8 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2012 5:33 PM by callanish RSS

US to Europe locations

bekonz

Slingbox seems to be the solution for us. We spend our time traveling between homes in US and Europe. While in either location we want to access our tv media (cable/DVR) in HD, to be displayed to our main tv in each home. We have static IP's and enough bandwidth at both locations.Our understanding per reviewing forum posts are: 1) We will need to have a Slingbox PRO HD and a Boxee Box at both locations.2) One Slingbox needs to be purchased in US and the other in Europe. Are we understanding the concept and equipment to achieve this correctly?

• Re: US to Europe locations
          OvCollyer Apprentice

You've got it about right.

I'd recommend checking out the Singplayer Boxee forum though...

https://community.sling.com/community/slingplayer_for_connected_devices/boxee

...and familiarise yourself with the issues being reported. Ditto visit the Boxee site/forum Slingplayer section.

I've not tried Slingplayer on Boxee but I've considered it - however,  judging from the type of things I've seen written from some of those who have (such as, no support for the coloured buttons on the remote control) I personally wouldn't buy a Boxee solely for the Slingplayer until I saw evidence of Sling supporting the product properly and the issues being resolved.

callanish Apprentice

Also, lower your expectations about receiving an HD quality picture. Latency will be a factor when streaming remotely across continents, thus slowing your stream speed down and reducing the kind of picture quality you are likely to receive......no matter how fast your connection is. Slingbox TCP limitations over long distances will most definitely come into play.

Ovcollyer is correct. Lots of issues between owners streaming from their slingbox's to sling's supported connected devices, whether that be to the boxee hardware or a GoogleTv box. My slingcatcher has been the only consistent device that works with the slingbox, but unfortunately it's a discontinued product.

BrandonC Novice

With the newer setup that you can do with the Slingbox TCP port forwarding and latency issues have been reduced quite a bit. If you are using a TCP portforward and have a lag or latency problem there are ways to bypass the tcp setup which fixes a lot of latency issues.

Here are a couple of posts about this http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/slingbox-and-port-forwarding/ and http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/general-sling-box-discussions/slingbox-pro-hd-freezes-optimizing-while-streaming/page-3/#p196

callanish Apprentice

Brandon,

Out of everything I've tried, turning off port forwarding to make the box run Snatt is the only thing that has Increased my streaming speeds, but it eliminated my ability to run the slingcatcher. Also, The optimal MTU size was done a while ago on my setup and after spending quality time testing, the stream speed increase was marginal.

As far as I can fathom, I'd have to purchase a UDP monsoon product to avoid most of the problems with latency, but I've yet to come across anyone that's getting more than 30% of their max upload slingbox speed when slinging at really long distances while using a TCP stream.  In my case with a 5mb upload in the U.K from two slingbox's streaming to a location 5000 miles away, I'm only getting a 1.3mb stream to the slingcatcher and a max of around 900kbps to an IPad. In NY, over 3000 miles from my slingbox, I was getting 40% of my upload speeds from the U.K ( close to 2mb's ). Speeds on both the U.K and U.S west coast ISP's have been verified as accurate, so what exactly is left to adjust on the router in the U.K outside of turning off port forwarding and taking TCP out of the equation and more to the point, what newer setup are you referring to that bypasses TCP latency issues? I'm reading the info in those links, I'm just not seeing the answer. It's late, so apologies for not finding what specifically you are trying to point out.

Thanks....

OvCollyer Apprentice

Have you tried using a proxy server?

Some people have had success getting around the TCP latency issue by using a proxy server - such as one provided by the company "Trusted Proxies".

