47 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2012 2:28 AM by bobg9224 RSS

Issue with Logitech Revue 3.2 upgrade and sling app

callanish Apprentice

Could someone at slingmedia tech support check to see if the recent 3.2 O.S upgrade of the Logitech Revue now has a problem while trying to watch their slingbox using the spotlight app . The new O.S upgrade has made the picture pretty much unwatchable and the sound is now out of sync. I own two Revues, both upgraded to 3.2 and I have two slingboxes. The streaming speed sent to the sling app on both Revue's are exactly the same as they were before the upgrade, except the picture is now unwatchable and there are sound sync issues. Slingcatcher, P.C, iPhone and iPad are all streaming fine. Only both Logitech Revue's are experiencing this issue. The sling app was buggy, but it was very much watchable. Now, it's no longer watchable.

........and could someone who has upgraded to O.S 3.2 verify that they are experiencing the same problem while watching their Slingbox on the Logitech Revue.

Thanks.

• Re: Issue with Logitech Revue 3.2 upgrade and sling app
          callanish Apprentice

.....on the upside, the freezing screen issues that happen when you access a remote function ( changing channels, bring up the DVR menu, etc. ) is no longer a problem, but unfortunately the distorted video along with the audio sync issue makes that a moot point when trying to view remotely.

-

Based on the Logitech and Google forum websites, seems I'm not the only one with this issue. I will correct my terminology of the problem though thanks to 'Brandon' and say its more of a frame rate issue.

hsuct

I am having the same issues after Revue 3.2 upgrade.

BrandonM

Also having the same issues with the Sling box for Logitech Revue (Google TV) box with the new 3.2 update.  Everything seems fine except the framerate is very low making it unwatchable.

stestardi Newbie

Same problem here.  I'm getting a ~6FPS frame rate and hundreds of dropped frames per minute despite a 4Mbps TCP/LAN connection.

The app (and thus my Slinbox Solo) is now completely unuseable.

Any update form the Slingbox team?

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hi,

I'm sorry for all the trouble you are experiencing with the SlingPlayer for Logitech Revue. I forwarded this thread to our engineers and they are working on a resolution. They may reach out to you individually to confirm settings/results.

I'll update this thread as soon as I get any updates from them.

- Matt

bp1

I'm in the same boat.  Video repeatedly freezes, audio continues.   Changing quality setting will temporarily (5 minutes) solve the problem -- then the video freezes again.

IF this can't be fixed, any recommendations for something besides my logitech reviews THAT WORKS BETTER?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hey everyone, just an update to these widely reported issues with SlingPlayer for Connected Devices since the last Logitech Revue upgrade. It seems that Logitech's most recent upgrade to the Revue has definitely caused an issue with our player, specifically with those users trying to stream via a Slingbox SOLO. Our engineers are aware of the issue and are determining if there is a possible fix, but there is no ETA as of yet. We'll update this thread when we know more. Apologies for the inconvenience. In the meantime, please post the specifics of your system here – we need the following information:

LOGITECH REVUE SYSTEM SOFTWARE (FIRMWARE) VERSION:

SLINGBOX SOLO or PRO-HD?

SLINGBOX FIRMWARE VERSION:

CAN YOU STREAM NORMALLY WITH NO ISSUES VIA WATCH ON SLINGBOX.COM?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hello again,

Thanks so much for your information you provided. I have some information, and I wish it was better news. The most recent Google TV firmware update (3.2 and above) has impacted the performance with Slingbox SOLO significantly. This is the update from engineering:

A recent Google TV firmware update made viewing from the Slingbox SOLO on the Logitech Revue unreliable.  We are investigating this issue, and are working with Google to gain a better understanding of what was changed, but have no ETA for a fix.

- Matt

hayes1267

Any news? I just bought a slingbox and logitech revue to watch sports in the dorm room and the quality makes it imposible.

bobg9224

I inquired last week through Logitech Support regarding my issues with poor picture and drop outs and they sent me the following message today:

"Bob, I regret to inform you that after the latest firmware update on the Logitech Revue, Honeycomb 3.2. The Slingbox is no longer supported, I understand how inconvenient this is. We've been getting emails, and calls regarding the same issue, unfortunately, there is not much we can do since the Logitech Revue no longer supports the Slingbox. Thank you for your understanding on this matter."

How's that for user support and stepping up to solve "their" product problems. 

I now have 3 Revue boxes that don't support the purpose they were bought for and won't interface with the Slingbox.

Not a very good testamonial for Logitech!!!

stestardi Newbie

Was this in a support forum?  If so please send a link.  Logitech stated the following in http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue/Announcement-Google-TV-2-1-1-update/m-p/843362:

[Announcement] Google TV 2.1.1 update

06-07-2012 05:50 PM

Logitech Revue with Google TV boxes began receiving the Google TV 2.1.1 update starting Thursday, June 7. We will continue to provide updates to fix any bugs and/or security issues as they appear. However, we do not intend to upgrade the current Android Honeycomb-based software to Ice Cream Sandwich.

parkee99

Just got my new Vizio Costar hooked up and running. The slingplayer works fine on my Solo after a couple hours of testing. Frame rate seems to stay between 27-35. There are a few glitches here and there but I think it is the Vizio wifi connection fluctuating a bit. Hopefully after an update or two this will be resolve. I am happily watching my slingbox again. The Revue is a paper weight.

