45 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2011 11:51 AM by graffmj Branched to a new discussion. RSS

colour problems

jsorensen

Hi,

Trying to connect my devices to the slingbox pro. I am having a problem with the output from my clarke-tech 5000C. The remote codes I got works great, but the colours are wrong.

What is supposed to be blue is more like orange, and basically all the colours are messed up. It's a bit like watching an old photo negative.

I tried using both S-Video and Component and I get the same problem with the colours.

Any ideas what to do?

Thanks,

Jes

• Re: colour problems
          mousepaws

I'm having problems with the colours now too.. I'm using SlingPlayer 2.0.4.521 , ,. Everything was fine yesterday, now I get a strange bar with weird colours in the bottom. Everything looks a bit shadowed with a yellowish or bluish tint. Other colours are completely the wrong colours as well.  In the older version of SlingPlayer, there was a way to configure the video where it would show two videos and ask "which looks better? Left or right?" "Now which one looks better?" and it would fix the problems.   Apparently the new version of SlingPlayer doesn't have that option. I have no knowledge of how to fix this. Please help, someone.

Apprentice

Hi Jsorensen and Mousepaws,
            Thanks  for participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum! I have a few links  here that you can use to troubleshoot this issue.

When I watch  using Watch on Slingbox.com or SlingPlayer, the colors  are all wrong.  Sometimes, the picture is mostly green. What should I do?

Cable and   Connector Glossary

If the issue persists you can try to reset the  Slingbox and set it up again.

Sling  Media  Support - How to reset your Slingbox

Sling  Media Support -  Setting up your Slingbox

Good luck! 
            The  Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

jfm777

I've got the same colour problems.  None of these solutions work, has any other solutions come to light???

eferz Expert

Elaborate more on your setup.

Slingbox (Classic, Tuner, AV, Pro, Solo, or Pro-HD)?

Slingplayer (Web Slingplayer for Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer, Slingplayer Desktop for PC, Slingplayer Desktop for Mac, or Slingplayer Mobile)?

Satellite, Cable, or DVR set-top box (Manufacturer and Model)?

Type of connection to Slingbox (Component, S-Video, Composite, or Coax)?

Is it also connected to the TV or other device via HDMI?

jfm777

Hiya

Set up

Slingbox pro

Slingplayer Desktop for PC

Satellite - Thomson Sky+ HD.  The model  on details in sky box menu says 902020, although I assume I choose Sky+ - no HD model option in dropdown

Slingbox is component, HD into pro, the video cables in (red green blue) sky box and out on pro

no other connections- just HD and video/audio

Checked cables in ok etc,  seems ok

Interestingly tried on slingplayer mobile and colour is fine, no problems.

Wonder if video settings are too high or something?

Probably a tweak but can't find it

Cheers

eferz Expert

You can try manually changing the (Alt + O) encoding to see if helps.

Also try using the Web Slingplayer and see if you get any different results. (http://watch.slingbox.com)

jfm777

no joy with either options.  STuck with paxman in purple.......

eferz Expert

Too weird.  Test the output connection of the Slingbox to a television to see if that's what being provided or if the problem is in the stream.  Also try using another connection like Composite or S-Video to make sure it is not something with the actual connector or cable.

paulhafer

Just wanted to add my name to list of those experiencing this issue.  I'm using my old Slingbox AV with a Dish Sat/DVR, composite connectors...tried changing out cables with no improvement...same issue using the web slingplayer.  Observations: whether I'm using my Slingplayer software OR the web slingplayer, theyre both using my home network for the connection...however, if I use my mobile slingplayer, or, my sling player at work on my office internet, I have no ghosting color issues. Thanks for any suggestions.

eferz Expert

If I'd give a guess there's probably a problem with one of the underlying services that Slingplayer Desktop or Web clients depends on (ActiveX, DirectX, Codec, or Driver).  That is giving you an issue.

Would you be able to take a picture of the encoding stream of from your Slingplayer?  You pull it up by pressing [Alt]+[Shift]+[i] on the Slingplayer Desktop or hold down [Ctrl] and click on the Slingplayer Desktop video.

paulhafer

I've attached a picture of the Slingplayer image that pretty well represents the issue.

eferz Expert

Actually we're more interested in the encoding statistics.

Would you  be able to take a picture of the encoding stream statistics of from your  Slingplayer?  You pull it up by pressing [Alt]+[Shift]+[i] on the  Slingplayer Desktop or hold down [Ctrl] and click on the Slingplayer  Desktop video.

paulhafer

Is there not a way to copy/paste that info for you, or do you actually mean, "take a picture" of the statistics screen?

eferz Expert

If you press [Alt]+[PrtScrn] a picture of the current window is placed into the clipboard.  You can then open up Paint or and [Ctrl]+[V] or "past" the image and save it as a jpeg and attach it as a picture to a forum post.

paulhafer

Gotcha, ok I think the attached will work

eferz Expert

Alright, it looks like your stats are really low for local network streaming.

A couple of questions:

1. What's your computer's hardware stats?
                                                                2. If you connect your iPhone on your local WiFi network is the results the same?
                                                                    paulhafer

Actually I'm only experiencing the issue on my windows xp sp3 pc on my home network...it is the same whether I use the slingplayer v 2.0.4.521, or the web slingplayer.  The image appears fine on my WM phone on my home network (or the sprint network), and its fine on my (wife's) windows vista pc on the web slingplayer.  It is only a very recent issue however and I dont know of anything that has changed on my pc.  What hardware stats are you asking about?

eferz Expert

CPU Processor, GPU, and memory.

I have a feeling there's a driver, Direct X, Active X, or codec that might be causing the shift in the color.  Unfortunately trying to figure that out isn't so easy.

