10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2013 3:59 PM by bugsmm Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Problems with Directv premium channels

dhobstr

Really weird problem. My husband uses slingbox on weekly basis. This weekend he used it Saturday and it was fine, on Sunday he tried to watch some of the movie channels thru Directv that we subscribe to and it said "your tv does not support this content replacing the TV hdmi cable with component cables will allow you to view this program". The weird thing is when I turn the tv on, the programs can be viewed on slingbox, either the apps or Internet.  I just don't understand why one day it works and the next it doesn't.  All the other channels work fine, with tv being off or on.

• Re: Problems with Directv premium channels
          nemrod811

i got this error the other day aswell tryin to watch Game of Thrones.i just backed out to recordings and went back in selected the ep i wanted and it worked with no error. right now i cant even watch my slingbox im getting an connection error and im all the way in kuwait

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

alanrichey42 Master

I just don't understand why one day it works and the next it doesn't.  All the other channels work fine, with tv being off or on.

Simple answer I suspect.  I would guess DirectTV did an overnight remote update of the firmware on your Satellite receiver to prevent premium channels being recorded.   There are other posts on the forum blaming HBO for it

mikelanne

It's interesting. I'm getting the same error when I try to view a Stars recorded show via my Slingbox Solo. The message states it's an issue with my TV - well, that's a lie. The TV works just fine. In fact, I can view the program from ANY TV in the house.

In fact, the problem lies with the Slingbox, NOT the TV. The Slingbox is preventing the program from being viewed. Sounds like Slingbox needs to do an upgrade to accomodate this.

mikelanne

Oh, and I forgot to mention I already have component cables running from the DVR to the Slingbox. Not sure if the message is telling me I'm supposed to replace the HDMI cable from the DVR to the TV (but that makes no sense).

BrandonC Novice

mikelanne wrote:

Oh, and I forgot to mention I already have component cables running from the DVR to the Slingbox. Not sure if the message is telling me I'm supposed to replace the HDMI cable from the DVR to the TV (but that makes no sense).

Disconnect any HDMI cable you have connected to your DVR. Then use the in/out component cables to/from the Slingbox.

The Slingbox can only show you what it is receiving. If DTV does not allow you to connect HDMI to a TV and component to another TV (or SLingbox) and watch all channels on the second TV (or slingbox) then you need to take it up with DTV,

bigrichdavis

Try unplugging your HDMI from your tv before you go away. Plug it back in when you get home. I can see all pay channels on my slingbox this way (HBO,SHO,ect.)

bigrichdavis

Try unplugging your HDMI from your tv before you go away. Plug it back in when you get home. I can see all pay channels on my slingbox this way (HBO,SHO,ect.)

bugsmm

And YES, it is THAT SIMPLE!!! Unplug your HDMI from the set-top box and you can SEE EVERY CHANNEL YOU OWN (rent). I have a dedicated HR 21 that no one watches that serves as my "Slingbox Box". It is plugged into my router (Linksys EA 4500) and no one really uses it; heck, it won't even record shows anymore. Despite that, I have access to my DVR Whole Home playlist AND my subscription Directv premium channels.

I just purchased my Slingbox 350 on 5/31/13, installed it and took my Google Nexus to work. On my lunch break I just tooled around a bit.  That's when I had my issue with premium channels. No issues with my recorded stuff, but the "test drive" left me feeling a bit robbed. I furiously Googled my way into the issue until I arrived at this forum. I read this post and thought: "no way can it be that easy". For me it was that easy. Your mileage may vary, but I tried several channels with ZERO ISSUE.

Again, my box has no useage, so that may be a problem for some of you. But if your set-top isn't in use, unplug the HDMI from the Directv set-top.

Done.

Wiegand4

Yes, this is weird.  Everything used to work fine then all of a sudden I can not view premium channels on the Slingbox, UNLESS the tv is on and the channel is selected and THEN I CAN watch it on my laptop via Slingbox.  As soon as I turn the tv off, I receive the HDMI message.  I think Directv did something.