oo7plyr

Thanks for posting this. I've been hesistant on purchasing another box. I've gone through a Slingcatcher and Revue already this year. Keep us posted on quality. I was hoping this would be a solution.

parkee99

After resetting my modem and Co-star, my slingplayer works pretty much flawlessly on a wireless connection, I have since hard wired it and it works even better. I am a happy camper. Not sure why they can't fix the Revue. By the sounds of it, the Co-star seems to be the best streaming box currently available for slingplayer.Vizio already had a software update in the first two weeks.

callanish Apprentice

Just switched out my Revue with a Sony's NSZ-GS7 Google TV box and the slingplayer, like on the Vizio co-star, works just fine with streaming and all the functions work without the screen freezing issue that has affected the Solo. It's obvious the Revue will never be fixed and everyone at Sling, Logitech and Google have decided it 's not worth fixing, so the bottom line for Revue owners is upgrading to the co-star or Sony NSZ box will get your slingplayer back. In my opinion, I can say after using the other sling connected devices; the Google tv version on the new hardware seems to be the most stable out of all of them.

bobg9224

Is a fix to Logitech Revue really not in the cards?  Ever?  After jumping on the Revue bandwagon early this year (before the infamous upgrade Logitech did), I'm a bit gun shy about buying another box that isn't rock solid and certified by Slingbox as being a sound catcher for the Slingbox signal.  I'm also dismayed that Slingbox still lists the Revue as a catcher when it is totally unreliable and is constantly dropping out since the Logitech upgrade.

Is Slingbox standing behind any of the recommended catchers like Boxee box, Vizio Co-Star or Sony's NSZ-GS7?  Since there is no direct way to contact Slingbox for Support Questions either before or after purchase, it makes making a  decision pretty tough.  Why doen't Slingbox make some definitive recommendations on their FAQ or Support site?

bobg9224

Where oh where is a defintive answer?  I sent a query to Sony seeking some confidence that the Sony product would work with Slingbox and below is the response I received (at least I received a response from Sony which is more than I can say for Slingbox Support).  I hate to spend the $'s without some assurance that it works from the manufacturers.  Why won't Slingbox respond?

"Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I understand that you wish to know whether the Sony Google TV model NSZ-GS7 can work with Slingbox Pro HD. According to the information available from Slingbox website, only the following devices can be used with it:

- Basic Cable TV Set-top Box or Digital Cable Set-top Box

- Digital Video Recorder (DVR) such as DISH, Comcast, ReplayTV, or one provided by your cable/satellite provider

- DVD Player/Recorder

- Satellite Receiver such as DISH or DIRECTV

- Video/Security Camera

Since Google TV is not included in their compatible list of products, we cannot guarantee the compatibility with the Google TV. For specific information regarding the compatibility, it is required to contact Slingbox support team. You can contact them from the below URL:

http://support.slingbox.com/go/home

The Slingbox catcher App will not come pre-installed with the Google TV. If the Slingbox Cather app is available in Google PLAY website, then it can be installed to our Google TV.

Only the following apps that are mentioned in the below comes pre-installed on the Google TV:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1019383

callanish Apprentice

Honestly, Bob, I've learned to put more faith in forum members than in customer support to get a real answer to a straight forward question. Case in point. If you read between the lines, there's someone at Sony trying to tell you that the slingbox is somehow a hardware extension of the Sony Google TV box which couldn't be further from the truth throwing it in with DVR's, cable boxes, and video cameras which doesn't apply and that means from the get go, whomever sent this from Sony knows absolutely squat about how a slingbox works and how you connect to it and threw out the standard customer service reply to try to appease you without really knowing the answer. If you had your slingbox also connected to Google Tv, then that's more complicated and the above info could apply, but if all you are trying to do is connect to your slingbox through the Sony Google TV hardware, then that's where they don't have a clue what they're talking about.

They're full of it because

A) The slingapp does come pre-installed within Google TV. It's under all apps, spotlight, tv and movies, and scroll down to slingplayer. As I've mentioned before, it's more of a weblink than a specific app, just like HBOGo or the Amazon player, but it's there. It takes just takes a few clicks to get to the app, but from there, you can put the app on your home screen with a further few clicks for easy access.

B) You won't find it in Google Play. It has nothing to do with the Slingplayer for Android app where you've got to pay to play. Strike 2 for Sony

C) As I've also mentioned on another post, I'm running the Sony NSZ-GS7 now on two slingbox Solo's. Both connect fine, both work fine. I'll be spending more time to connect to them using Google TV in the future to see if there are any bugs, but so far the Sony Google TV hardware is capable of handling a TCP stream without crashing, freezing with remote functions, or dropping the connection as it did on the Logitech Revue, and so as not to exclude Vizio's Co-star, based on other forum members, things are looking good for that product as well for connecting to a slingbox.

So, to sum up. You either take the word of someone that's using the Sony NSZ-GS7 who is currently steaming a product that they say isn't compatible or listen to a bunch of tech support agents that probably don't even have a clue what a slingbox is, never mind if it actually works with their product.

Your call. Besides, if it doesn't work, you can always just ship it back.

bobg9224

Thanks for the response.  I agree, I was just lamenting about the inability to get straight answers from the product manufacturers; not limited to Sony and Slingbox.  You selected the Sony NSZ-GS7over the Vizio's Co-star, any particular reason for selecting the Sony unit?

One other question, you mentioned that you can put the link on your home screen; what are the instructions for doing that?  It always bothered me how deeply buried the link was on the Revue.

Thanks again for the help