BrandonC Novice

Paul,

This has nothing to do with your streaming stats, Probably just an issue with VRM9 and the way the web browser works. I suggest you post your particular question on http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum that way it is not combined with other users questions.

But before you do so, turn off VRM9 on your standalone SlingPlayer app and see what happens.

paulhafer

Well thanks! While VRM9 has never been an issue for me in the past, turning it off DID completely resolve the color and ghost issue on  my standalone Slingplayer on the windows xp pc...I tried turning it back on and off a couple of times to confirm this.  Strangely, the issue is still present on the web sling player, but on that pc I would always use the Slingplayer program. Thanks very much again eferz and Brandon

eferz Expert

You can give Brandon all the Kudos, I was still trying to get an idea of what's was going on.

Video Mixing Renderer 9 (VMR9) is a part of the DirectX 9 software.  I wonder what changes could have been made to cause the problem?  Anyways, you could always verify which render the Web Slingplayer is using by holding down [Ctrl] while mouse clicking on the main video window.  Unfortuantely, I don't think it can be changed though.

eferz Expert

jfm777 wrote:

no other connections- just HD and video/audio

Wait, HD and video/audio?  What does that mean exactly?

jfm777

checked it out by using red, white yellow cables from pro to tv.  colours are fine.  So something wrong with the stream??

Should add I also tried s video and no change to colour distortion

eferz Expert

It could be.  Need to use a process of elimination to determine if the problem comes from the Slingbox or your computer.

Open up the stream informaiton from the Slingplayer Desktop by pressing [Alt] & [Shift]+[I] and toggle between the two inputs. Is there a difference between the Codec Type: Video or Video Width or any other information? Maybe a screenshot of the two might help.

jfm777

Statistics attached on word doc. kind of out my depth now in terms of codec etc, so any further help is great.  I'm on Vista, any poss issues there?

eferz Expert

I'm having a difficult time trying to see the image.

Can you use [Alt]+[Prt Scn] to take a screenshot of just that window and then paste it into Paint (Start | All Programs | Accessories | Paint)

We'll need two screenshots of the statics window, one with information with the color is off and the other one where the color is working.

jfm777

Hiya

Here is the stats for not working on paint attached.  will try for one working, I assume thats where you are coming from? not sure how to get that if its on the tv  - or am I being dumb!!

eferz Expert

I'm sorry, I thought that you said you connected the Thomson Sky+ HD into the Slingbox Pro with both Component and Composite Connections.

That would have been able to test if there was a difference between the two connections being broadcasted over your network by toggling between the two inputs on the Slingplayer.

jfm777

Ah   - give up for tonight  Thanks for all your patient help! just tried on component and same issue - ****   !

BrandonC Novice

Hard to tell in the pic but try turning off VRM9 and or VRM7 in your settings.

SmittyLax6

I'm having the same problem.  I have composite, S-video and component all hooked up to my SBox Pro HD.  What happens is I'll be viewing fine and then what I can only describe as a hiccup happens.  Once that happens, the Yellow and Blue ghost thing happens.  Is it watchable?  Yes, but I'm finding this more and more annoying.  Can someone please help?  I love my Slingbox, but this is frusterating.  Oh and after awhile, it will go back to being fine for what appears to be no reason at all.  Thanks.

Smitty

eferz Expert

Since you have the S-Video, Component, and Composite inputs connected, when this occurs do you have the same symptoms on each of the different inputs?

SmittyLax6

Yes, the same thing happens regardless of the input.  It doesn't happen on my phone and it doesn't happen at home on my laptop.  I think it might be an issue with my work computer.

jsorensen

Hi,

I opened the original thread on this, but sorry I have been a bit swamped so didn't get to reply to the thread earlier.

In my situation I have tried s-video and component for the box that is giving me trouble, and I see the shadow colours in both cases. The second box which is connected to the rgb input is not showing these problems.

I saw the comments about disabling WMR9 so I finally got to try that yesterday on an XP box, but unfortunately it made no difference to me whatsoever Still stuck with this problem it seems.

Regards,

Jes

eferz Expert

jsorensen wrote:

The second box which is connected to the rgb input is not showing these problems.

Second box?  RGB?

I saw the comments about disabling WMR9 so I finally got to try that yesterday on an XP box, but unfortunately it made no difference to me whatsoever Still stuck with this problem it seems.

Have you tried disabling WMR7 too?

Also here's another place to check....

hue.jpg

jsorensen

Yeah I have two boxes connected to my slingbox pro, one is connected to the rgb inputs (or what they are called, it is from the scart output of the box), the other one goes to the s-video, but I also tried component for it.

The first box works fine, no problems, the second box is nothing but trouble.

I haven't tried disabling WMR7 as only WMR9 was available to touch in the options page on the XP box.

I am sitting at the airport right now, but I should be able to try the settings in the setup asisstant sometime next week when I get back home.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jes

Luxferrro

I have this problem as well.

Pro HD Slingbox

Coax connection

Firefox sling player plugin

CTRL click shows it's using VRM-9.

This is an intermitent problem... kinda. Sometimes it works fine. But once the colors get messed up, it's hard to get rid of it. You can change the bitrate mode (Auto/Minimal/Good/Better/Best) back and forth between modes, and sometimes get it to fix it self. If you watch it on Minimal, the problems goes away.

It doesn't matter what inputs are used. I've tried them all to try to get rid of the problem. After reading this thread and see lots of others with the problem, I know it's not hardware related. Something is up with your software.

graffmj

I am having the same kind of problems viewing on my slingbox player. The components on the slingbox are all functioning properly. I have a macbook and am using safari... Any suggestions?