22 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2012 9:31 PM by vanhaajf RSS

Network fail!

PhilipMc

I tryed to log on to my SlingBox Pro and it failed getting an error message.
      Now tonight I've can see that the network light on the SlingBox Pro is out, but the light on my network swich is flashing on and off!

I have tryed powering off and on the box... no joy...
      I tryed short push on the reset swich... no Joy..
      also holding in the reset swich for over five seconds ... no Joy..
      And the last thing that I have tryed is holing in the reset and repowering the unit...  And no joy!!!

I'm I missing something here...
      The network light only comes on for a short time after repowering the unit, then it go out. But as saying the network light on the hub/swich keep flashing on and off like the SingBox is trying to work...

If you have some thought on this It would be great.

Thanks.

• Re: Network fail!
          Apprentice

Hello PhilipMc,

I can definitely understand why you have contacted us in regards to your network light flashing on the front of the Slingbox. Below I have provided some links that provide key troubleshooting steps to help resolve the issue that is occurring.

The Network light on your Slingbox blinks or turns off

Setup at Slingbox.com

Hope this helps,

The Sling Moderation Team

PhilipMc

Hi,

I have worked my way down that list and all the way to doing full reset.

The network LED on the slingbox only comes on when I power on the box, then it go out... The light on the network swich LED keep coming on and off after that.

And when I try the reset swich the LED's don't flash as discribed..

So is this box dead?

Philip

PhilipMc

Hi,

So I take it as being dead now then..........

So is there a way to unbrick it or not?.....

Philip

tangoklw Apprentice

Hi Amanda,

I'm wondering what type of network switch this guy is using.  From what I read, the network LED on the Slingbox lights up when he turns on the Slingbox, but then it goes off.   The network switch LED is flashing.  It sounds to me like a problem with the network switch rather than the Slingbox.  Perhaps it is not configured correctly or is not supported by the Slingbox.

Karen White

Foster City

PhilipMc

Hi all,

I take it that no one know how to fix my box
                  As the box look like it is starting right, but then the only light left on is the power LED....
                  Even with know working CAT5e pluged in the LED on the hub just keep flassing on and off...

So I take it is DEAD then....

I would be nice to know is there another way to get load the software in to the box using the USB port or by opening the unit up and telneting it on to it....

vanhaajf

I have the same problem with my SB Pro.  I called support but they require me to pay $30 to get help.  From all the support forums I've reviewed what is supposed to fix this problem is hitting the reset (which I've done lots of times to no avail - nothing happens when I hold down the reset button - nothing!).

Only other option is possibly buying a new power supply but really do I want to spend $20 just to see if this box is really dead or not?

Anyone have some other suggestions?

Really SB support team - this seems to be happening a lot with your products, least you can do is support us better on this. 

adriankorsner Newbie

My box has done exactly the same thing. After switching on or resetting only the power lamp remains on.

I swapped the Cat 5/router with another piece of equipment (Humax Box) and that works fine. So everything is working and there is a signal there but the slingbox won't find it and hook up.

I've done everything suggested but to no avail.

What next?!!!!!!!!!!

Adrian

vanhaajf

I ended up buying a replacement power supply...plugged it in and still nothing.

Nor when I hit the reset button - nothing happens - no lights flicker, or cycle or anything...

i've changed locations, cables, PS and pretty much the slingbox is DEAD!!!!

Rather bummed actually... I wonder what caused this.

beckifields Novice

Hello Fellow Forum Readers,

We do have a few other things that might help.

The first is to make sure that the Slingbox is hard wired to the router.  This will sometimes help relieve a poor Internet connection.

Another thing to try is to actually manullay configure your router for port forwarding.  Check out this article below that will help you folks with this:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/network-assistant.html

Hope these steps help!

The Slingbox Moderation Team

vanhaajf

Yes I've configured my router manually and plugged it into the closest point on the router - I know I have good signal... that's not the issue.

Still nothing works. 

The fact that I can hold the reset button in for over 30sec or even up to a minute and nothing happens... nothing... absolutely nothing ... Means it's likely dead dead dead...

fredysandoval

i have the same problem

beckifields Novice

Hello vanhaajf,

Thanks again for the reply. You mentioned that you called in previously, but did not want to pay the $29.99   charge.  Just to inform you, we have seen a small batch of devices that are defective and not connecting to the Network.  How it works is that if you call in and pay the PPI, and we determine that it is this issue, we will either refund or waive the actual PPI fee.

