10 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2012 12:56 PM by MacBrian RSS

Tivo Premiere - changing channels issue

MacBrian

First, I understand that Slingbox still hasn't got a specific remote selection for the Tivo Premiere.

As per other discussions on this forum I've set my Slingbox Solo to use the Tivo Series 3 and all seems good except the on-screen remote lacks the colored buttons.

BUT, the channel changing isn't working correctly. I've tried all variations offered by the setup -- no leading zero, one leading zero, whether or not the enter key is sent, etc.

I'm using the Tivo with an over-the-air antenna so the channels all have a hyphen in them -- for example, "3-1" or "8-2". The hyphen doesn't seem to be sent when I use the guide to try and go directly to a channel. (Using the Guide either in a web browser, or in the iPhone application.) Selecting a channel on the guide doesn't change the channel on the Tivo -- it either goes to a non-existing channel (such as "3" without the "-1") or it simply defaults to the channel the Tivo was currently tuned to.

On the remote, I can access the channels by clicking "8" then the "->" forward skip button which has the hypen in parenthesis on the remote's image followed by the sub-channel and it works. The problem is only when trying to go directly to a different channel with the guide. The correct channel numbers that include the hypen isn't being sent by the Slingbox.

Channel-Up and Channel-Down also work just fine.

Anyone have any ideas?  Is there a different setting I should be using somewhere??

--Brian

• Re: Tivo Premiere - changing channels issue
            MacBrian

Thanks -- wow, I haven't haunted "JP1" for a long time! 

So what do I do with the files? The web setup I did for the Slingbox is all some Flash-based application that runs inside the browser window -- I don't remember there ever being an option to load something that wasn't already available in the pop-up menu.

I'm on a Mac and the instructions are all about Windows systems...

???

--Brian

alanrichey42 Master

My apologies, I thought the instructions were better than that.   I've written a new comprehensive set, and a copy is attached.   Could you do me a favour and work through them and point out any improvements/changes that are needed.

Al

MacBrian

Wow, thanks a million!

I've attached two JPGs with suggestions for clarification on the instructions.

The SlingPlayer app on my Mac now has the Tivo Premier remote -- awesome! Channel changing now is accurate through the SlingPlayer app -- and choosing a channel in the Guide sends the correct codes to the TiVo. Hooray!

Unfortunately, I didn't have luck with getting the Premier's remote to show up in the web broswer version. See the JPGs for details. I'd really like this to work, so let me know if it looks like I missed something imporant. Channel changing with the web browser guide is also accurate now -- hooray again!

BUT, channel changing using the iPhone app's Guide or Favorites is NOT accurate. It's not sending the right channel numbers and it seems to be inconsistent. Fortunately the gesture for Channel UP and Channel DOWN works, so it's not impossible to work your way to the correct channel, just frustrating. I also notice on the iPhone app that when I choose the remote's keypad, the "hyphen/dot" key is grayed out. I suspect that's a clue as to why it's not sending the correct channel numbers to the IR blaster.

Any ideas on what to do about this problem on the iPhone? Is there a *worthwhile* method of commnicating with Sling about this?

Thanks again for your help -- hope you find my comments in the JPGs useful.

alanrichey42 Master
                        I've attached two JPGs with suggestions for clarification on the instructions.

Good, thanks for the feedback.  Unfortunately I know absolutely zero about the Mac and have had to reply on people for the information, so some things you mention I am not sure of.

1.   You talk about the 'Setup Assistant' being inside the Package Contents, but surely that is just the folder.  Here I am talking about the Slingplayer.  In the Windows version the menu structure is Settings > Setup Assistant.  Is it different on the Mac ?

2.  I find the fact that V1111 did not work most odd as that is the wording I have used for years and no Mac owner has ever mentioned it not working.  And changing the name of the BIN file is not allowed, it should have screwed up the whole system.  Confusing.

3.  I'm actually not sure about the read-only.  You definately need it on Windows when you use the SPR file, so I put it in just in case.

4.  Again, I have no idea why you need both the directory and the spr file on the Mac.  You certainly don't in Windows.  I was just relying on what someone told me.  But as it seems to work....

Unfortunately, I didn't have luck with getting the Premier's remote to show up in the web broswer version. See the JPGs for details. I'd really like this to work, so let me know if it looks like I missed something imporant. Channel changing with the web browser guide is also accurate now -- hooray again!

