11 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2012 3:43 AM by colinghamilton RSS

remote problem

colinghamilton

My remote is working fine on tv but is not showing the on screen commands. i have tried everything that SB recommend but nothing seems to work, any ideas please.

• Re: remote problem
          Apprentice

Hello colinghamilton,

Thanks for contacting us on the Slingbox Answers Forum. Below are links that will provide you key troubleshooting steps to resolve the remote problem that is occuring.

Advanced IR Blaster or Onscreen Remote Control Troubleshooting

IR Blaster or Onscreen Remote Control Troubleshooting Basics

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

colinghamilton

Thanks Archie tried all of that still same problem

alanrichey42 Master

Can you be a lot more specific about your problem, I don't actually understand what you mean.

Al

colinghamilton

My remote is showing when i watch virgin cable through lap top but i cant see any of the commands eg if i search for catch up tv i can see what the remote is doing on the tv but not on the lap top, hope this is clearer.

Colin

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I think you will find this has nothing to do with the Slingbox.  It is a 'feature' of many devices, including the Virgin box that the 'secondary' video output does not display a lot of things like menus and messages.  The logic is that you are normally using the secondary output to drive a VCR and you don't need the extras menus.

The solution is to drive the Slingbox from a primary output and then use the pass-through feature to drive the TV.

colinghamilton

Alan appreciate your reply but could you give it to me in layman terms please

alanrichey42 Master

Unfortunately I have no idea what the outputs are on the back of your box.  I am guessing it has HDMI, Component and maybe a couple of SCARTs ?  How do you have everything wired up ?

colinghamilton

its a virgin + box with both hdmi and scart from virgin to tv the reason for both is that the virgin remote only works with the hdmi lead in. the scart from the virgin has the component leads attached which then go to my slingbox, it does seem a strange set up but it was a friend of mine that connected it this way.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, going back to my previous post, Virgin have decided the HDMI is the primary output so everything is displayed on that and using HD.  They have designated the SCART socket as a secondary output (and it only normally outputs SD rather than HD) so things like messages and menus are not transmitted through the SCART socket.

Now that is a decision made by Virgin, not Sling, so actually you should be discussing this with them as there is nothing Sling can do about that.

Not sure about the dual wiring to the TV, that doesn't make much sense, but I can understand the way your friend did it.  But be VERY careful with your terminology.  Are you REALLY sure it is a component HD connection (orange/blue/green for video and red/white for audio) and not a composite output (yellow for video and red/white for audio) ?   I would be very surprised, although I have heard of some boxes where the SCART socket has a component output.

colinghamilton

Yea sorry its composite  (yellow,white,red) have you any ideas on a better set, one which would show my remote.

alanrichey42 Master

Assuming you don't have a component output are there 2 SCART sockets ?   Maybe one is a primary (often marked TV) and one secondary (often marked VCR).   If so make sure you are using the TV one.

What happens if you unplug the HDMI ?  Maybe the system will then use one of the SCART as the primary.

You really need someone familiar with the Virgin box to help with this.  Who are the manufacturers ?  What is the model number ?

I am assuming you have read the manual before posting this ?  Is it not mentioned in there .