21 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2012 8:32 PM by nchu Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Cant finish setting up remote (Not in USA)

nchu Newbie

I've finally had my slingbox working for a while now (knock on wood) but I cannot set up the remote permanently.  It says to enter a ZIP CODE at the end.  I don't live in the US so I continually have to re set up the remote every time I re open the slingbox browser.  What gives???  I set it up originally in Canada so there should be no reason that I should be asked to enter a US Zip code.  Please give some feedback.

• Re: Cant finish setting up remote (Not in USA)
          alanrichey42 Master

Just put a random ZIP code in (I use 90210 )   It's only used to provide the Program Guide which will be useless to you anyway.

nchu Newbie

I did but then it says the remote is not correct!  I am currently using Telus Scientific Atlanta IPN430-MC.  That remote is not listed under TELUS.

alanrichey42 Master
                  I did but then it says the remote is not correct!

Eh ?   That isn't a message I ever recall seeing doing a setup.  What EXACTLY is the message ?

nchu Newbie

When I enter a random zip a bunch of other remotes show up that do not work.  So typical of Slingbox support.  I can't get any feedback from them directly.

alanrichey42 Master

You misunderstand.  The ONLY purpose of asking you for a ZIP code is so you get the right program guide for your area.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the remotes.

And the statement "..bunch of other remotes show up that do not work.."  doesn't give us a clue where your problem lies.  If you want us to help you are going to have to be a lot more specific.   So lots more information please, remember we cannot see what you are doing/seeing, you have to explain in great detail.

nchu Newbie

I don't know if you are supposed to be a mod or something but how can a zip code be the right program area when the slingbox isn't located in the US?!?!  You guys over there must think I'm an idiot but the fact is your customer service continues to be imcompotent.

I've tried numerous times to enter a random zip code (even the closest zip code to my area, which is anywhere in Washington.  Slingbox is in Vancouver BC) and it'll work for the time being.  As SOON as I re open the browser to watch again next time the remote is once again gone and it says "Input not configured".  Do you realize how frustrating it is to have to re set this up every single time to change the channel??

I apologize for the rudeness if you are just a normal forum poster but this is the usual help I can receive from Slingbox customer service which is zilch.  Worst costumer support I have ever seen from any company.

alanrichey42 Master
                                  I don't know if you are supposed to be a mod or something but how can a zip code be the right program area when the slingbox isn't located in the US?!?!  You guys over there must think I'm an idiot but the fact is your customer service continues to be imcompotent.

No, I am just a user like yourself, but I happen to have a bit more experience of Slingboxes than the average user, so I am happy to try and help out here.  Mind you, comments like yours don't exactly encourage me

What I was trying to say was that when you install a US-built Slingbox, as I do in the UK with one I imported, you have to accept that it will ask you for a ZIP code so it can access the proper electonic program guide for that area.   As the UK, and I assume Canda does not support EPGs then it is irelvant and you can pick any number.

As SOON as I re open the browser to watch again next time the remote is once again gone and it says "Input not configured".  Do you realize how frustrating it is to have to re set this up every single time to change the channel??

OK, that has absolutely nothing to do with the ZIP code entry.  If the input configures correctly then fails later I would point a finger at the Slingbox itself.  Looks like the flash memory that holds all your configuration is failing.

I apologize for the rudeness if you are just a normal forum poster but this is the usual help I can receive from Slingbox customer service which is zilch.  Worst costumer support I have ever seen from any company.

But you misunderstand the purpose of this forum.  It is NOT a support forum it is, as the title suggests, a discussion forum for users to compare notes to see if problems can be solved.  As it is hosted by Sling they do provide moderators, but they are not support personnel, they just watch the posts and if they know that a specific problem is covered in the Sling knowledge base they will point you in that direction.  They are not qualifies to offer specific advice.

Cheers

Al

nchu Newbie

Like I said Al I apologize and have nothing against you as you are the only one actually responding and trying to help.  Can't say so as much for the actual Slingbox mods.

OK so back to the topic on hand.  As I am not in the location of my Slingbox its very difficult for me to follow up on any of these suggestions.  I've had my cousin (whose name is on the account come over to the house in Vancouver to help with this situation every time).  What exactly do you mean by my flash memory failing?  How could I fix that?  Not sure exactly what you mean by the EPGs as well.

You have to understand Al the reason I get so irate at this forum is because it is the only place I can rant on Slingbox's customer service.  I am much more used to speaking to a person on the phone but since Slingbox doesn't offer that service unless I pay an extra fee for their customer service (which don't you think is absurd?) I have no choice but to take out my frustration here.  I've had too many problems with my Sling to count and the fact that I am not there in person to try and fix it makes it twice as difficult.  Luckily its been connecting without problems lately but of course another problem arises alas the remote.  Hopefully your suggestions help but I will need more info if I'm to ask someone over in Van to help me!  Appreciate your help though!

alanrichey42 Master
                                          What exactly do you mean by my flash memory failing?  How could I fix that? 

Nothing.   This is just an area of memory in the Slingbox where it stores all the information it needs such as passwords, input configuration, remote codes...   Now if that starts to fail for any reason it can lose or corrupt the data.  So you get lots of 'odd' symptoms.  Personally I had one where the admin password would not store correctly so after a full factory reset and setting of the password it would subsequently accept it.

Having said that it is a known defect that weak power supplies can cause similar errors so the first check should always be to swap out the power supply.  Otherwise it's a replacement Slingbox.

Not sure exactly what you mean by the EPGs as well.

Electronic Program Guide that you can pull up to display the TV Listings.   That is what you enter the ZIP code for.   But unfortunately only US, and Canada? are supported as they use information from ZapIt.   So if, like me, you are running a US Slingbox in another country you cannot have an EPG for your location so you just pick any ZIP code.

I am much more used to speaking to a person on the phone but since Slingbox doesn't offer that service unless I pay an extra fee for their customer service (which don't you think is absurd?)

Yes    In my opinion this all came about when Echostar bought Sling Media and all the original founders and staff left.  A 'corporate' mentality set in and this was the result.

Hopefully your suggestions help but I will need more info if I'm to ask someone over in Van to help me!  Appreciate your help though!

What else do you need to know ?

nchu Newbie

So I guess you're pretty much suggesting I reset the Sling again and re set it up again as new?  That could be challenging as my cousin is annoyed with this thing as is lol.  The silly thing is the service provider I use (TELUS) is listed on there its just the remote that's missing.  It was set up fine before so I have no idea why there would be this issue now.

And to be honest even if another company bought Sling out I have never seen or heard of any type of customer service requiring payment to get necessary tech/troubleshoot help!

daugustus5150 Newbie

Hi nchu,

I'm sorry to see that you've been having so much trouble with this. One question I have is did you purchase your Slingbox in Canada? Also, is that the country you are trying to watch in?

Awaiting your response,

The Slingbox Moderation Team