13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2012 9:32 AM by OvCollyer RSS

Revue was awful, WD TV Live Media player no better. Anyone got it working right?

pennste Newbie

My Revue is in the junk pile and I had hoped the WD Live TV device would fix the problems never fixed in the Revue but got my first and maybe last test of the WD device and it behaves no better. Freezing, can't use high bandwidth, hard to use controls, reboots required, etc. Slingmedia just can't seem to figure out how to make these devices work. As always, I'll go back to my Vulkano and Slingbox access via HDMI equipped Laptop - they both work great. 

• Re: Revue was awful, WD TV Live Media player no better. Anyone got it working right?
          lolcatz Newbie

This is SO frustrating.

I wish i read your post before buying my WD TV LIVE HUB.

Just like you, few months ago i bought a google tv (logitech revue) just to use it with my slingbox PRO-HD while I'm away from home. But it didn't work AT ALL: Freezes, random errors.. etc. All this errors are well documented here on the forum and recognized by the sling staff as a problem with the APP/Device, and all they say about it: "we're working with google to get it fixed".

So i decided to buy a boxee box... gets me angry just to think about it. Long story, but more or less, the same junk as with the Logitech revue.

And now, for the third time, i bought a new device, the **** WD TV Live hub, what could go wrong, right?. And once again, i'm disappointed to see the app is exactly the same web app from the previous devices and it simply doesn't work AT all. Sometimes it does, but i'd say only 10% - 15% of the time. It makes the WDlive crash, slow and you constantly need to reboot the device. Most of the time I get error codes 3,4,23,16... (HTTP errors, network errors, error retrieving source IR controls... and several others)

I'm posting this on this forum because the forum for the WD players is closed for new threads. Honestly, this is so frustrating... the sling people will try to make you think the problem is on your network, your slingbox or everything else except the buggy, baddly coded app. You call yourselfs software engineers/developers?.

I guess for now i'll keep using the **** web player and my ipad, both work relatively "fine".

• Re: Revue was awful, WD TV Live Media player no better. Anyone got it working right?
              pennste Newbie

Couldn't agree more. This is a Slingmedia fiasco, not a WD problem, not a Logitech problem, etc. My only criticism of the hardware manufacturer is that they apparently don't care if a software vendor (Slingmedia) causes their product to look bad. Not like any of these devices is going to be anything more than a blip on the technology radar, but it would be nice to see someone improve on the placeshifting technology. Vulkano has done a better job than Slingmedia but doesn't have the market share to get much attention. 

lolcatz Newbie

I hope someone from the sling support team comes here at least to let us know they "acknowledge" the problem.

It would be about a year before they actually do something, but at least it would be "something". I don't understand how they advertise this "new" connected device as compatible when it's just junk software. I don't think they test the device/software at all before releasing it. This is so frustrating.

I'll just return the WD LIVE HUB and stop trying to use the slingbox with "connected devices".

shaysfn Novice

Hey lolcatz,

I understand that your having trouble watching your Slingbox on some connected devices. I understand that that can be frustrating, I have an article that will answer some commonly asked questions.  SlingPlayer for connected devices FAQ.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Sling Moderation Team

pennste Newbie

The problem is that the code is not designed to maximize a user's experience with the Slingbox and a Revue/Boxee/WD Media Player/etc. It might work "good enough" on a smartphone but to drive a 1080 picture halfway around the world via internet connectivity it just can't perform. The only environment that I can use today to get a great experience (driving a 82" Mitsubishi HD TV) is one no longer supported by Slingmedia and that is using the Slingplayer client on a Windows based computer with a HDMI connection and having lots of bandwidth available at the source and target sites.  That works great but its not new. If its new, it should get better, not worse. Ask RIM about that.

lolcatz Newbie

Hello shaysfn,

Don't get me wrong, but your answer is exactly the kind of useless response from the sling people that gets me so angry. I still appreciate tha fact that you post "something".

But come on!, do you really think people like me really needs to read the FAQ once again?, learn about the setup, and stuff?. Do you really think the average user is the customer for a slingbox?. Seriously?. I'm not PC genius, but i'm not the average user either..... just like everyone else in this forum. Just like every slingbox customer. "early adopters" does that sound familiar?.

Let's just stop the non-sense, and bring the dev team to the conversation, let them know about the problems, point them here to the forums.... help us contact them. And if you can't do that, at least let us know what we can do to contact these people. They're responsible for the bad performance of their poorly coded clone app that they just "port" to the next "connected device" without any improvements, testing or optimization.

Stop blaiming our network setup, the devices ("connected devices") manufacturer... or any other poor excuse sling media always comes up with.

I've noticed the slingplayer app gives most of the random errors when the connection between the slingbox and my WDTV device has a ping higer than 100ms. they are connected over the internet. In other words the app is not optimized for connections over the internet.

The slingbox is connected to a fiber optic connection: 75/35Mbit/s (75Mbit/s down, 35Mbit/s up) . Completely dedicated to the slingbox. No other device is using the internet connection.

My WDTV device is connected to a traditional cable internet conexion (coaxial, copper) 30Mbit/s/5Mbit/s... altough the speeds are very stable in this connection, the ping between my slingbox and my WDTV is not, ranging from 80ms to 150ms throughout the day. But once again, don't question the connection speed in my cable internet provider, it's always a very stable 30/5Mbit/s it's just the ping between the slingbox and the WDTV the one that varies. Also, not packet loss.

Using the same network above, i can use the sling  web player, ipad player or android player with no issues at all. Clearly these platforms are much more tolerant to the varying conditions of internet connections. The slingplayer app for "connected devices" is not tolerant at all.

pennste Newbie

Apparently Slingmedia hasn't heard of soliciting user requirements from actual users. If they did, they wouldn't have wasted everyone's time on the streaming media device failures. 

jamesmccourt Novice

And the joke is my SlingCatcher is amazing and they no longer make it!! Simple to use, reliable and good picture quality. I paid $300 for mine on EBay but it was worth it. Just a shame 'connected devices' seems to be such a mess.