14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2012 3:51 PM by mp51998 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

slingbox not turning on

Rebeccarmoore

My slingbox will not turn on. I unplug it and the lights turn on for a few seconds then it turns off.  Any ideas?

• Re: slingbox not turning on
          OvCollyer Apprentice

Try resetting it (hold down the little button at the back for a few seconds) and see if that helps. You'll need to set it up again with your cable/satellite box if you do that though.

Otherwise maybe try a new power supply? If that doesn't work then it must be broken!

barbaraharwood Newbie

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Slingbox Forum.

Here is an article that  may give you some information about the lights on the Slingbox and possible resolutions:

All about the lights on the front of the Slingbox

If this does not help, please call 877-Go-Sling

Thank you,

Sling Moderation Team

anderson9000

Hi Rebbecca,

I am having the EXACT same problem:  The unit has worked flawlessly for months, now is shut off.  When unplug it for a bit and the plug it in again, the lights come on for a few seconds then rapidly fade out.  Clearly, the unit is somehow powered down.

I'll follow suggestions below, but please post any resolution you find.  I'll do the same.

Thanks.

Rebeccarmoore

They are sending me a new one and promised this willl not happen again.

anderson9000

Hi Rebecca,

I logged into this site today to see if there were any updates, and I noticed an announcement in the support section:

Announcement: No power to your Slingbox? Give us a call!

We hope everything's great with your Slingbox, and you're enjoying watching your TV anywhere.

But in the off-chance that you're having a problem (for example, your Slingbox is not powering up, or the power light will not come on, or is blinking randomly) - just call us! We want to help you.

US and Canada customers, call 1.877.GO.SLING. For other countries, you can find the correct contact info here.

Be sure to note the manufacturer of the Slingbox AC power supply (the wall adapter) when you contact our support agents - it will say either "Ktec" or "V-INFINITY". Having that information in advance will help us serve you better.

Thanks,

The Sling Support Team

by

Dana at Sep 16, 2011 11:05 AM

I called the support number and got an answer on a Sunday!  The person I spoke with didn't see initially familiar with the announcement I read, but she followed her script and finally determined I probably need the replacement power supply.  After serial number confirmation and a few other questions, she told me I would have the replacement power supply free of charge in the next 3-5 business days.
                      If that fixes the problem, I'll be satisfied.
                      Still, it reminds me how much consumer electronics have evolved.  No so long ago, TV, stereo, and other electronics failure wasn't very rare.  Now, such failure isn't so common.
                      "Made in Japan" was also a derrogatory term.  Now, it seems "Made in China" (like this presumably-failed power supply) will need to overcome a similar, more recent track record.
                      fredburkholder

I called SlingBox @ 1-877-GoS-ling and they are sending me a new SlingboxPRO-HD - I bought my SlingoboxPROHD in Jan. All they did was verfy my account info and the serial number of my unit and the name of the power adapter. They were very nice about it. Call them. Have a good day.

ACC65230

I called today around Noon.  I was surprised I got someone on a Sunday.  The operator asked for the serial number of the box and the make of the power supply (mine is an Infinity).  The operator told me that I would receive a new Slingbox Pro HD in about 5 business days.  I am to send back my old one in the same box.  All this took was about 5 mins.  I'm very pleased with the service so far.

Harold

bclymer42

Hi all...sadly, I have had the same issue with my Slingbox HD Pro.  Setup 3-25-2012; worked great...easy setup too.  Worked until 5-26-2012...no power light on box.  Tried the normal...plug, unplug...reset...nothing.  Had power adapter V-INFINITY.  They sent replacement KTec in a few days and I get the same reaction.  Power won't stay on.  Can't reset... Bummer, because I can't watch the BIG SCREEN without disconnecting all those cables and such.  lol   I gave them the serial number on the box on the first call, so I'm thinking they will be expecting my next call. 

Really like the slingbox when it is working... I follow tennis and have tennis channel at home.  It's a special geek thing to watch on road trips.  lol

Calling in now for replacement box. 

slingheinlein

DO NOT keep trying to fix it.  It's a known issue related to  the Slingbox itself, a defective power supply, or a recent firmware  update, depending on which thread you read.

The same thing happened to me this evening, I  unplugged/replugged a few times and all of a sudden, SMOKE started  pouring out of the Pro-HD.  So I've currently been on HOLD FOR 56  MINUTES with Sling support trying to get an answer.

Here's the thread that clued me in that it's not just me:  https://community.sling.com/message/66363

Hopefully  sometime soon tonight I will get a human being on the phone who can  help me.....I have another Slingbox Pro-HD in a remote location that I  can't connect to also.  I hope that one hasn't set anything on FIRE.

mp51998

Thx for all the helpful answers on this issue. I used the live chat feature and was told they will send me a new ProHD. They called me to get the CC # before shipment. Other than the long wait time on the Chat agent everything was easy and had no arguements or other issues. Hopefully my new unit will be at my house when I get back in the country so I can set it up. Thx again.