - so not even 50% of the rated amount. It depends on the quality of the electrical wiring in your house, and the length of the wiring.

Even so, the Slinglink Turbo's 85Mbps as you can see is still plenty for what you require - even if you only got 10% of its rated speed you'd still be able to get the full Slingbox output. I imagine that is why Sling haven't seen a need to upgrade their devices to the faster speeds that are available these days with this technology.