10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2012 6:51 AM by stringer3 RSS

slingcatcher cannot connect to slingbox because of network error

stringer3 Newbie

Hi

Help!  Just arrived in France, and slingcatcher gives me the message above.  Can watch on WATCH on my laptop (really good picture) and on my ipad, just not on slingcatcher.  have recently changed to sky fibre so new router and modem.  Think this may be the problem, but what to do about it.  Have already reset slingcatcher to factory settings, and slingbox at home has been set up for internet viewing.  I am sure it is something silly, but I cannot figure it out

• Re: slingcatcher cannot connect to slingbox because of network error
          daugustus5150 Newbie

Hi stringer3,

I'm sorry to hear the Slingcatcher keeps giving you that error code when your trying to use it. I would try performing what is called a power cycle and maybe one more factory reset. I'll list the links below on how to do those.

Resetting your SlingCatcher

* You will have to scroll down a bit on this page to find the Power Cycle instructions, but they apply to the Slingcatcher as well as the Slingbox.

All about the lights on the front of the Slingbox

Best of luck,

The Slingbox Moderation Team

stringer3 Newbie

No, tried both and no luck.  Has it got something to do with the fact that in England I have upograded to fibre optic broadband and so have a new modem and router?  Having said that, I have successfully set up the slingbox for internet viewing with the new router/modem, and viewing on my laptop in France via watch gives a very good picture

Any more suggestions would be gratefully received, cos it's a really important part of our lives here in France!

jamesmccourt Novice

Have you manually opened port 5001 on your router in the UK? This needs to be done and set to TCP only for it to work. The Slingplayer and 'watch' on this site are different and don't require TCP. Check which feed you have by connecting to Slingbox and clicking Shift, Alt and the letter 'I' on the desktop Slingplayer or Ctrl and click the left button of your mouse on 'watch', while the cursor is on the actual TV feed. This brings up the feed statistics.

If you haven't opened a port for a TCP feed at the location of the Slingbox then the SlingCatcher will not work. Also, turn off any firewalls on the router as this may be blocking the SlingCatcher.

J.

jamesmccourt Novice

PS: Is it a Slingbox or the Echostar HDS600RS? If it's Slingbox then open port 5001 or HDS600RS needs 5101 to be opened.

stringer3 Newbie

This sounds like a real possibility.  Thanks, though before the change of router/modem in England there has never been a problem and I have never manually opened port 5001

Yes, it is a slingbox

As I've said I am in France.  Can I check the feed on watch on my laptop here or do I need to be in England?   And what exactly am I looking for?  (sorry!)

If I find that is the problem, how exactly do I manually open port 5001?  Can it be done here or only in England?  There is someone at home in England to do it if I give precise instructions over the phone

As you've probably guessed, I am no techie!

jamesmccourt Novice

Hey,

That is definitely the problem. SNATT won't work with a SlingCatcher- it needs to be a TCP feed.

Port forwarding is for incoming and outgoing like opening a door. You want to open port 5001 for a Slingbox. Unfortunately it has to be done on your UK home network where the Slingbox is located. Either someone can help or use the free version of www.logmein.com - they download it on their computer and you on yours. When their computer is on you can access it remotely and then access your router. You just need to know their password to get into their computer. There's a paid version of logmein too but you don't need that.

Most routers allow you to access them by putting http://192.168.1.0 or something into the Internet browser address bar. You need to know what type of router you have then Google the instructions on how to access it and how to port forward. It will be simple but all routers work differently. For example Netgear just requires you to enter www.routerlogin.com in the address bar and then has default passwords to enter-all listed on the instructions

Basically though you identify the IP address of the Slingbox by looking at the attached devices. It might be something like 192.168.1.2 and then go to port forwarding and open port 5001 for that IP address an also select TCP as the feed. Not UDP or a mix of the two.

You might have to to get someone to reset the Slingbox after this has been done or it may just work. Try 'watch' again and check the feed before trying the SlingCatcher.

Sounds complicated but once you've mastered the settings of your home router it's fine! If there's ever a power cut in the UK you may lost port forwarding and have to reset it.

Hope that all helps!

J.