Again, I can't really help here.  You are quite right there is no way of selecting a different Remote on the web-version, another odd omission by Sling.  What happens on Windows is that once you have selected the remote image you want using the standalone Slingplayer it is automatically used by the we-based version.

BUT, channel changing using the iPhone app's Guide or Favorites is NOT accurate. It's not sending the right channel numbers and it seems to be inconsistent. Fortunately the gesture for Channel UP and Channel DOWN works, so it's not impossible to work your way to the correct channel, just frustrating. I also notice on the iPhone app that when I choose the remote's keypad, the "hyphen/dot" key is grayed out. I suspect that's a clue as to why it's not sending the correct channel numbers to the IR blaster.

Have to fall on my sword again here as I don't own a Tivo Premier either so not sure.   I'll see if I can find someone else who can assist.

Any ideas on what to do about this problem on the iPhone? Is there a *worthwhile* method of commnicating with Sling about this?

If you find one let me know   I've been asking for a long time to have access to the technical personnel who actually understand how these things work, but so far with no success.

Al

MacBrian

I have Parallels on my Mac -- I'll try doing this in Windows to see if changing it in the Windows player will change the web browser version! I'll let you know...

MacBrian

OK, I loaded the SlingPlayer in Windows XP inside Parallels on my Mac. I'm surprised how well it worked. I followed the instructions and got the TiVo remote to show up in both the application and the web browser. Unfortunately the application's setup didn't allow me to pick the over-the-air ATSC program line-up for my ZIP code! The OTA choices available in every other configuration were absent from the Windows SlingPlayer app's setup.

<sigh>

This made no difference on the Mac side, excpet that on the Mac app I had to rerun through the setup  to correct the program lineup.

Nothing has fixed the problems using the iPhone's guide and how it doesn't send the proper channels to the TiVo.

So this was an interesting exercise, but it's apparent that Sling has only got stuff about 85% right and apparently that's good 'nuff for them.

I still don't get why they don't have the TiVo Premiere available -- the Premiere is FAR from a new device and they've had plenty of time to have added it!

Thanks again for your help!

--Brian

BrandonC Novice

I am surprised that there still isn't a SM supplied Premiere remote since we made that TiVo Skin a year or so ago.

That skin and setup was created mainly to work with the stand alone windows player. Without going into a lot of details is was designed so that you could place the skin files in the remote folder and then right click on any remote shown and select it. It was not designed to appear automatically or replace other skins that were available. IE, default, tivo, tivo s3.

Since there is still no SM supplied maybe we should change the skin and the bin file to be more specific to the Premiere. That would basically require the bin file to be recreated using a code number like 2013 and the xml file changed in the skin to specifically look for it.

That should force the web player to use the premiere skin and not try to use the default one.

Let me know what you think. Worth the effort?

MacBrian

Oh, interesting!

So how does one lobby to Sling to get them to do the right thing and add support for the Premiere? It's not like they haven't had TWO AND A HALF YEARS since the Premiere was introduced.... 

What got me started in all this is the iPhone's Guide is not sending the correct channel numbers to the IR Blaster. It's very inconsistent. I bought my SlingBox Solo used on eBay and I initially set it up in the web browser and had picked the "Series 3" thinking that was actually the Premiere. Once I discovered the iPhone problem, that's when I discovered the Tivo remote image lacked the colored buttons and then I found out the the Premiere would actually be a "Series 4" had they kept the "Series" designation. So I started trying to find out if getting an actual Premiere remote would solve the guide channel changing problem on the iPhone.

So far....nothing. Also of interest the numeric keypad on the keypad in the iPhone app has the hypen/dot button grayed out, so I can't even enter "12.1" or "8.3" manually! All I can do on the iPhone is Channel Up and Channel Down, since that doesn't issue keypad numbers to the Tivo at all.

I tried to chat with Sling tech support, but since my Solo is "out of warranty" they want $30 to chat. I declined. I spent an outrageous $30 on the iPhone app -- for THAT kind of money it should work at LEAST as well as the web browser! The correct channel numbers are sent from the web browser guide so what's wrong with the iPhone app? Wonder if I spent another $30 for the iPad app if I'd discover it doesn't send channel numbers correctly either??

<sigh>

In the grand scheme of things, just to get the colored buttons, I can't image how having them would be all that critical when running the Tivo in a remote setting and that's probably whey Sling isn't concerned with adding specific Premiere suppot to the setup. But basic functionality in the iPhone app is buggy and needs addressed!

Does Sling have a bug-reporting mechanism?