18 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2010 11:02 AM by eferz RSS

Poor picture quality

burnside Newbie

Hi, I try to watch my slingbox off my iphone on wifi.  I know two reasons why I may not have great picture quality is because I am using a Slingbox AV instead of the HD model and I have a first gen iphone.  Still, the picture quality is horrible!  I watch MLB games and they look crisp and have a fast smooth stream.  Do you think that upgrading my sling to the HD model will make things that much better?  I'm planning on getting the next iphone when it comes out.

• Re: Poor picture quality
          gabrielle Newbie

i was in your situation and bought a solo.picture quality on my iphone is clearer than my picture on my hdtv! high speed internet helps,i found out.get the solo--i was watching a golf tournament the other day and i could see the ball in the air and when it hit the green. night and day between solo and av! as a sidenote,from start to finish i had the solo up and running in under 30 minutes (hooking up cables included). Sling has really simplified the process of setting up a slingbox! hope this helps!

Call Sling with your s/n (i believe) on your av and they may give you a 20% discount on your new Slingbox--they did for me!

burnside Newbie

I just won an auction for the Pro HD, so hopefully I'll be all good to go soon!  Thanks for letting me know that the AV is the big issue with the quality, makes me rest assured that the upgrade was necessary.  Which iphone are you using by the way?

gabrielle Newbie

Congrats on the Pro HD.I have the Iphone 3G.With your Iphone upgrade, I'm sure you'll see a big difference in the picture quality--in combination with the Pro HD.Good luck and enjoy.Post if no improvement.Don't know if you know this,but the newer Iphones(at least 3g and up) make Slingbox available via 3g -- comes automatically with Sling app--pretty cool stuff (TV almost any where on your phone)!

Message was edited by: David K (Saints44)

Message was edited by:David K (Saints44)

burnside Newbie

Just wanted to let you know that my Pro HD came in and the picture on my iphone 2G looks better already and is less choppy.  Can't wait for the new iphone to come out!

gabrielle Newbie

Glad to hear that! Just wait until you get the iphone upgrade--you'll think you died and went to tv heaven! Please post how it goes with upgrade(4g,right)?

burnside Newbie

Yeah, going to buy the 4g when it comes out.

gabrielle Newbie

Pro HD with iPhone 4g--I'm gonna be jealous,dude! Your picture quality should be flawless!Definitely post the outcome of that combo.Not to get you too excited,but did you know that Dish just released a DVR with Slingbox built in to it?

burnside Newbie

I heard about that combo, but I have Fios at home, can't complain. 

gabrielle Newbie

I checked out that Fios--not a bad plan.Dish has "Dish Remote Access" and the cool thing about it that most people don't know about it is that it is available as an app on the Iphone.It works in combination with Sling on the iphone and functions as one app.When you boot up Sling on your iphone,a list of your tv programming comes up (Dish Remote Access)---- just scroll up or down,find the program you want to watch,tap it,and in just a few seconds the program comes on---a Really nice tool to have! But,unfortunately for you,you need Dish to use it in this way.Can't wait to hear about your new iphone when you get it. Later.

eferz Expert

I think most people are interested in Sling for their television placeshifting technology.  The app you're referring to is just a fancy remote control / recording manager for the iPhone.  You can't actually watch your recordings nor can you watch live TV through that app.

gabrielle Newbie

You can watch your recordings as well as everything else because when you install this app,it automatically "connects" to your slingbox (provided,of course,if you are a Dish subscriber)--it has been working for me for months.When you press the Sling app on your iphone,it goes straight to your Dish Remote Access---this includes your tv listings,dvr recordings,etc. Then,you press on whatever program you want to watch (including recorded programs),and within seconds,your program comes on your iphone.IT acts as a shortcut to viewing any program you want to watch.It really does work and very well I may add.I use it often!You are right about one thing--if you press on the Dish Remote app on your iphone,you can't access Slingbox from this app.But,you can access Dish Remote Access from your Slingbox app,press on the program you want to watch,and it comes on in seconds on your iphone! Ingenious tool! Research it a bit further--you'll see that my info is correct.