9 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2010 10:52 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Button Mapping requests?

Rophic

Hey all,

I was just wondering how often Remote control button mapping requests are addressed.

I have my Slingbox connected to a TiVo (Humax 800) the model I'm assuming is possibly not all that common with other Slingbox users, since the direction buttons are not mapped correctly (which is critical functionality when working with a TiVo)

I have completed the Survey http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005640.html back at the beginning of April.

I don't wish to sound impatient and I also acknowledge reading a statement saying that I probably won't hear anything back unless there are questions that need answering after I submitted my button mapping request, but in over a month, I am still having difficulties navigating round my TiVo and I've not had any feedback or confirmation that my request has even been received.

Does anyone know if all reported button issues are addressed eventually?

Or is this kind of request based on customer demand etc?

If there is a way I can manually remap these buttons myself and someone can share the details,  I'd be happy to attempt to resolve the issue myself.

Thanks for your time!

Simon

• Re: Button Mapping requests?
          alanrichey42 Master

Hi Simon

I doubt very much if you will get an answer.  After waiting for 2 years for Sling to add the PVR controls to my remote I gave up and started building my own Custom Remotes.  I now use them all the time for exactly the same reason as you, I like the flexibility of re-mapping buttons.

First, can you confirm the EXACT model number of your Humax TIVO (there are about 10 different Humax '800' models) and  tell me what button re-mapping you need and I will try and build a Custom Remote for you.

Cheers

Al

Rophic

Hello Al,

Thanks for you reply.

The model (according to the TiVo label) is Humax DRT800F

The majority of the buttons work fine, the only issue I'm seeing which is soooo annoying is with directional keys:

Slingbox Remote              TiVo Response

Left                                     Down

Down                                  Right

Right                                   Left

Up                                       Up

I really do appreciate your response !!

Regards,

Simon

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I couldn't find an exact match but I think I am close enough.   So try the test Custom Remote at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8410

The present mapping of the buttons is covered in the README file.   Assuming it works and solves your direction button problem let me know what changes you want.   if it doesn't work we will have to try something else.

Cheers

Al

Rophic

Al,

You are a star!

That works 99%.

Thank you so much for investing your time into assisting me with this problem.

I don't want to overstep my welcome, but could you maybe assist me just a little further...

There are a couple of buttons that don't seem to function with this custom remote.

The M key (or Menu button) On the TiVo there is a TiVo button that brings up the DVR options, I would expect the Menu button to behave in the same way but currently this doesn't appear to do anything at all with this custom remote.

Also Page up and Page down on the remote does Thumbs up and Thumbs down on the TiVo

And Channel Up and Channel down performs Page up and Page down on the TiVo.

This is not a big deal, although the Thumbs up and Down is probably not going to be used nearly as much as Page up/down and Channel up/down would.

I'm not sure what the alternative Mapping could be for this, Use the color buttons for Thumbs up and down maybe?

And last but not least, is it possible to use the TiVo "Peanut style" remote skin, or do you have to the use the Generic remote skin when you customize like this?

Again I sincerely appreciate everything you have done to help with this problem.

Kind Regards,

Simon

alanrichey42 Master
                          >>>I don't want to overstep my welcome, but could you maybe assist me just a little further...

Of course.  Although I guess you didn't read the README file as most of your points are covered in there :-)

>>>The M key (or Menu button) On the TiVo there is a TiVo button that brings up the DVR options, I would expect the Menu button to behave in the same way but currently this doesn't appear to do anything at all with this custom remote.

OK, I put the TIVO function onto the White button.  Is that the function you want on the Menu button ?   Otherwise check out all the Custom Buttons and see if you want one of those moved to the Menu button (or maybe to the colour buttons).

>>>Also Page up and Page down on the remote does Thumbs up and Thumbs down on the TiVo

Intentional, as I said in the Readme file :-)    As you say, they are very rarely used so could be moved to the Custom buttons ?

>>>And Channel Up and Channel down performs Page up and Page down on the TiVo.

Well I can swap over Page+/- and Ch+/-.   But do you not need a Ch+/- on the TIVO ?  Do any of the buttons do that ?

>>>And last but not least, is it possible to use the TiVo "Peanut style" remote skin, or do you have to the use the Generic remote skin when you customize like this?

Check the Readme file :-)  (The answer is no)

>>Again I sincerely appreciate everything you have done to help with this problem.

No problem, just get back to me with your revised mapping needs.

Al
                            Rophic

Al,

Wow do I feel stupid!

I completely missed the scrollbar on my notepad and thought the Readme ended at troubleshooting point 3

Yes you are correct, the White button does function as the TiVo button.

You also mentioned:

"But do you not need a Ch+/- on the TIVO ?  Do any of the buttons do that ?"

Again this is not a huge deal, but yes the up and down arrows at the bottom of the number pad do work as Channel Up and Channel Down.

When flicking through channels on using the cable box, it's quite often I use channel up and down, expecially when the movie channels are all 3 digits and grouped together.

My Ideal setup would be to have the following;

Channel up and Down function as Channel up and down

Page up and down function as Page up and down

Menu = TiVo button

Thumbs up Green Button - (like the green TiVo thumbs up symbol)

Thunbs down Red Button - (like he Reg TiVo thunbs down Symbol)

If this a pain to achieve however I really do appreciate what you have done already, and thank you for your time!

All the very best,

Simon

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I have changed the Menu button to TIVO and done the Thumbs Up/Down on the colour buttons, but I think you might be mistaken on the Channel +/-, Page+/-.   The 2 arrows at the bottom duplicate the  main Ch+/- buttons so if they work the main ones should as well.   Are you sure it isn't context sensitive, so that the Channel buttons work as both Ch+/- and Page+/- depending on the screen you are in ?

The new remote has the same codes mapped to the Ch+/- and Page +/- buttons.  Does that work for you ?

Same link as before.  Remember to overwrite the BIN files in your \SBAV\ folder with the new ones and then re-run the Video Setup.

Cheers

Al