13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 25, 2010 7:19 PM by ReneeJoh RSS

Blackberry Tour

Tuanv

I've had this Blackberry for about a year. Everytime I try to download Sling, it won't work. It says my phone is not supported. Well when I bought this phone last year, it was Verizon's newest Blackberry. As of today, it's still not supported. Will it ever be? SHould I stop looking for a sling app for this device?

Thanks

• Re: Blackberry Tour
          brya3289

Sling...can you enlighten your customers as to whether you even plan on supporting the Blackberry Tour 9630 with a version of Slingplayer Mobile?  We're not asking you to nail down a date...but only if it is planned for the future.  Otherwise, some of us may need to decide on a different phone/OS if we would like to use our Slingplayers with our phones.  Would appreciate any [minimal] guidance you could give your customers.

Expert

Hey guys -

With regard to the request for future SlingPlayer Mobile for BB updates, this community for Enhancement Requests is definitely the best place to post requests like this, as the focus here is directed towards product development.

Note that Sling pays attention to these forums and always trys to incorporate customer feedback. But, as we've stated in lots of other posts, we want to keep the focus on the technical stuff here (fixing problems, etc.). We will not be commenting on unannounced or unreleased products, simply because this is a technical support forum, not a rumor site.

Please know that we're listening and we're telling you all that we can! Keep checking this page for updates:

SlingPlayer Mobile for Blackberry

Thanks,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderator Team

bobjig

If that is the case why can't you give us a better answer to the question.  When or if, Sling will support the BB Tour????

eferz Expert

I'll take a stab at answering that. "Because they don't know."

Tuanv

I disagree. They do know. It's not going to be supported. It might be because the phone is now discontinued. It would take too much to make an app for something nobody will use (except for those that already have it). Whatever the case, they should have just come up with a press release that says, "We're sorry but we will not be making an app for the BB Tour because it's a discontinued phone and it also happens to be one of BB's least sold models. For those that have this phone, we apologize. We suggest you buy a more popular model by BB".

Expert

Hey all - we posted something very similar on a discussion about another BB model, but it's valid here as well.

We don't know if or when the Tour will have a version of SPM, so unfortunately I don't have a definitive answer for you. I can say that the Enhancement Requests community is indeed monitored by Sling and taken into full account when developing SlingPlayer Mobile or any other products. I wish there was a way to provide more feedback to customers waiting to see if a product is happening or not via this forum, but it's just not information that we have.

Two quick points that I hope will help:

1. Spurred by the feedback we've received through threads like this one, we're working on new request forms (think direct petitioning) for currently unsupported BB platforms. These will be present on our website and provide a much better aggregate of customer demand for new development than the Answers Forum can produce. Our Moderators will go through these threads and post links to those request forms wherever appropriate just as soon as they are up.
                    2. Beyond that, one of the best things customers can do to push for SPM for BB Tour is contact their cell providers and contact RIM(Research In Motion) and raise the same questions! More and more customers asking them for SlingPlayer Mobile really helps us to make it happen faster.

Hope this helps ease your frustration a bit. The demand is clearly here, we just need your help get the word out to the right ears.

Thanks,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

gellmanb

1. Please add my voice to requests for support for the BB Tour 9630 on Verizon, or indeed any recent Verizon BB (I'm thinking of getting the 9650 soon).

2. If you want to encourage us to contact VZW and RIM, please give us pointers to the most effective email address or web link.

mfsaker

Firstly, why is it one has to find Enhancement Requests forum by accident.  If SM wants us to use this forum for the kind of question:  "When will Tour be supported?", then there should be an easy way to get to this forum, with an easily found icon to click.

Secondly, as to the issue of BB Tour:

OK, if it's true that the Tour is now discontinued, then I, frankly, can understand why there would be no SlingPlayer Mobile for the Tour.  However, I do not believe the Storm 2 is discontinued, and I think they use the same device software version -- v 5.0.0.591.  So, assuming Storm is still a viable phone, why no SlingPlayer Mobile for that version of BB.  As much as I hate the Storm, compared to the Tour (My wife has the former, and I have the latter.), at least if SM would support the Storm with the VZW service, I would probably switch to the Storm.

