2 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2012 3:17 PM by sojac RSS

Slingbox Pro-HD will not view certain TV Channels w/ TV turned off???

D_Original

I have a Slingbox Pro-HD (running current Slingbox software/firmware) connected to a TiVo Series 3 DVR via Component Cables.

For a select few channels (HBO, FOX Soccer etc.) I can't view the content remotely via any Sling Client (Browser; iPhone/iPAD; Mac/PC Sling App)!

I can view all other channels just fine, however when I navigate to one of these channels I get a floating message:  "HDMI Connection not Supported" on a Black Background -- No Video and No Audio.

The real stumper is that the Slingbox Pro-HD doesn't have an HDMI Port ... it uses Component Cables to connect to the TiVo and stream HD content.

I would have accepted a bad, unsupported or non-HDCP-compliant HDMI Cable, except there is no HDMI Cable anywhere in the connection of the TiVo to the Slingbox ... !?!?!?  There is an HDMI connection from the TiVo to the TV -- but that should not in any way affect the TiVo-Sling connection!?  And even if that TiVo to TV HDMI connection was part of the issue, why does it not affect any of the other channels ... some of which are premium channels, yet work fine!?

Strangely, after years of complaining about this and Sling not having a clue how to address it, I've stumbled upon somewhat of a workaround.

If the TV in this setup is Turned ON, all of the Audio/Video content is now magically available for the same channels where it was previously being blocked!?

For the life of me, I can't figure why this is as-it-is and it's quite inconvinient when there's no one at home to turn on that TV while I'm viewing remotely.

Does anyone have the faintest idea what the issue is here and how I can resolve it once and for all...!?

I've waited through years of Slingbox Updates and no resolution at all to the problem.

In fact, Sling Support seem even more befuddled than I am by this!

BTW:  I also have a Slingbox Pro (Legacy) w/ the HDMI-to-Component Connector attached to another TiVo Series 3 box and that unit (even with it's HDMI connector) does not suffer from the issue -- i.e. I can see the same channels on the older unit w/ HDMI, that I can't see with the newer unit on Component Cables and all the while the Error Message I see on the Non-HDMI connected unit is:  "HDMI Connection not Supported" ... !?!?!?

Any assistance would be appreciated...

EM

• Re: Slingbox Pro-HD will not view certain TV Channels w/ TV turned off???
          Apprentice

Hi D_Original,

It seems that you are having some issues with your Slingbox PRO-HD since you can get only some of the available channels.

Although you have provided some specific details about your home network layout, the root cause for this behavior is the HDMI cable you are using between the DVR and your TV set. Even though the Slingbox has no connection to the HDMI cable, your DVR might be affected by the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) restrictions.

I recommend you to remove the HDMI cable from your DVR and use the Component cable (RGB) from the DVR to your Slingbox and TV set and see how it works. The following article will provide you with all the detail about this specific situation:

I get no video with any SlingPlayer (Watch, Windows, or Mac OS)

Hope this helps!

Regards.

• Re: Slingbox Pro-HD will not view certain TV Channels w/ TV turned off???
            sojac Newbie

@D_Original,

The situaton is very clear. Some channels (HBO, FOX Soccer etc.) force your TiVo to protect their contents by HDCP. TiVo checks all the time if the device connected to its HDMI output is HDCP-compliant. Most of the TV sets are not HDCP-compliant, when they are in the stand-by mode. It is because they switch off the power supply of their HDCP module then. When TiVo detects that the device, which does not support HDCP is connected to its HDMI output, stops streaming audio and video and sends to all its video outputs the requester informing about the HDCP problem.

How to solve this problem I just wrote here few months ago: https://community.sling.com/message/59786#59786