12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2010 9:39 AM by slingboxcasa RSS

Slingbox Classic and ISP working behind a NAT

basilico51

Cordial greetings to all forum members. :-)

I have purchased, some time ago, a Slingbox Classic in England.

I live in Italy and I thought that my local ISP, Fastweb, was the best for Slingbox: it is based on a technology of optic fibre.

But my ISP, like other around the world, has organized its network behind a NAT.

This fact makes unreachable my Slingbox from outside over Internet.

I tried in many ways to solve the problem.

Now I know that Slingbox PRO has no problem on connecting, from Fastweb network, because of an opportune update of the firmware.

My problem is that this update, available for Slingboxes PRO, is not available for Slingbox Classic. This last is no more supported by SlingMedia and, moreover, never was comercialized in Italy.

The Classic works extremely well in my home and it is well recognized by someone which uses my same ISP.

I would try to force the upgrade of the firmware of my Classic to the current Slingbox PRO firmware, in order to enjoy the

updating provided for this last.

How may I do?

• Re: Slingbox Classic and ISP working behind a NAT
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Basilico,

First off, using Sling Pro firmware on a Classic is not going to work.  The two machines have different hardware components inside and the firmware is specific to the hardware.  The Pro firmware is completely incompatible with the Classic.  That's true of all Slingbox models, they must run what is designed for them.

Perhaps there's a way to fix this though.  The Pro and Classic basically handle connections in the same way.  A little more information would be helpful...

- What type of computer and Operating System do you use ?  MacBook/10.5.8 Leopard, or Dell Desktop/Win XP SP2 for example.

- Are you using the SlingPlayer program, or the Web Player ?  If you have the program, which version please ?

- What router brand/model do you have ?

You mentioned that you have tried many ways to resolve this already.  Have you tried adjusting the port forwarding rules on your router to allow traffic on port 5001 ?

I look forward to your response !    Can't promise we can fix it together, but let's try.

- Az

basilico51

In this moment I use a netbook Acer with Win7 and SlingPlayer 2.0.4.521.

I have used both SlingPlayer and the web player.

My router is a D-Link 524.

The first thing that I did, when I configurate the Slingbox Classic, was the port-forwarding.

Reminding my attempts:

First, I hook up the Slingbox to my router, which was directly connected to an hardware, whose name is Hug, a sort of router supplied by ISP.

Then I used my pc, under WinXP sp2, to configure the Slingbox by the SlingPlayer recorded on the cdrom of SlingMedia, maybe version 1.5.

No problem in my home. Problem outside.

Therefore I asked to Sling desk. They suggested to download new version of SlingPlayer.

And also we tried to activate a public IP (which I should pay 4 euros a day) after that it was possible, for the desk, to see  the streaming from my Sling. When we disconnected the public IP, the streaming ceased.

We tried also to hook up the Sling to the Hug, with the same results.

I asked too to the ISP if it was possible to open the doors 5001 of the Hug and they replied that no door was closed in their network and in their hardware. The only true problem is their NAT.

I do not know how the problem has been resolved for the Slingbox PRO but surely it has been done.

I tried also with MAC. I have a laptop Acer with double o.s. and I configured Slingbox in that environment. Same results: in my home no problem, outside no signal.

Of course, the same result I have had with the web Player, with which I try the streaming from my pc, at office.

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Basilico,

Thank you for the extra information, it helped and I understand better now.

And also we tried to activate a public IP (which I should pay 4 euros a day) after that it was possible, for the desk, to see  the streaming from my Sling. When we disconnected the public IP, the streaming ceased.

Yeah, that's a problem.  At first I thought perhaps the troublesome NAT might be on your side near the Optical Terminal box at your house, or some other ISP equipment that you have access (and permission) to adjust.  If the ISP can make things work at the flip of a switch (a paid service upgrade, of course), then they've clearly got firm control of the NAT.

I asked too to the ISP if it was possible to open the doors 5001 of the Hug and they replied that no door was closed

They don't need to close doors if they're blocking incoming traffic on their end.  That was a technically true- but useless- answer on their part.

I do not know how the problem has been resolved for the Slingbox PRO but surely it has been done.

I don't know for sure either, the Pro and Classic handle connectivity in very similar ways.  There's one possibility that I've been reading about recently.  Apparently, it's possible to connect through firewalls using UDP instead of TCP for the Slingbox connection.  UDP can get around port forwarding to do it's job.