I think it has more to do with Verizon and their issues with respect to limiting the so-called unlimited data plan.  What I don't understand is what that has to do with Slingbox.  That issue is between the VZW data subsriber and VZW.  The truth is that one would be very hard pressed to ever approach the VZW limit per month of gigabytes that can be used -- even with SlingPlayer Mobile.  Very few would ever use the little screen to any extent, but it would be nice to be able to do it in a pinch.

I guess my point is that I do not understand why Sling Media is avoiding the support of BB for VZW subscribers, but SM does support the Windows Mobile versions of phones that are with VZW -- or they did.  I used to have a Verizon Motorola with Windows Mobile device software, and I bought and was able to use SlingPlayer Mobile on that phone.

Therefore, I know that there are a lot of people out there who are reasonably knowledgable on this stuff, and I would ask them WHY?

Thanks in advance.

eferz Expert

mfsaker wrote:

Firstly, why is it one has to find Enhancement Requests forum by accident.  If SM wants us to use this forum for the kind of question:  "When will Tour be supported?", then there should be an easy way to get to this forum, with an easily found icon to click.

Obviously, the web master who controls this website either did that intentionally or is incompetient.  You pick.  But after participating in this forum for a couple months, I'd lean towards the latter.  The forum moderators are at least helpful in the aspect of moving posts into Enchancement Request Forum, which is contrast to their support of copying and pasting links which can be searched from the Knowledge Base.

I guess my point is that I do not understand why Sling Media is avoiding the support of BB for VZW subscribers, but SM does support the Windows Mobile versions of phones that are with VZW -- or they did.  I used to have a Verizon Motorola with Windows Mobile device software, and I bought and was able to use SlingPlayer Mobile on that phone.

Therefore, I know that there are a lot of people out there who are reasonably knowledgable on this stuff, and I would ask them WHY?

Thanks in advance.

Speculation is speculative.  I like to think of Sling's directive on development support as analogous to that of the common masses.  Whatever platform is hot on the headlines is going to have the most development focus.  The most recent being Andriod, hence the incoincidental release of the Andriod client.

Watching this manner of support directive is like watching a child with an attention deficit disorder in a room of shiney objects.  So, if there is a client available for your mobile phone then thank the stars that your device was shiny long enough for them to produce a client.

There are a lot of other devices that do not have a Slingplayer Mobile client available.  Worse, there are clients like the Blackberry Bold 9700 that had support at one time, but now the owners cannot keep up with OS updates with fear that it will break the functionality of the Slingplayer client.  This because Sling Media is unable to keep up a relative version of their software.

When I spoke with Verizon (today) she said the lack of support is on Sling Media's end, not theirs.  Can you explain why? Is it because they use CDMA? I want to get a sling box, but wont until there is a sling media app for VZW Blackberry phones.

OKAY, I HAVE THE TOUR 9630..... AND IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING; I DONT HAVE MY SLING BOX YET, BUT I WAS ABLE TO LOG INTO MY ACCOUNT.... AND IT LOOKS @@ TO ME LIKE IT WILL WORK,

LOVE TO HAVE ANOTHER TOUR USER TRY IT OUT!!!!

Its for the bold..... but it seems to be working

http://download.slingmedia.com/player/mobile/bb1011/US/SlingPlayer_bold_EN_US.jad

DO WHAT THEY SAID COPY THE LINK, AND EMAIL IT TO YOURSELF!!!!!

TOOK ME RIGHT TO THE DOWNLOAD OPTION PAGE THRU BB!!!!!!!

SO HAPPPY!!!!!

ReneeJoh

I recently recieved a slingbox, set it up only to discover that my Blackberry Tour is not supported yet.  Please know that I anxiously await the download that supports my phone.