6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2010 9:07 PM by grimmrimmer RSS

Slingcatcher stutters: fade to black

strells

I have a Slingcatcher attached to my home wifi network through a Buffalo wifi to ethernet bridge, and normally it works great (other than the annoying delay in controlling my Tivo connected to a Slingbox Solo elsewhere in the house).  Anyway, I tend to get a number of audio stutters during normal operation, most notably when a program fades to black.  This is all on my LAN, so the network speed regularly tops at least 3 Mbps and I never see the "buffer bars" go down, indicating that it's starting to run out of the buffer.

Why might I be getting the stutters, and why do you think it most often happens when fading to black?  Has anybody else noticed this?

Steve

• Re: Slingcatcher stutters: fade to black
          Novice

Hi strells,

You may need to restart or reset your SlingCatcher, try the steps  outlined here:

SlingCatcher  freezes after streaming video from a Slingbox for a  long, long time

Thanks,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

alanrichey42 Master

Funnily enough I have recently (last couple of weeks) seen the same  symptom of stuttering audio, even though the streaming rate remains rock  solid (576kbs in my case) and the video continues apparently unaffected.  And this happens only when using the Slingcatcher. Using Slingplayer I don't see the problem.   Disconnecting and reconnecting temporarily solves it but that may be just a coincidence and it might have self-healed if I had left it alone.  Hadn't associated it with fading to black though, I will watch out for that. 

Not sure why you were pointed to the link about video freezing after a long time, that is a completely different problem that I also see occasionally.  This problem only affects the audio, which seems odd as you would instinctively think the video feed would be more sensitive to Internet problems.  Or are they carried on different channels ?  I don't know enough about the technical side of the Slingcatcher to know if this is a logical fault.   Maybe someone reading this might know more ?

Al

RichT

Hi Alan,

I have the exact same Slingcatcher audio stuttering problem that your describe. Once the stuttering starts it gradually gets worse until completely unusable.

Video works perfectly - 5600Kbit/s on a local LAN - and the only way to clear the problem is to either unplug and re-connect the LAN cable or turn the Slingcatcher off and on again.

I have a second Slingcatcher which exibits exactly the same problem and it is completely reproduceable - the SlingCatcher just needs to be on for a 'period of time' and the stuttering will start.

I went through the whole Slingmedia support process without success. I swapped Ethernet switches for hubs, tried different link speeds, everything. My own personal theory is that the LAN-speed connection is over-running some audio receive buffers somewhere.

I eventually gave up with support and have been tolerating this irritation until someone, hopefully, fixes it but there haven't been any software updates for some time.

This is such a shame because in all other respects the product works beautifully. Maybe your experience and mine will reach out to someone in Slingmedia with a conscience ...

Rich.

alanrichey42 Master

Interestingly, I have 2 Slingcatchers, one in the UK and one in the USA.   I was experiencing the audio 'stutter' when I was watching USA TV in England.  At the moment I am in the USA and I watched all 3 hours of the British Grand Prix without any problem.   That leads me to believe that the problem doesn't lie within the SLingcatcher but somewhere else in the system.    No idea where though 

grimmrimmer

Me too.  Watching the Sling Catcher on my home network is extremely painful.  It usually shows up around 10-15 minutes into streaming.  No buffering issues, video looks perfect, but the audio just stutters like mad.  I've been waiting for a firmware update to resolve this issue for what seems like forever, but I am starting to think it will never happen.  It's such a shame too, because I really want to like it.  It's pretty surprising to me that a basic setup such as simply watching the Sling Catcher on a LAN can cause such a show-stopping bug.

I wonder if the old firmwares exhibited this behavior???

strells

No.  I am not having the problem mentioned in that article.  As I said, these are audio stutter, not video freezes.  Resetting or restarting does not fix it.  There is something going on with the way data is being transmitted when a program fades to black at commercial or between scenes.  The transfer rate of my network never goes down when this happens.  I can reliably reproduce this by simply replaying the fade to black video.

Steve