5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2010 7:11 PM by muellzy61 RSS

Bandwith usage doesn't add up

Drew345

I am worried this month (NBA playoffs) about going over my Comcast "Excessive User" threshold of 250GB in a month, so I installed a bandwidth monitor on my computer (I mean the receiving computer running the slingbox viewer). The comcast subscription is at home with the Slingbox, there is yet no way to measure the bandwidth usage at home but comcast is testing a usage monitor and maybe in the future that will be possible. Anyway, so I am monitoring on my "receiving" end computer.

So I got the bandwidth monitoring program "Bandwidth Meter Pro". Today I watched a 2 hour basketball game and had sling speeds between 1400 kbps and 1600 kbps the whole time. So that is 2 hours = 7200 seconds. At a bandwith of 1500 kbps for 7200 seconds that is total of about 10Gb downloaded. But the bandwidth usage program said that I downloaded only 1.1 Gb total for that game (that day basically).

Am I missing something?

the sling rate is confirmed by the slingviewer software and the Bandwidth meter pro. Both showed 1500 kbps the whole game

Total data = time * download rate

Anyone else ever run a bandwidth meter while using the slingbox and notice this?

Anyone ever run into the Comcast "Excessive User" threshold?

Thanks

Drew

• Re: Bandwith usage doesn't add up
          alanrichey42 Master

I think Kbs is KiloBITS/second not KiloBYTES/seconds.

Drew345

I think you are right! Thanks!

So when comcast says we get 250 GB/month . That is Giga Bytes. I double checked, it is definately Giga Bytes.

When our speed is in kbps it is kilo Bits.

One Byte = 8 bits.

So that explains why 2 hours at 1500 kbps comes out to 1.1 GB (not 10GB as I said earlier).

And it means I can watch every Playoff games and not worry about excessive usage!

Thanks,

muellzy61

Can you please explain to me how this works exactly for Bandwidth usage.  My slingbox pro HD is hooked up at my parents house with only a 60GB data transfer per month.  Im in Europe for months at a time watching tv from my laptop say an average of 5 hours per day.  Will I use up all of my parents data transfer or does it not effect it.  Does it only effect the data usage when I'm watching tv from my laptop using the internet provider in Europe.  Do you know of any links that would help me with this matter.  Im also streaming at an average of 1500 kbps (kilobits). How much kBps is that.  Man am I confused. haha. I just don't want to get slammed with a huge internet bill.  Is my slingbox uploading and my laptop downloading? Does that make sense.  

Thanks for your help!

eferz Expert

You might want to verify with your parents ISP if "60GB data transfer per month" includes both uploads and downloads.

Yes, bandwidth usage across your Slingbox eco system would be both upload (Slingbox) and  download (Slingplayer) from each ISP.  So, lets say you had a bandwidth cap of 30GB per month while in Europe and your parents has a 60GB per month bandwidth cap.  You'll hit your Europe's bandwidth cap twice as fast via download before you hit your parent's cap via upload.

But, in any case you only mentioned the bandwidth cap of 60GB for your parent's ISP.  So, lets use simple math and assume you're the only one eating their bandwidth through the Slingbox.

60 seconds in a minute
                    60 minutes in an hour
                    8 bits  in a byte
                    1024 kilobytes in a megabyte

60 seconds * 60 minutes * 1500 kilobits / 8 bits / 1024 kilobytes = 659.1796875  megabytes per hour.

1024 megabytes in a gigabyte

1024 * 60 / 659.1796875 = 93.206755555555555555555555555556 = 93 hours and 12 minutes of streaming

93.206755555555555555555555555556 / 5 = 18.64135111111111111111111111111 = 18 days

So, streaming at 1500 kilobits for 5 hours a day, you'll reach thier 60GB cap in about 18 days.

Okay, now your turn.

Train A, traveling 70 miles per hour (mph), leaves Westford heading  toward Eastford, 260 miles away. At the same time Train B, traveling 60  mph, leaves Eastford heading toward Westford. When do the two trains  meet? How far from each city do they meet?

P.s.  If you're away from home and spending 5 hours a day watching TV, the problem isn't the bandwidth cap.  Go outside and play!