Using UDP instead of TCP for remote viewing is still too new of a topic for me to try and advise you myself, but I can say it's worth a shot to look into.  The basic idea is to force the use of UDP by making careful, deliberate choices in the Setup Assistant.  I've been learning about this at placeshiftingenthusiasts.com, and here's a link to the specific post that provides steps and background info.  Might be worth a look.

I don't think this idea relies on anything to do with the firmware, so if it addresses your problem it should work on your Classic.

Hope this helps, good luck !

- Az

BrandonC Novice

I don't know how your router security settings work but is ithere a way you can go to the security settings of your router and turn off NAT loopback? This could be the issues with the SlingBox Classic. You won't get this problem on the Pro or Pro HD.

basilico51

Thanks, AZ. As per your suggest, I tried the solution of enforcing the UDP instead of TCP but it did not give any result.

About the NAT loopback, BrandonC, my router cannot be modified and I cannot change also the features of the hardware of my ISP.

I tried also to fix the IP of my router, but nothing seems to change.

basilico51

This problem seems to be unsolvable.

One of the ways I tried was to activate a DDNS towards an hostname provided by No-Ip service.

But, also if the dinamic IP is regularly sent to the hostname, it is not even pingable from outside.

It is a  mistery how Slingbox Pro works behind a NAT such that of my ISP.

I suppose it is with something like a VPN based on a SlingMedia server.

It should be so also working with the ID number of the Slingbox. Not for Slingbox Classic, I see.

Bah!

eferz Expert

You actually don't need DDNS, since Sling Locator Service handles that for you.

It sounds like to me you have BOTH a Slingbox Classic AND a Slingbox Pro on the same network.  Go to http://support.slingbox.com and you should see both of your Slingboxes listed there.  If it isn't then you might not be logged on, use the login link on the upper-right hand corner of the page.

You should see each of your Slingboxes' Public IP address and port information.  If both the IP address and Port number are the same then it means, your router only has port forwarding for one of your Slingboxes.  This is because each Slingbox requires a unique IP address and Port combination.  If your Slingbox is on the same local network then the public IP address can be the same but you need a unique Port number for each one.  You will need to manually change the other Slingbox's TCP port configuration and then log into your firewall and create a new port forwarding rule for it.

basilico51

No, eferz, I have not two Slingbox. I have only a Slingbox Classic. In this moment I am trying to estabilish a tunnelling IPV6 in order to have a public IP available for my Slingbox. But does Slingplayer work with IPV6?

But, till now; I cannot see the streaming also if I put my public IPV6 in the configuration of my Sling. Neither working with the Delegated User Domain which seems to be a host name. I suppose to have to assign a fixed IPV6 to my router D-Link 524, but I cannot trace, among its features, the possibility of fix the IPV6 for it. I wrote to the assistance of Freenet6 which is the provider of IPV6 and I am waiting their reply. I am sure that, at the moment, only with a public IP I can avoid the limits of the NAT of my ISP.

basilico51

There is something new about my request?

I have buied a Slingbox Solo and it seems that it works also outside Fastweb network.

I have now a Slingbox Classic useless.

Surely, Slingbox Classic is better than Solo, because it allows the contemporary complete netting of three sources, while Solo has a limit in transmitting sound for for only one source.

But that's the situation. The upgrade of the firmware for slingboxes Solo and Pro make possible to avoid any Nat.

This upgrade was not provided for Slingbox Classic, until now, and there is no hope that this upgrade will be provided in the future.

slingboxcasa

Dear friends,

do you know something about an upgrade of the Classic which could align it to slingbox Solo and Pro about the working behind a NAT?

slingboxcasa

I note that, as Sling Media does not support Slinbox Classic, this is the most difficult broadcasting problem to solve.

I have a Slingbox Classic behind the Nat of my Isp, Fastweb, and I cannot see anything from outside the net of my Isp, i.e. from anywhere.

It is really frustrating.

I like very much an items like Slingbox (I have also a Slingbox Solo, because I was obliged to buy it as substitute of my Classic one) , but the lack of solution for this situation reduces my good opinion of Sling Media. An hardware that I buied on 2009 in U.K. which has no more support in renewing its firmware. For me, absurd.