17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2012 7:08 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Remote control not configured

scoddy

Hi,

When watching the slingbox via the internet, the remote control recently disappeared i.e. appears as not configured.

I went through the setup to configure inputs and can select the correct sky + hd remote etc, but it asks me for a zip code to confirm i.e. 5 digits US.

I live in the UK and cannot input, so cannot continue, and remote control remains unconfigured.

If anyone has had the same problem, please let me know how you resolved - nothing has changed on my end as far as I know.

Many thanks,

David

• Re: Remote control not configured
          alanrichey42 Master

Just put any ZIP Code in.  It's only for the Program Guide and you won't get tht anyway.  I use 90210

scoddy

Hi Alan,

Thanks for replying - should have mentioned in my post, but did try putting a random zip code in but didn't work.   What satellite provider do you enter in the next question?

Tried your suggested zip code but same outcome - when I go back to view online, remote still not conifgured. btw am sitting in Thailand at the moment and slingbox in uk, if relevant.

Thanks,

David

alanrichey42 Master

Same answer, it doesn't matter.   Any of them

scoddy

yes, but after choosing any one of them, remote still not configurable

alanrichey42 Master

remote still not configurable

Sorry, that means absolutely nothing to me.   Please remember I am not psychic   and tell me EXACTLY what you are doing at each step and what happens that you are not expecting.

scoddy

as per my original mail the remote control has disappeared.  Therefore:

1. went through the slingbox setup process and configured inputs

2. at certain stage it asks you for a US zip code

3. entered the zip code you suggested

4. asks you to choose satellite network - chose 'any of them' as you suggested

5. still doesn't work - when I watch online, no remote appears - not configured, same as reported originally. back to step 1

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I assume the remote appears half way through the process so you can test it ?

When you finsh and select "Watch TV", what happens to the top line ?   Mine says "Loading Remote" for about 5 seconds then the Remote Image appears.   I assume yours does not ?

What happens if you put the cursor over the "Remote" word, does it turn white or stay grey ?   And I assume if you click on it the remote does not appear/disappear ?

scoddy

Yes, the remote appears during the process and works fine.

After set up complete, and clicking on watch tv, Loading Remote also appears for a few seconds.

Then Input Not Configured text appears in its place, with no remote 

alanrichey42 Master

Can you test it on another viewing platform ? That way you will know if the problem is with the Slingbox or the PC

rlancaster

I am having the same problem.

The slingbox was set up and had been working correctly since 2010.  There's little kids at the home network and it seems that along the line some little hands undid one of the connections.  Fixed the connections, but apparently the "reset" button on the slingbox was hit during the process.  I've gone through and did the configuration steps, got to the point where it shows the remote, tested the remote, put in the zip code of the home network, etc.  Everything checked out on the configuration.  Then I click "Watch Live TV" and the bar at the top of the viewing window where the remote button should be says "INPUT NOT CONFIGURED."  I've gone back through the configuration steps about 5 times now and nothing changes.  What now?  The slingbox is less useful when I can't turn on the Cable box or change the station.

alanrichey42 Master

Have you tried a proper hard reset ?

rlancaster

After receiving your post about trying a hard reset, I did the hard reset and ran the configuration again. Everything appears to configure correctly.  However, when I watch live TV, the remote still says it is not configured...  Any other suggestions?

alanrichey42 Master

Afraid not, looks like a hardware failure.

rlancaster

I just tried again from a different PC, different browser.  I ran the setup again.  After that is complete, I go back into the "configure inputs" button and it shows up with the right cable box.  Then, I go to Watch Live TV, and the remote again does not load.  When I go back to the setup, it again says unconfigured.  Any ideas?  Is the problem that I am not continuing to the "set up internet viewing" button?  I am not at home near the slingbox (I called home and had someone else do the hard restart).  Should I direct someone through the "set up internet viewing" dialog?  I will not be terribly pleased if this is a hardware failure...

alanrichey42 Master

Ok, I am now confused.  After a hard reset you CANNOT run the setup from a remote location, you have to be at the Slingbox location.

rlancaster

I go here http://setup.slingbox.com/start#/reConfigure/index and click "configure inputs" which takes me through the "program guide" button as well.  I can't do "set up internet viewing" because I am not at my home network.  But, I can go to "watch live tv" but the remote does not load.  Is the "set up internet viewing" what I am missing?  I can see watch what is being watched on the cable box, but I cannot turn it on or off or change the channel because the remote doesn't load.  Hopefully that's less confusing.  Thanks for your help by the way!

alanrichey42 Master

Hopefully that's less confusing.

Not really   Let me try and explain.  There are 3 stages to setting up a Slingbox.  

1.  Initial configuration

2.  Input sources

3.  Internet viewing.

Now if you do a proper hard reset then all 3 need to be done again and you cannot do Number 1 from a remote site, you have to be at the Slingbox location.  If you can still see the video then I suspect your helper didn't do a hard reset he did a soft reset, ie just tapped the reset button.   For a hard reset you need to hold the button in for 10-30 seconds.  You have proven a soft reset didn't cure the problem,  but if he did a proper hard reset then he would have to run the initial setup.   And there is no guarantee it will work, as I still suspect your Slingbox is broke !!