1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 9:55 PM by WhatDoesThisButtonDo RSS

Using sling box Pro-HD over VPN/Internal network

ballyboley

Hi, I'm wanting to try and use my new slingbox pro HD over a VPN private network, I will be on a completely different subnet and I have a router which establishes an IPSEC site to site VPN to the building where the slingbox is located.  I can ping the slingbox with no issues and access any other IPs across the subnets, however the sling product seems to be adamant it wants to be setup with port forwarding etc from the internet which I have no need to set up as I will only be accessing over the VPN.

All these web pages are great, but why can't I simply type in the IP of the slingbox like it was possible to do on the old slingplayer software? I am using MacOS and although I have the slingplayer software, it says it wont work with HD?

Is there some sort of software that will work on PC or mac and allow me to watch full HD video but also access the slingbox via only a specified IP address?

Thanks

• Re: Using sling box Pro-HD over VPN/Internal network
          WhatDoesThisButtonDo

ballyboley: "I can ping the slingbox with no issues and access any other IPs across the subnets, however the sling product seems to be adamant it wants to be setup with port forwarding"

I'm having a similar issue... I think.  It looks like others have too: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2066112

I can ping the Slingbox while on the same subnet, but it won't respond to a ping across a router; other devices on the same subnet the Slingbox is on respond to the ping just fine across the router... so this i know this isn't a router or firewall issue.

- Ping 172.16.2.254 from 172.16.2.100 = OK

- Ping 172.16.2.254 from 172.16.1.100 = NOT OK

The Slingbox is obviously capable of routing over a private subnet hop and internet (through 172.16.2.1 to 172.16.1.1 to the ISP), given remote viewing works... but I'm not sure why I can't ping the darn thing from the 172.16.1.0/24 network segment when other devices on the 172.16.2.0/24 subnet respond.

I just want to view my Slingbox from a device on another routed private subnet, without using VPN or NAT or Port Forwarding or Bridging.  Has anyone else been able to get their Slingbox to work in this seemingly simple manner?