13 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2012 4:39 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Tivo HD remote live TV button doesn't work in SlingPlayer for iPad 1.5.4.

fong888

With the new SlingPlayer for iPad 1.5.4 remote, Live TV button for Tivo HD doesn't work anymore.  Web browser based SlingPlayer and iPhone SlingPlayer's Live TV button for Tivo HD works fine, but it is broken in the iPad SlingPlayer 1.5.4.  Any help would be appreciated.

• Re: Tivo HD remote live TV button doesn't work in SlingPlayer for iPad 1.5.4.
          alanrichey42 Master

Sounds like a bug in SPM for iPad.   Hopefully the Moderators can pass this on.  In the short term if you really need the button I can produce a Custom Remote that will force the SPM to display a configurable generic remote skin and map the Live button to something else.

fong888

Thank you for replying to my problem.  I do use the Live TV button for Tivo HD often.  I don't know anything about SPM or a Custom Remote, but I am willing to try anything.  Where is the Custom Remote setup?  If I do use a Custom Remote does that mean all other means of remotely viewing SlingBox will also be using the Custom Remote?

fong888

SPM = Sling Player Mobile!  I figured that one out!  Thanks!

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I need to explain exactly how the system works.   There are 2 aspects to the virtual Remote Control.   The first aspect is a set of binary codes that are stored in the Slingbox that tell the Slingbox exactly what IR signal the IR Blaster should transmit when a certain button is pressed.   These IR signals are specific to your device and were downloaded to the Slingbox when you ran the setup and told it you had a Tivo HD.   Becasue this is stored in the Slingbox it is common across ALL viweing systems (Slingplayer, WebSlingPlayer, Facebook, SlingPlayer Mobile, SlingCatcher...)

The second aspect is the on-screen image of the remote.   This is specific to the viewing platform and also contains a set of binary codes so that when you tap a button it sends the correct code to the Slingbox.   So, for example, if you tap the Ch+ button the on-screen remote transmits a specific code to the Slingbox that tells it to transmit the Ch+ code to the device.  The Slingbox looks at the code and send the correct IR signal to the device.

Now it looks to me as though when Sling designed the TIVO remote image for the iPad they have got the Live button code incorrect so that it sends the Slingbox the wrong code and nothing happens.   As you have seen, the code in the image designed for the other platform is correct so the button works.

Does that make sense ?

The bad news is that we cannot do anything about the button-to-code mapping of on-screen image on the iPad, that has been built by Sling and only they can change it.   Hence my request to the Moderators to report this as a bug.

Now, the good news is that we can replace the set of Binary files inside  the Slingbox with a new set we have designed ourselves.  Obviously we don't want to break the other platforms so 99% of the code will be the same.   But what will happen on the iPad is that you will lose the nice pretty image of the TIVO Remote and you will get a generic-looking remote image instead.   But the important thing is that we can configure that as much as we like so I can map the Live TV code onto another button.

I should point out also that Sling have made rather a mess of the new  iPad app and have designed it so you cannot access any functions that  are not on the remote image  (In the PC/Mac you can right-click on the  image to access them, and on the iPhone they are included in the  functions).  And there are a fair number of buttons specific to the TIVO  (thumbs up/down, Clear, Standby,...) which are also not on the generic  remote so you will have to have those functions mapped to other buttons  on the remote (maybe have Thumbs+/- on the Page+/- buttons ?), making it  not very intuitive.   It's all a trade-off.

So basically the decision is yours.   Either you have the nice realistic TIVO remote showing on your iPad and you don't have access to the Live button, or you get a generic remote displayed that will have a working LiveTV button and some rather illogical button-to-function mapping.

Back to you :-)