20 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2012 6:26 PM by everlifted RSS

Power supply issue

RomSling

My Slingbox pro-hd activated in January doesn't power up anymore. It has a Kteck supply and it looks like is dead. What do I need to do to get a replacement? Is it covered under warranty?

• Re: Power supply issue
          tomolde

I am having the same problem!  I bought my unit earlier this year and a few weeks ago it stopped working.  It appears not to have power. When I unplug the unit and then plug it back in the power light comes on for a few seconds and then fades to black. Th reset button did not help. I cannot find any related information on the net and it appears difficult or impossible to find a contact number for customer service. I am thinking I got a bad unit

everlifted

Same problem here.

RomSling

I have the slingbox in europe. My brother had power supply checked and it is good. Looks like the unit itself is bad. I'll call support tonight and see what we can do. I'll let you guys know.

jcanameroc

very same problem here. I bought it on February of this year, it was working nicely until a few days ago, just when I wanted to watch the Eurocup when I was traveling, bad timing to get broken!

RomSling

Follow up:

Just got back the unit. Power supply is good. Unit is bad.

Pleasantly surprised with tech support. They will replace both unit and power supply. They will even do a cross shippment (credit card needed as collateral) and include return UPS label. Hopefully I'll be up and running again in a few days.

jstelle

Wow me too. This is an epidemic! I'm out of town on holiday and no access to my box. I had a "very good" friend go into my house and shuffle the power cable around. The power and network lights come on for a few seconds then fad away and no connection no TV!

Unbelievable! @#$#@!

ddbq

When I first looked into this, rapidly came to the conclusion to get the 'extended warrenty'; glad I did because my unit (PRO-HD, 14+ weeks old) went out with the exact same thing (on power cycle, pwr light came on with a bit of flicker on the ethernet and a 'swipe' of the sling logo, then dead) today.  Quick call to support and they'll be shipping out a new unit tomorrow, hopefully will get before the 4th.

This exact same failure is what I saw repeated over and over here on the support board; and no, it doesn't appear to be the actual power 'wall wart', but something in the actual base unit.  Well, hopefully will get back up and running soon.

beckifields Novice

Hello jstelle,

Thanks for reaching out to us in the land of the Forums.  In the off chance you have not contacted us, we do ask that you please contact us.

Just give us a call.  We want to help with the power issue you are having.

If you're in the US or Canada, the correct number to call is 877.GO.SLING (877.467.5464). For other geos, just use this page to find the correct contact info:

http://support.slingbox.com/go/contact-sling-media

With Kind Regards,

The Sling Box Moderation Team

bobwaskom

Same exact problem here, support got on the phone asked me a few questions and a new base unit is on UPS and will be here tomorrow. Hopefully whatever part is failing has been identified and it just won't keep happening.

vkyand

Same thing here...happened to be in the same room as the Slingbox when I smelled a burning electrical smell. The power cord was extremely hot and the unit was dead. I have had my box for less than three months, and I use it on my iPad all the time. Very disappointed but Customer Support was fantastic. They are shipping me a new box and power cord along with a box to return my burned one. Now that is CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! It does appear that the power cords are an issue with the Slingbox products, so I hope they can work that out.

kulaben

This has happened to my Pro HD. Worked ok last night, but this morning has no power lights. I have had mine for 5 months. Tried to contact support by phone but when i hit 1 for english support nothing happened...starting to wonder!! If anyone monitoring this at Sling support please let me know another way to communicate

• Re: Power issue
                                Ccass400

Just had my parents call me from our shore house.   'what happened to slingbox connection'.   Go downstairs and unit is off.  Unplug, plug it back in and it flickers red light and logo.....then fades to off.      This does appear to be some type of issue with an entire production run.    I am going to venture that this is an overheating issue.     I placed my unit on top of the cable box.  The cable box appears to emit a decent amount of heat.  I would think Sling would like to know where you all put your slingbox as well.    I have Slingbox HD pro and have owned for about 60 days.   It's been on for 60 days straight but by default of this technology, almost everyone is going to leave both their slingbox and cable box ON all the time.    I'll call customer service tomorrow.   Very disapointing.

• Re: Power issue
                                    pjhamilton

I have had the same issue 4 times now and live outside the country. Each time there is nothing I can do until I return to the US. Then I have to buy a new one since by that time it is outside of the 90 day warranty. It is very frustrating to keep buying a product that only lasts 3 to 4 months.