For some, this appears to change the routing to the extent that dramatic speed increases can be obtained, although it doesn't work for everyone. The company I mention above (I have no affiliation with them, btw, but I have used their services and can recommend them) will let you trial different servers in different locations to find the one that works best for you.

callanish Apprentice

OVCollyer, thanks for the reply. Would seriously have considered a proxy server if the slingcatcher supported it, but it doesn't, and that's where the majority of my viewing is on. If only sling would put more resources into fixing the problems with their connected devices. I could run a proxy server on my logitech revue GoogleTV box, but the sling app for it is so buggy that it hardly seems worthwhile. I know the revue could handle the higher proxy speeds, because I'm running it using a DNS server from unblock-us allowing me to access U.K content using Chrome for BBC's iplayer content, tvcatchup.com etc. and can watch BBC HD streamed to me without any problems. I just use the slingbox mostly for the U.K sports channels which I record on a DVR due to the time difference. Not a major problem overall, because the viewing quality on the slingcatcher at 640 X 480 is still watchable, but I'm hoping that my ISP's upgrade to a 10mb upload / 100 mb download in October improves streaming speeds. .

So, bottom line, if sling ever release either an app for a connected device that works the way it should or a genuine slingcatcher 2.0 ( doubt that ) which would support a proxy server, then I'd sign up for the service. So far, I'm just waiting to see if my ISP upgrade in October does anything for the streaming speed, but I think outside of running a proxy server connected to a P.C hooked up to a TV for the faster speeds, I'm stuck with what I've got. At least the slingbox connection is consistent and stable, so I'm thankful for that.

Thanks for the input.

OvCollyer Apprentice

I know of a workaround to the lack of proxy option on SlingCatcher which I have used successfully myself.

However, it requires a 'spare' Mac or PC ideally connected directly to your router (if you have a home media Mac/PC, then that would be ideal, and it needn't be a powerful one). The idea is that your Slingcatcher is then configured to connect directly to this computer on your LAN which then connects onto the proxy server. This is achieved by running two small applications on the Mac/PC - one free one written by me which waits for connections from the Slingcatcher, and one not written by me which you would have to buy which is called "Proxifier" which then intercepts the Slingcatcher connection and connects it to the Proxy server instead.

If you have such a spare machine I can try and help you set such a system up - however I'd recommend that before embarking on it (it is a little fiddy to set up) that you first test out the effect of using a proxy server using the web player (I think the Windows web player has proxy options, though I don't think Mac one does) to see if it is actually going to help or not.

It's a real shame that things seem so bit half-baked with the SlingCatcher/Connected devices side of things - neither appear finished and the latter programme seems to more about expanding onto new platforms (Facebook etc) than polishing up those already released and giving the best possible user experience. But there ya go

callanish Apprentice

Sorry for the late reply......long weekend away without e-mail to distract me. Appreciate the offer to get the slingcatcher up and running with a proxy server, but to be honest, it's all a bit of a hassle. I'm sure it works, just can't be bothered with running one device to make another one work faster . It's a shame because I still love the slingcatcher, although it's a dinosaur in the tech world, but updates for the slingcatcher were given up on before it ever had a chance to become a great product. I am still interested in testing out a proxy server through trusted proxies. I notice they have a $20 a month service for the slingplayer with a 350gb a month cap; which is a good deal. If it turns out that my 10mb upload increase from my ISP in October doesn't change stream speeds all that much and that adding a proxy server gives me an impressive boost in speed, my take on things is that I'll be hoping that some connected device is released into the market, supported and updated by sling, so that it just works like the slingcatcher but has the ability to use a proxy server that can take over the duties of the slingcatcher. Maybe the next gen of GoogleTV or Boxee hardware will have a stable slingplayer. That's the one thing that's always bothered me about sling is that they have the sending side of streaming covered, but the receiving end has always been a hit or a miss if you want to watch a video stream on a big screen TV. P.C's using HDMI cables to the TV, ipads using an hdmi cable or airplay, discontinued slingcatchers, buggy boxee and googleTV connected devices. Seems there's a home market waiting to be filled for one product that can handle a sling stream with some sort of remote hardware to bring it all together on the big screen. That slingcatcher was ahead of it's time.....just didn't sell.

Anyway, thanks again for wanting to help. Frankly, I would rather not mess with the setup I have, because if past luck is anything to go by, I'll probably make a hash of it causing all my internet connected equipment to have a tech meltdown. Sometimes I can just look at a piece of tech and it'll fail on me. I have that kind of skill.

Regards

LTM