3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2012 5:57 PM by jamesmccourt RSS

Kbps higher on 'watch' than Catcher

jamesmccourt Novice

Hi,

My Kbps stream averages around 700Kbps on 'watch' on this site but only around 500 Kbps on the SlingCatcher.

Is there any possible reason for this? The Catcher is hard wired to my router and my laptop is wireless so surely it should be the other way around?

Thanks!

J.

• Re: Kbps higher on 'watch' than Catcher
          Klaus0406 Newbie

there will always be differences in the streaming throughput that you see on your client devices even though you may be connecting to the same slingbox and your network conditions for most part are not changing. these differences could be due to the capability of the hardware platform and processing abilities of the client devices.

jamesmccourt Novice

Hey,

It's just that it hasn't previously been this way and nothing has changed. The Catcher and 'watch' or my desktop Slingplayer always showed the same Kbps.

Now the Catcher starts streaming at around 768Kbps and after about 30 seconds starts to drop, then averaging around 500Kbps. Why would it drop like this? previously it always streamed at 750-768 continuously.

Thanks for any more advice. Should I try rebooting the router and Slingbox?

J.

jamesmccourt Novice

Reset my HDS 600RS by clicking on 'library' in the main Sling menu on the box and then selecting 'check disc for errors'. This does a 10 minute reboot without needing to be there with the HDS (ignore the warning that it 'takes several hours' - it doesn't!). This way it doesn't re-scan for channels but does reset the box. You can't access it remotely during this time but it always goes back online and reconnects to the router by itself.

In my case it has restored my speed. I don't know what the problem was but it seemed to stem from an outage on Friday 6/22/2012 when the 'watch' page and my desktop Slingplayer both lost my account details and I also then couldn't log in. After around an hour they returned on their own.

J.