10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2012 10:11 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Polaroid DTT5212A Remote

shawcross0161

Hi,

Let me begin with apologies if my questions come across as stupid, but I am new to using slingbox and have spent the past two days tearing my hair out trying to get a remote that will work with a freeview set top box. I am currently trying to use a Polaroid DTT5212A. This is a simple, cheap freeview box bought as a last resort after I had no luck trying to get another freeviw box to work. After trying what seems like every possible option I cannot seem to find an on screen remote that will work with the set top box. Can anyone help? I have looked trough various external sites for a suitable .BIN file but to no avail. I would be willing to buy another new freeview box if I knew that I could find a remote that would work with it. It's so infuriating that there isn't some kind of list of compatible devices that I could simply just go out and buy a device from!

I would be genuinely happy if I could just find a configuration that would allow me to change channel remotely.

Again, apologies if this post comes across as rambling but after two long days of trying to get this to work I really have lost it!

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Polaroid DTT5212A Remote
          alanrichey42 Master

OK, I have done my best here but I am not at all confident.   I normally find the codes for unsupported devices by loading the device onto my Logitech Harmony Universal Remote and get it to 'mimic' the original remote.  Unfortunately Polariod is not a recognised manufacturer on the Logitech database so I could not load it.   A Google Search on DTT5212A showed that Dreammax also do a box with that designation so I hoped it might be the same.   Unfortunately, although Dreammax is a recognised manufacturer, the database didn't have the DTT5212A as a recognised bix.  But it did suggest the Dreamax DT-470 as a possible option.   So I have built a Custom Remote for that box in the hope that they are right.

So not much chance, but worth giving it a try

shawcross0161

Thank you very much for your help, but unfortunately I have indeed had no luck. I know that this is probably asking a lot, but I think I am going to need to buy a different freeview box, is there anything or any one in particular that I should be going for to try and maximise chances of compatability?

Thank you for your help so far. Whilst the SlingBox itself is definitely somewhat of a let down so far I can see the forums here go some way to making up for it!

alanrichey42 Master

Fair enough, didn't have much hope.   In answer to your questions:

1.  For fully supported devices, see http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000164

2.  Unsupported devices that have working Custom Remotes:  http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=87

3.  For a list of all the devices on the Harmony database (meaning I can probably build a Custom Remote) see:  (www.logitech.com/harmony/components)

Good luck

shawcross0161

Thanks for all the useful links. I plan on replacing the current Polaroid set top box this afternoon. I will do my best to get one that is compatable. In the mean time I have managed to dig out an old Argos STB-101 freeview receiver which I forgot I had. I have checked and whilst there isn't currently a remote support the Harmony database you mentioned shows that it is supported. Do you think it is worth me going about trying to build the .BIN file? It may be tricky but if it can save me at least £60 then I think the effort should be worth it.

Thanks again.

alanrichey42 Master

To build a bin file takes extra hardware and a LOT of working with software tools.  It has taken me 2 years to get completely comfortable with it.   I'll do it for you, give me 30 mins or so.

alanrichey42 Master

How about this one ?

shawcross0161

Amazingly, this hasn't worked either. I am honestly beginning to believe that perhaps there is an issue with the slingbox. Or perhaps even just that god hates me. Either way, I tried both of the .BIN files both to no avail. I tried every button on the remote, including whilst experimenting having the IR blasters in different places and that they are transmitting. The freeview box functions properly when used with the original remote.

Truly baffled now. I can't exoress how grateful I am for your help though, I would have given up much sooner had it not been for your advice.

I'm not sure it is even worth me going out and buying yet another freeview box only to suffer this same problem.

alanrichey42 Master

I'm afraid all my ideas are already in the Readme file.  But if you have proven the IR Blaster and made sure the placement is correct, not sure where we go from here.   Do you have another IR-driven device we could test ?  (TV, DVD...)

shawcross0161

I do have other devices here, Blu-Ray player, DVD recorder etc. that I suppose could be sued to test. problem is however that none of them are supported by default, which places us in the same position as we are currently, needing to upload the .BIN for the remote, which for obvious reasons I am loathed to do, as I just can't see it working.

I have just downloaded and am currently trying to configure through the SlingPlayer, rather than using the browser as previous. Short of this working I really must assume there is an issue beyond my control. And that I may perhaps be better of going to the trouble of returning the SlingBox SOLO, 2 freeview recievers and just spending the extra for a SlingBox PRO which I'm given to understand has a freeview reciever built in? Obviously this would solve my problem immediately should this be the case.

Thanks again for all your help. I would certainly consider donating to any kind of SlingBox charity of your choice by way of thanks!