Cheers,

The Slingbox Moderation Team

adriankorsner Newbie

I'm using a three year old PRO which has been working fine for all that time.
                                        I'm connected by a hard wire into my router. This cable works perfectly with TV or Humax update so I know the cable, connections and router are all fine.

I went to log on and out of the blue, could not. Checking the front of the slingbox I see the network lamp is not alight. I've been through all the advice but nothing makes a difference. The reset button sometimes has an effect getting lights to flash briefly but then all but power lamp go out. Other times I don't even get a response.

Does this meen the slingbox is broken? If I called up regarding this, would I have to pay $30 possibly to find the machine is unfixable?

Thanks

Adrian

shaysfn Novice

Hey adriankorsner,

I understand that you are having connection issues your Slingbox PRO.  I would recommend that you call in so that one of our awesome representatives can help solve this issue for you.  This article, Contact Sling Media explains how to get in contact with us.

If you are in the US, simply call, 877-GoSling (877-467-5464).

We will need some information from you, such as the serial number of your Slingbox, which is located on the bottom to the Slingbox, and the name of the power supply.  If we do have to charge you the $29.99  PPI fee and then find that there is indeed a hardware issue with your Slingbox, we will refund that PPI fee back to you.

We value our customers and will go out of our way to take care of them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team.

adriankorsner Newbie

Thanks for your kind offer.

I am in the UK.

I really don't want to incur a fee just to find out the machine is no good.

I just want a clue as to what the problem might be.

If there are faulty machines which are recognisable by serial number then surely that info can be given without payment.

Its not like I have done anything to the machine, its been sitting on the table untouched and suddenly just packed up.

I wouldn't even mind buying a new HD machine but if the problem is not in the machine then the replacement won't work and that will be more aggro.

Also, I'm not crazy about the HD machine as it doesn't have an HDMI output which seems pretty strange for that type of equipment.

Hope you can help with a bit of customer service.

Adrian

shaysfn Novice

Hey adriankorsner,

I just wanted to let you know, if we do charge you the PPI fee, and we do find that there is a hardware issue with the Slingbox, we will refund the PPI fee back to you, essentially, that means nothing out of your pocket.

I do have a number for our customer support in the UK for you as well, that number would be, (020) 7294 0157.

If you wanted to provide me with the serial number for your Slingbox, I can check and see the status for you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Moderation Team

sbakerpc

I have the very same issue with my Slingbox, and it appears to have happened about the same time as everyone else's problems on this thread.  My PRO worked without any issue, and then in mid-May, it failed.  I have tried every combination of connecting it to the network - direct to my cable router, through a wifi router, etc. - and nothing gets a network response.  The Reset button gets no response at all.  Power light is on continuously.  I've tried using cables that are known to work.  Help, Slingbox!  Seems like many of us are having identical issues caused at the same time.  Can you please help us with a solution?

amdade

Hi Guys

Same problem here, been working fine for many years,

network and power lamp flash in antiphase.

Any ideas ?

Andrew

adriankorsner Newbie

The silence from slingbox is deafening. They ignore any call for help.

Mine's been not working for months. Do I want to buy a replacement, yes but will I, don't think so.

Adrian

amdade

Im on my first replacement power supply. Im going to try another one to see if this fixes it, suspect could be power supply. The replacement bit smelly plastic melt so try this even though shows 6V on the output.

I read somewhere that there was a fix that involved replacement of capacitors inside the unit but not sure where I saw that.

amdade

Hi Guys

just to let you know the new power supply fixed my problem, up and running again :-)

So, network issues in my case were symptom of a faulty power supply.... even though the output appeared ok on my dvm

vanhaajf

I replaced the power supply too and it didn't help at all.

It's been sitting on my desk collecting dust.  Just not sure what to do with it as I don't want to dish out the $30 just to talk to someone about it.  And I also have the sentiment about the HD slingbox - now why you have an HD slingbox without an HDMI cable attachment... The SB PRo is the only one with the HDMI...

Anyway, guess mine will continue to collect dust.